movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: movies

Post by Heston »

Face/Off hasn't aged as well as Con Air.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 3:17pm
I like both of them, been a while since I've watched them. Right now, I'd probably choose to put on Face/Off given the choice because I like an energetic John Travolta.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

("Yeah, looks like." Thinks Medulla)

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

:lol:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 5:44pm
Heston wrote:
I like both of them, been a while since I've watched them. Right now, I'd probably choose to put on Face/Off given the choice because I like an energetic John Travolta.
I was fully expecting Con Air to be dated as fuck, but held up really well, so entertaining and knowingly cheesy. Face/Off took itself a bit more seriously and used a lot of computer/effects stuff, which let it down a bit. Also went on about half an hour too long.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Heston wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 5:57pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
I was fully expecting Con Air to be dated as fuck, but held up really well, so entertaining and knowingly cheesy. Face/Off took itself a bit more seriously and used a lot of computer/effects stuff, which let it down a bit. Also went on about half an hour too long.
Yeah, I think those criticisms are more than fair. There's a madcap energy to Con Air. You can also find it in the parts of Armageddon when they're still on Earth.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 5:58pm
Heston wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 5:57pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Yeah, I think those criticisms are more than fair. There's a madcap energy to Con Air. You can also find it in the parts of Armageddon when they're still on Earth.
I've never actually seen Face/Off. I sort of did at the drive-in. We sat thru a nightmarish double bill of Addicted To Love and Batman and Robin, and Face/Off was playing on the screen behind us. I watched a fair chunk of it via the sideview mirror as Arnie made awful ice puns.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Cult of Chucky (2017) Don Mancini, who has written all and directed the previous 2 Chuckys, returns for the 7th entry, a direct sequel to 2013’s Curse of Chucky. Wheelchair-bound Nika (Fiona Dourif) is transferred to a lower security asylum and trying to come to grips with how she, not Chucky, massacred her family in the previous film. What better way for a doctor to pull her back in to reality than force her to interact with a Chucky Doll. There’s actually a few dolls that show up in this one, and it’s not too long before the other inmates start to go bye-bye. Full grown Andy (Alex Vincent from the first two films) has also been carrying a Chucky grudge all these years, and he joins the party after hearing about it on the news. Lots of fun, lots of kills, plus Jennifer Tilly and a surprise post-credit cameo. Ade due Damballa, give me more Chucky movies, I beg you!

Ben (1972) Sequel to the previous year’s big hit Willard, about a man who commanded an army of rats to commit murder. Ben, the lead rat who survived the first film, keeps his army in the sewers, coming up at night to ravage supermarkets and befriend Danny, a sick kid who has marionettes and writes a hit song for Michael Jackson on his piano. (Danny sings “Ben’s Song” during the film and Michael Jackson does over the end credits, Mike would have a #1 with it for Motown) Cops look for rats, kid torn between right and wrong…I mean the rats are murderers, but they’re also his only friends! Meredith Baxter (Michael J Fox’s future TV mom) plays the sister.

Wolf Guy (1975) Streetfighter himself, Sonny Chiba is the title character, a werewolf/newspaper reporter. At least I think he was a reporter, he said he was, but I never saw him doing any reporting, but anyway…He sees a rock band torn to shreds one by one by an invisible tiger, which came from a curse from a former lounge singer who they gang raped on orders from Yakuza, and she’s now a junky with syphilis and somehow transforms into an invisible tiger! Let me catch my breath. Sonny takes an interest in her and protects her by using his pocket change as ninja stars, among other things. As the full moon grows closer, Sonny grows stronger and circumstances lead him to the land where his werewolf clan was massacred when he was a child. If I have one knock on this sleaze gem, he never actually shape-shifted, just possessed wolf-like instincts and tendencies. Lots of nudity and guitar solo-heavy score, this one had never a dull moment. Japanese with subs.

Frenzy (1972) Alfred Hitchcock’s penultimate film is his most graphic, though not by today’s standards. A down-on-his-luck bar man goes on the lamb when he becomes the top suspect in the case of the “Necktie Murderer”, when his ex-wife falls victim to the sick rapist who has been dominating the tabloid headlines. Some fun lesser characters were the lead inspector and his wife, who has been feeding him inedible dishes ever since she started taking an international cuisine class, but at the same time is able to offer up highly useful advice on the case during dinner conversation. The only Hitch flick with nudity if I’m not mistaken, and my favorite last line of any movie. Great film.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I watched Inland Empire this weekend. Man, I love Twin Peaks, but I still can't make up my mind on what I think about Lynch's other work. I like Wild at Heart, and Lost Highway is decent. Inland Empire was way too long, I think, but Laura Dern was exceptional (as usual).

