Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

Post by WestwayKid »

...and LP I didn't like all that much when it came out...but one that has really grown on me. I especially like the expanded version he put out in 2009. The sound is huge: guitars, bass, drums - just blasts out of the speakers. Nice mix of short, powerful songs and even the 2 longer songs never get boring (at least in my opinion).

Anyway...and overlooked gem in his collection...and something I've been listening to recently in anticipation of the upcoming release of Low In High School!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 7:45pm
...and LP I didn't like all that much when it came out...but one that has really grown on me. I especially like the expanded version he put out in 2009. The sound is huge: guitars, bass, drums - just blasts out of the speakers. Nice mix of short, powerful songs and even the 2 longer songs never get boring (at least in my opinion).

Anyway...and overlooked gem in his collection...and something I've been listening to recently in anticipation of the upcoming release of Low In High School!
I super agree, but you'll find you, me, and JennyB are in the Morrissey minority here by a wide margin! Moz says that after Vauxhall & I, which was so vocally focused, he wanted to have an album that the musicians could call their own. That's why there's drum solos and stuff on it. I like it a lot. I especially enjoy "The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils" because it samples a symphony by my favorite classical composer.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 7:49pm
WestwayKid wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 7:45pm

I super agree, but you'll find you, me, and JennyB are in the Morrissey minority here by a wide margin! Moz says that after Vauxhall & I, which was so vocally focused, he wanted to have an album that the musicians could call their own. That's why there's drum solos and stuff on it. I like it a lot. I especially enjoy "The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils" because it samples a symphony by my favorite classical composer.
Perhaps my favourite Morrissey album (either that or Viva Hate). Just a lot of energy of the type he'd never entertained. Definitely the last album of his that I found worthwhile. Afterwards, dreck.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Problem is, still got Morrissey singing.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 9:08pm
Funnily enough, his voice never sounded better than on that album.

I found the liner notes on the expanded version really interesting too. Like a mini version of Autobiography.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I actually really like his new single - it has an interesting sound to it and the video is funny. His music has been so important to me - I hope for the best whenever he releases a new LP. I've been let down, but I've also been pleasantly surprised.

If I had to rank his solo albums from most favorite to least favorite I'd probably go:

1) Vauxhall and I
2) Viva Hate
3) Your Arsenal
4) Southpaw Grammar
5) Years of Refusal
6) Ringleader of the Tormentors
7) World Peace Is None of Your Business (his best record cover, however)
8) Maladjusted (the revised version)
9) Kill Uncle

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 9:23pm
101Walterton wrote:
Funnily enough, his voice never sounded better than on that album.

I found the liner notes on the expanded version really interesting too. Like a mini version of Autobiography.
I agree - he sounds good...but what is funny is that apparently he had a bad cold during sessions for the LP. I read an interview with Danton Supple - who was the engineer on the album - and he talked about how they struggled with his voice and later on I read an interview with the man himself where he recalled overhearing producer Steve Lillywhite and Supple discussing their concern for the quality of his singing.

I don't like how his voice sounds on Years of Refusal. He sounds congested and there is an odd timbre to his voice.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
Yeah, that strangulated moaning never resonated with me. I like a few Smiths songs but that's despite his vocals rather than because of them. They were very good musically.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 8:25am
101Walterton wrote:
Yeah, that strangulated moaning never resonated with me. I like a few Smiths songs but that's despite his vocals rather than because of them. They were very good musically.
I've kind of evolved to that position. I don't have a problem with his voice for the most part, but over time I've found him the least appealing part of the Smiths. The other three were very tight musically. Perhaps it's not a coincidence that my favourite Smiths song is an instrumental, "Oscillate Wildly."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 7:20am
I actually really like his new single - it has an interesting sound to it and the video is funny. His music has been so important to me - I hope for the best whenever he releases a new LP. I've been let down, but I've also been pleasantly surprised.

If I had to rank his solo albums from most favorite to least favorite I'd probably go:

1) Vauxhall and I
2) Viva Hate
3) Your Arsenal
4) Southpaw Grammar
5) Years of Refusal
9) Kill Uncle
This would be worse than Sophies Choice for me but I'd go with
1) Vauxhall and I
2) Viva Hate
3) Southpaw Grammar
4) Maladjusted
5) You Are The Quarry
6) Kill Uncle
7) Your Arsenal
8) Years of Refusal
9) World Peace
10) Ringleader of the Tormentors

And I love RotT :)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 10:24am
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 7:20am

1) Vauxhall and I
2) Viva Hate
3) Your Arsenal
4) Southpaw Grammar
5) Years of Refusal
9) Kill Uncle
This would be worse than Sophies Choice for me but I'd go with
1) Vauxhall and I
2) Viva Hate
3) Southpaw Grammar
4) Maladjusted
5) You Are The Quarry
6) Kill Uncle
7) Your Arsenal
8) Years of Refusal
9) World Peace
10) Ringleader of the Tormentors

And I love RotT :)
I just realized I missed You Are The Quarry from my list! I'd probably slot it in between Years and RotT.

I was just listening to RotT and never realized how badly compressed it is. The distortion on the louder tracks is really bad. Same goes for most of his later albums (and I know - music in general).

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Morrissey

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 7:24am
I don't like how his voice sounds on Years of Refusal. He sounds congested and there is an odd timbre to his voice.
I think he sounds better on that album than he has in a while—stronger, certainly—especially on It's Not Your Birthday Anymore. There's some real muscle in those high notes.

My list:
1) Your Arsenal
2) Vauxhall and I
3) Viva Hate
4) Kill Uncle
5) Southpaw Grammar
6) Years of Refusal
7) You Are the Quarry
8) Ringleader of the Tormentors
9) Maladjusted
10) World Peace

And of course, Bona Drag and My Early Burglary Years would be way up near the top if we were counting comps.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

1) Southpaw Grammar (a shame "Boxers" isn't on it)
2) Viva Hate
3) Bona Drag or some other comp of singles and b's up "Sunny"
4) Vauxhall
5) Your Arsenal
6 etc) Crab juice.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:06pm
2) Viva Hate
4) Vauxhall
5) Your Arsenal
6 etc) Crab juice.
You don't rate Kill Uncle? It's his wittiest album!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:06pm
2) Viva Hate
4) Vauxhall
5) Your Arsenal
6 etc) Crab juice.
You don't rate Kill Uncle? It's his wittiest album!
"Sing Your Life" is okay. Everything else should have made wonder whether he still had Johnny Marr's phone number somewhere.