I just want to say...

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: I just want to say...

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 12:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 12:29pm
matedog wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:57am

:cool:
That's worse than "WBTC," right? And "Hotel California"? Leaving aside the unintentional comedy of it all, aesthetically it has absolutely no value, made worse by the fact that it was done by a major, major band.
I love how Brian showed up for this. And Stamos too, but only on that sunset shot where he is barely discernible. The other time they are playing, Jardine's giant kid is playing drums.
It is so awful. The whole Summer in Paradise LP is awful. Zero quality control and a total absence of taste. Such a shame that this was Carl's last LP with the group and that his beautiful voice was wasted on such tripe. I will say I sort of enjoy the re-recorded version of the title track - the one with Roger McGuinn on co-lead and guitar. Other than that - just a waste of tape.

The Baywatch appearance was also so weird. The episode featured Mike, Al, Carl, Brian, and Bruce...but then for the live portion - Carl and Brian are gone...but long lost Beach Boy David Marks is suddenly back?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 2:05pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

That's worse than "WBTC," right? And "Hotel California"? Leaving aside the unintentional comedy of it all, aesthetically it has absolutely no value, made worse by the fact that it was done by a major, major band.
I love how Brian showed up for this. And Stamos too, but only on that sunset shot where he is barely discernible. The other time they are playing, Jardine's giant kid is playing drums.
It is so awful. The whole Summer in Paradise LP is awful. Zero quality control and a total absence of taste. Such a shame that this was Carl's last LP with the group and that his beautiful voice was wasted on such tripe. I will say I sort of enjoy the re-recorded version of the title track - the one with Roger McGuinn on co-lead and guitar. Other than that - just a waste of tape.

The Baywatch appearance was also so weird. The episode featured Mike, Al, Carl, Brian, and Bruce...but then for the live portion - Carl and Brian are gone...but long lost Beach Boy David Marks is suddenly back?
So weird. Summer 2015, I developed a fascination with that album and Still Cruisin'. It's well documented on this board. I think Carl appears on that country album after, but they were basically back up singers right? Anyway, as awful as Still Cruisin' is, Carl does have some great moments on it. On SIP, he has very few belting moments. He does a lot more crooning, which is far less enjoyable for me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 9:01pm
You want to see the pit of despair? Join the Beach Boys Smiley Smile forum - truly awful. Vince White might hate us, but Clash fans are good people. Bless ya'!
Surely not as bad as morrissey-solo which has become the go-to site for people who hate Morrissey and think The Smiths started to go downhill the day in 1982 when Johnny Marr left Morrissey's house for the first time.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 2:44pm
WestwayKid wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 9:01pm
You want to see the pit of despair? Join the Beach Boys Smiley Smile forum - truly awful. Vince White might hate us, but Clash fans are good people. Bless ya'!
Surely not as bad as morrissey-solo which has become the go-to site for people who hate Morrissey and think The Smiths started to go downhill the day in 1982 when Johnny Marr left Morrissey's house for the first time.
I am familiar with that forum. I'm a big Moz/Smiths fan - but I stay away from that joint!?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 2:19pm
WestwayKid wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 2:05pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

So weird. Summer 2015, I developed a fascination with that album and Still Cruisin'. It's well documented on this board. I think Carl appears on that country album after, but they were basically back up singers right? Anyway, as awful as Still Cruisin' is, Carl does have some great moments on it. On SIP, he has very few belting moments. He does a lot more crooning, which is far less enjoyable for me.
Brian and Carl were both on the country album (sadly) and yes - they were essentially back up singers on their own songs. I'm glad they never got around to making a Vol 2. of that mess.

Carl did have a tendency to fall into that somewhat boring croon. I thought his vocals on BB85 were really strong. I actually kind of like that album - even with the cliched 80's sound. There is some great singing on it.

Still Cruisin' is another difficult one and really highlights the lack of direction they had. It was basically a Kokomo cash in LP - mixing old and new songs. Mike always has claimed that it was thematic - highlighting songs that had appeared in movies, but that Brian and Landy sabotaged it by insisting they include a new Brian track (which isn't very good).

It is still better than Summer in Paradise, however.

...and you are correct: Carl had some great moments on Still Cruisin'...but it was also an LP that featured Brian performing with The Fat Boys... :scared:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Nothing wrong with Willie performing The Warmth of the Sun imho
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 2:59pm
Nothing wrong with Willie performing The Warmth of the Sun imho
Very true. It had a couple of good moments - that being one of them.