I generally have a hard time with surrealism in storytelling. I love it as a static art, but I just can't get on board if there's not some kind of reason for me to watch. I can't get into Buñuel's films and some of Fellini for the same reason.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

47 Meters Down (2017) Two white girls vacationing in Mexico go on a boat to see some great white close up when the cable breaks and they sink to the ocean floor with the threat of the benz and a bunch of hungry sharks between them and the surface. They sure had some state-of-the-art SCUBA equipment considering it was a broken down, falling apart boat! They could talk to each other underwater and everything. A few tense moments, it was OK. Matthew Modine was the boat captain.

A Dark Song (2017) A grieving young mother hires an occultist to communicate with her deceased son one last time, but is she holding back on the reason why? The guy puts her through some torturous rituals before they see any results. Pretty slow, and it didn’t pay off as big as I hoped it would. A little nudity. From Ireland.

The Babysitter (2017) Cole is a bullied 12 year old, but one thing going for him is the relationship with his smoking hot, cool as fuck babysitter. Thinking he might catch her messing around with her boyfriend, he stays up past his bedtime, but to his surprise he finds that she and her friends are actually part of a murderous Satanic cult. Now they found out about his snooping, he’d better run for his life! Very funny and thoroughly entertaining. Director “McG” has a resume full of MTV videos, Charlie’s Angels movies and the god-awful Terminator Salvation, but he finally hit the mark with this one.

Jigoku aka Sinners of Hell (1960) A young man on the eve of his engagement is involved in a hit-and-run auto accident, which sets off a spiral of deaths around him. The second half of the movie takes place in hell and is surprisingly gory! An early Japanese horror classic, check it out of you can!

Seven Blood-Stained Orchids (1972) “The Half-Moon Maniac” is slashing women and leaving a pendant in their dead hands as a calling card. Julia was fortunate enough to make it out alive, so she and her husband do some amateur sleuthing, as the cops are idiots, and find their way back to a hotel where she stayed two years ago. Four of the seven women who stayed there on one particular weekend were victims, meaning the remaining ones are in danger. Where is the mysterious American that was spotted with a half moon keychain those two years ago? Fun and stylish giallo from the late, great Umberto Lenzi, with nudity and gore. Specifically notable was one scene with a power drill.

I also watched Friday the 13th on a 17 foot screen outdoors at a friend's backyard with a handful of drunk adults and screaming teenagers. I didn't mind the noise since I've seen it well over a dozen times, the atmosphere was great.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tep's opining is expected and welcome: https://io9.gizmodo.com/10-obscure-cult ... 1819634427

Of the list, I've heard of Trick or Treat but Exorcist III is the only one I've seen. The latter is a pretty good adaptation of Blatty's novel Legion and it has one of the most unnerving shock scenes I've seen because it takes so damned long to occur (the one the write-up mentions).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 2:05pm
I watched Inland Empire this weekend. Man, I love Twin Peaks, but I still can't make up my mind on what I think about Lynch's other work. I like Wild at Heart, and Lost Highway is decent. Inland Empire was way too long, I think, but Laura Dern was exceptional (as usual).

I generally have a hard time with surrealism in storytelling. I love it as a static art, but I just can't get on board if there's not some kind of reason for me to watch. I can't get into Buñuel's films and some of Fellini for the same reason.
Blue Velvet is superb

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 7:49pm
Kory wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 2:05pm

Blue Velvet is superb
Fuck you, you fucking fuck!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 7:33pm
Tep's opining is expected and welcome: https://io9.gizmodo.com/10-obscure-cult ... 1819634427

Of the list, I've heard of Trick or Treat but Exorcist III is the only one I've seen. The latter is a pretty good adaptation of Blatty's novel Legion and it has one of the most unnerving shock scenes I've seen because it takes so damned long to occur (the one the write-up mentions).
The first 5 are all favorites, they stumped me on #9 (Pulse) I never flipped over the J horror, though I have seen a handful, just not that one. Q is great, Ron Cey has a cameo as a cop. I'm serious.