Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Re: Currently watching.

Post by daredevil »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 8:37pm
Still watching Halt … and I'm officially annoying the missuz with my inability to separate Toby Huss' character from his cartoon characters Cotton Hill and General ("I gots the peepee cancer") Treister.

edit: We just watched the penultimate episode of the first season. The gang just successfully pitched their portable at some expo, and Joe goes to the Apple suite to see a demonstration of the first Macintosh. Me: "Neanderthal: 'Hey, what's up with all them homo sapiens?'"
The whole series is really good imo. The final episode was last night and was really satisfied/happy with how the writers ended it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

daredevil wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 12:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 8:37pm
Still watching Halt … and I'm officially annoying the missuz with my inability to separate Toby Huss' character from his cartoon characters Cotton Hill and General ("I gots the peepee cancer") Treister.

edit: We just watched the penultimate episode of the first season. The gang just successfully pitched their portable at some expo, and Joe goes to the Apple suite to see a demonstration of the first Macintosh. Me: "Neanderthal: 'Hey, what's up with all them homo sapiens?'"
The whole series is really good imo. The final episode was last night and was really satisfied/happy with how the writers ended it.
We finished the third season last week. Not sure when we'll be getting to the fourth (syncing our free time is tough these days). I thought it improved quite a bit in the second half of the third season, as often as not I'm not certain why characters act the way they do. They have ambitions to do … stuff. They trust and don't trust each other from week to week. And the computer aspect still doesn't feel necessary—it's something they do, but why is it important? And why is it set in the past? It's that lack of purpose that has held me back from embracing what's happening.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 4:48pm
Kory wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 9:54pm
I've been watching Venture Bros from the beginning, and it's the first time I've watched every episode in such close succession. I already loved it, but I'm getting so much more out of it this way, just from in-jokes alone. Those guys sure know how to write a tv show.
It's impressive how the show has evolved into something with quite a bit of depth and development. As much fun as the first couple seasons are, with all the music and comic book geek gags, the later emphasis on extended storytelling is more satisfying.

BTW, I finished up Rick & Morty a while back. Good, occasionally inspired stuff, tho I don't quite get the zealotry of the serious fans. Especially given that, I gather, they take Rick as an inspiration. Assholes, however smart and witty, may entertainment, but no goddamned role model, dorks.
There's a lot of talk online lately about how the people that identify with Rick think they are super-smart, but they prove the exact opposite with their idolization of the character. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 1:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I've been watching Venture Bros from the beginning, and it's the first time I've watched every episode in such close succession. I already loved it, but I'm getting so much more out of it this way, just from in-jokes alone. Those guys sure know how to write a tv show.
It's impressive how the show has evolved into something with quite a bit of depth and development. As much fun as the first couple seasons are, with all the music and comic book geek gags, the later emphasis on extended storytelling is more satisfying.

BTW, I finished up Rick & Morty a while back. Good, occasionally inspired stuff, tho I don't quite get the zealotry of the serious fans. Especially given that, I gather, they take Rick as an inspiration. Assholes, however smart and witty, may entertainment, but no goddamned role model, dorks.
There's a lot of talk online lately about how the people that identify with Rick think they are super-smart, but they prove the exact opposite with their idolization of the character. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
I'd love to see the Venn diagram that compares fans of the show who idolize Rick with those fans who idolize Ayn Rand.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 2:12pm
Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 1:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'd love to see the Venn diagram that compares fans of the show who idolize Rick with those fans who idolize Ayn Rand.
It's just a single brown oval.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I just binged Mindhunter on Netflix. If you are into serial killers (and really, who isn't? :shifty: ), then you might enjoy this show. It's based on the books by John Douglas, who was one of the pioneers of the FBI profiling program. Scott Glenn's character in Silence of the Lambs was based on him. Anyway, it was well acted and creepy.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Interview with the creators on the upcoming season of Black Mirror: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-makers-of-b ... 1819630457

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 10:03am
I just binged Mindhunter on Netflix. If you are into serial killers (and really, who isn't? :shifty: ), then you might enjoy this show. It's based on the books by John Douglas, who was one of the pioneers of the FBI profiling program. Scott Glenn's character in Silence of the Lambs was based on him. Anyway, it was well acted and creepy.
I'm half way through and although it's a little hamfisted in places I am really enjoying it. The music is a tad obvious "Psycho Killer" ...really.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 7:27am
JennyB wrote:
I'm half way through and although it's a little hamfisted in places I am really enjoying it. The music is a tad obvious "Psycho Killer" ...really.
That was a bit much.

The guy playing Ed Kemper though, holy crap.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 9:05am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 7:27am
JennyB wrote:
That was a bit much.

The guy playing Ed Kemper though, holy crap.
He has been fantastic. Seriously creepy performance.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We finished up Halt and Catch Fire this morning. I still hesitate to recommend it because the computer angle and historical context is more gimmick than anything meaningful (at best, being kind, it's a McGuffin). It's there and it seems like it should be significant, but honestly nothing anyone does is all that important to the larger narrative other than it's used as a reason to keep these people in each other's orbit. And I don't really know what drives these characters. I can understand why they hate each other given what they've done to each other, but why they come back and want to reconnect and bind themselves to each other emotionally and in business really doesn't make much sense to me.

That said, the final season was pretty damned affecting. I'm not sure why they needed the big development (no spoilers) in the last few episodes, but it really was handled wonderfully. Fantastic performances from all the cast. And I'm a sucker for a redemption story, and allowing Joe to find some kind of connection to people as people after his various ruthless schemes was heartening, even if I still don't know what really drove him all along. He's a wounded soul, but what he's actually looking for is unclear. And Toby Huss' Bos is just charming as fuck every second he's on the screen.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 8:44am
We finished up Halt and Catch Fire this morning. I still hesitate to recommend it because the computer angle and historical context is more gimmick than anything meaningful (at best, being kind, it's a McGuffin). It's there and it seems like it should be significant, but honestly nothing anyone does is all that important to the larger narrative other than it's used as a reason to keep these people in each other's orbit. And I don't really know what drives these characters. I can understand why they hate each other given what they've done to each other, but why they come back and want to reconnect and bind themselves to each other emotionally and in business really doesn't make much sense to me.

That said, the final season was pretty damned affecting. I'm not sure why they needed the big development (no spoilers) in the last few episodes, but it really was handled wonderfully. Fantastic performances from all the cast. And I'm a sucker for a redemption story, and allowing Joe to find some kind of connection to people as people after his various ruthless schemes was heartening, even if I still don't know what really drove him all along. He's a wounded soul, but what he's actually looking for is unclear. And Toby Huss' Bos is just charming as fuck every second he's on the screen.
I thought the writers did a great job on that big development. It was confusing at first, and then it hits you when you figure out what's going on.
The final season was one of my favorites, second only to the first.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

daredevil wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 10:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 8:44am

I thought the writers did a great job on that big development. It was confusing at first, and then it hits you when you figure out what's going on.
The final season was one of my favorites, second only to the first.
The only reason I'd want another season, I think, assuming the Big Development was reversed, is that Haley emerged as a character who was really easy to connect with, the only one that didn't have this mixed record of being a total shitheel. Her sexual identity was also a means of humanizing Joe. But the series did go out on a high, so they should be pretty happy, I would think.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Doctor Foster series 2.
It is like watching a car crash in slow motion. Not sure if I love it or hate it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 2:32pm
Doctor Foster series 2.
It is like watching a car crash in slow motion. Not sure if I love it or hate it.
I tried it but it didn't work for me. I also just watched Rellik which litterally was told in reverse.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia