I just want to say...

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

I just want to say...

Post by WestwayKid »

...I've been a member of other music forums. I love the Clash - but they are not the only band that has mattered in my life - but they have mattered a lot...but you lot of fans are a-okay. Very accepting and fun. Some forums are just awful. You want to see the pit of despair? Join the Beach Boys Smiley Smile forum - truly awful. Vince White might hate us, but Clash fans are good people. Bless ya'!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: I just want to say...

Post by Heston »

Ok boys, we reeled one in. Time to give him the "in-joke" treatment.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Deny that the bottom piece that Ratty and I did up wouldn't look great as a gatefold sleeve. I dares ya!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 9:01pm
Vince White might hate us, but Clash fans are good people. Bless ya'!
Then again …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

We are glad to have you, WWK.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:
...I've been a member of other music forums. I love the Clash - but they are not the only band that has mattered in my life - but they have mattered a lot...but you lot of fans are a-okay. Very accepting and fun. Some forums are just awful. You want to see the pit of despair? Join the Beach Boys Smiley Smile forum - truly awful. Vince White might hate us, but Clash fans are good people. Bless ya'!
Wolter wrote:
Fuck Mike Love
Welcome. I'm hardly ever here any more, but it's nice to see fresh meat. I mean, new fans. :shifty:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 7:50am
WestwayKid wrote:
Then again …
Wow. Glad I arrived after he departed!?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Then again …
He hates because he loves.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:25am
WestwayKid wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Fuck Mike Love
Welcome. I'm hardly ever here any more, but it's nice to see fresh meat. I mean, new fans. :shifty:
I'm serious. That Beach Boys forum is a depressing place - mean spirited, too. It takes obsession to a whole new level. I think they've run out of meaningful subjects to discuss so they obsess over the color of Al Jardine's shirt on the All Summer Long LP cover.

I guess they're not all bad - but there is a level of snobbery that you won't find in a lot of places.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Then again …
He hates because he loves.
And that is The Clash way. (not really)

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The Smiley Smile forum is brutal. There's a strong contingent of Beach Boys fans here, though, so ain't no problem. :cool:

Welcome aboard!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:32am
Mimi wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:25am
WestwayKid wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Fuck Mike Love
I'm serious. That Beach Boys forum is a depressing place - mean spirited, too. It takes obsession to a whole new level. I think they've run out of meaningful subjects to discuss so they obsess over the color of Al Jardine's shirt on the All Summer Long LP cover.

I guess they're not all bad - but there is a level of snobbery that you won't find in a lot of places.
Oh, I believe you. I've seen the ugly side of fandom in action. It made me want to abandon all creative endeavors.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:34am
I've seen the ugly side of fandom in action. It made me want to abandon all creative endeavors.
Rule of thumb: Fans are assholes and, left to their own devices, ruin everything good. The more ardent the fan, the worse the asshole. The sad paradox is that any form of art needs fans to survive. That people here are, for the most part, pretty level-headed about the Clash has kept it alive and lively all these years.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Historians can be even worse. I've always had a solid interest in auto racing - especially racing history - but I'm definitely a novice historian at best. Racing history forums are truly vicious. Those who consider themselves "true" historians will just attack people for making a simple mistake. Get a fact wrong and I've seen people hounded out of forums.

The same can happen for any subject. There will always be those who want to prove they know more than you and they truly enjoy pointing it out.

I've been a fan of the Clash since I was fairly young - but I admit I don't know as much about them as a lot of people. There have been other bands that have held by interest and my philosophy is that I'd rather know something about all the bands I've loved than to obsess over the details of one particular band or musician.

This is sad and the best way to deal with people like that is just to ignore them. Again - going back to the racing forums - they want to get you upset and when they can't they'll keep poking at you - trying to provoke you - but if you ignore them they move onto another target.

I think it is cool to be passionate about things and when you're passionate about things you naturally want to discuss them with those who share you passion. The internet has made that so easy - and that is great - we just need to keep the trolls out! :mrgreen:

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:41am
Mimi wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:34am
I've seen the ugly side of fandom in action. It made me want to abandon all creative endeavors.
Rule of thumb: Fans are assholes and, left to their own devices, ruin everything good. The more ardent the fan, the worse the asshole. The sad paradox is that any form of art needs fans to survive. That people here are, for the most part, pretty level-headed about the Clash has kept it alive and lively all these years.
The people here are great. With the exception of the stray troll, it's been one of my favorite places on the web.