Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 5:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 5:37pm
I like the fact that Macca swears after hitting the wrong key at the end of the song and Lennon insisted it stayed on the track just buried in the mix.
Similarly, when Paul said that the "movement on your shoulder" was a bit of a placeholder line, that it was weak (something about sounding like there was a parrot) and he'd fix it later, John said it was perfect. John had a better ear for imperfections that nevertheless worked.
Yeah that line works to brilliant effect, Lennon was bang on.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 6:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I like the fact that Macca swears after hitting the wrong key at the end of the song and Lennon insisted it stayed on the track just buried in the mix.
Similarly, when Paul said that the "movement on your shoulder" was a bit of a placeholder line, that it was weak (something about sounding like there was a parrot) and he'd fix it later, John said it was perfect. John had a better ear for imperfections that nevertheless worked.
Didn't he tell Paul it was the best line in the song or something to that effect?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 10:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 6:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Didn't he tell Paul it was the best line in the song or something to that effect?
Yes, I remember reading that..
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A student yesterday told me all Beatles songs sound the same. I was flabbergasted.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Started watching this on Netflix this morning. I lasted a half hour. No actual Beatles music and interviews were all with people at best tangentially involved with the band (have you ever wondered what the elderly members of the Merseybeats think of Pepper? You're in luck!). Total garbage.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

"Ah, George. He was all about the guitar." - the man who shone Brian Epstein's shoes, 2014, in a documentary with a lot of the same still pictures used again and again.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

After exchanging a few emails with a Beatles author, I was pointed to this clip.

All kinds of kids who don't like the new sound, the new hair, except for the one kid at the end who just grins because he gets it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 8:04am
After exchanging a few emails with a Beatles author, I was pointed to this clip.

All kinds of kids who don't like the new sound, the new hair, except for the one kid at the end who just grins because he gets it.
People want everything to stay the same.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I love the one kid who is totally turned on, everybody else is a square but he totally gets it. It's like the whole 60's thing, all these baby boomers like to think that they were all cool and hippy but in reality it was a small amount of people who really got it. It's like millions and millions of people claim they went Woodstock, yeah right

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 8:18am
I love the one kid who is totally turned on, everybody else is a square but he totally gets it. It's like the whole 60's thing, all these baby boomers like to think that they were all cool and hippy but in reality it was a small amount of people who really got it. It's like millions and millions of people claim they went Woodstock, yeah right
That's one part of the argument of the book, Magic Circles, that by '66 or so, what the Beatles wanted and what the fans wanted went increasingly in different directions. The Beatles encouraged more experimentation, love, peace, and liberty, while some fans wanted Beatlemania to stay and others wanted confrontation and violent revolution. So, other than that honeymoon period, the story of the Beatles is four young men increasingly at odds with, alienated from the youth culture they helped create. The Beatles as being the spirit of the 60s is a retroactive myth to make the Boomers feel nobler.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 9:00am
coffeepotman wrote:
That's one part of the argument of the book, Magic Circles, that by '66 or so, what the Beatles wanted and what the fans wanted went increasingly in different directions. The Beatles encouraged more experimentation, love, peace, and liberty, while some fans wanted Beatlemania to stay and others wanted confrontation and violent revolution. So, other than that honeymoon period, the story of the Beatles is four young men increasingly at odds with, alienated from the youth culture they helped create. The Beatles as being the spirit of the 60s is a retroactive myth to make the Boomers feel nobler.
They weren't even really the biggest band in the world anymore by the mid-60s right? Who was it by then?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 1:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
They weren't even really the biggest band in the world anymore by the mid-60s right? Who was it by then?
I think they were still the biggest band in as much as they were still regarded as setting standards (tho the Beatles saw the Beach Boys and Dylan as inspiration/competitors). If the rock scene was diversifying, no one was yet big enough to be bigger than the Beatles.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 2:03pm
Kory wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 1:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
I think they were still the biggest band in as much as they were still regarded as setting standards (tho the Beatles saw the Beach Boys and Dylan as inspiration/competitors). If the rock scene was diversifying, no one was yet big enough to be bigger than the Beatles.
I guess I was thinking about how people really seemed to not like them much anymore by that time. but history would have you believe that Beatlemania lasted forever. People think the Beatles were huge in America right off too, but they had the Dave Clark Five to compete with and that gets glossed over as well.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

So with the satellite channel, this has totally been the Summer of the Beatles for me. I must have heard "You Know My Name" and "Only a Northern Song" and "All Together Now" like 20 times each, and fucking rad songs like "I Call Your Name" and "She's a Woman" like twice each.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak