XTC doc details

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: XTC doc details

Post by Heston »

SandraM wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 2:15pm
Thoroughly enjoyed this doc. Hearing Easter Theatre again made my spine tingle.

The 'ernying' and the Dylan impression really made me chuckle.

I wonder if Barry Andrews was asked to take part?
Easter Theatre is amazing.

Barry was asked but declined.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just finished watching. As a casual fan (i.e., singles), I found it quite enjoyable. I've always wondered how, given that they stopped touring due to AP's stage anxiety, they made any money. Record deals are almost always to the label's benefit, where touring is where bands make their money (unless they sell a gorillion copies of their records), so the group was cut off from a reliable source of cash.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Ack. I apparently missed it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Since watching, I've been playing "Life Begins at the Hop" a whole lot. I've always liked it, but this is more in my semi-frequent spasms of "this is the greatest song ever" of this song or that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 8:40pm
Since watching, I've been playing "Life Begins at the Hop" a whole lot. I've always liked it, but this is more in my semi-frequent spasms of "this is the greatest song ever" of this song or that.
Cracking song.

As to your question re: touring. Yes they would've lost a lot of money however they are not exactly your "castles in Spain" type of rock stars just very everyday people and obviously Andy still lives in Swindon. This is what always made them so endearing to me that they never cared for any celebrity life style. The were my generations version of The Beatles (any argument here will fall on deaf ears so don't bother) and yet just down to earth humble chaps.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 8:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Cracking song.

As to your question re: touring. Yes they would've lost a lot of money however they are not exactly your "castles in Spain" type of rock stars just very everyday people and obviously Andy still lives in Swindon. This is what always made them so endearing to me that they never cared for any celebrity life style. The were my generations version of The Beatles (any argument here will fall on deaf ears so don't bother) and yet just down to earth humble chaps.
Very much an under the radar band and not just because of the non touring. Everyone loves one (commercial) XTC song but most* couldn’t tell you the name of the band that sang it.
Their most commercially successful period was 79-82 and those are the songs people* remember yet they only had 3 top 30 singles and no top 10. I was surprised Senses had a higher chart placing than Nigel.

*I’m referring to general public who listen to chart music not XTC fans.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 3:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Cracking song.

Very much an under the radar band and not just because of the non touring. Everyone loves one (commercial) XTC song but most* couldn’t tell you the name of the band that sang it.
Their most commercially successful period was 79-82 and those are the songs people* remember yet they only had 3 top 30 singles and no top 10. I was surprised Senses had a higher chart placing than Nigel.

Senses Working Overtime - 10
Sgt. Rock (Is Going to Help Me) - 16
Making Plans for Nigel - 17

So one top 10. They had later hits in the U.S. with Dear God/Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead/King for a Day/Mayor of Simpleton (No.1) on the alternative / modern rock charts. They were more of an albums band with the majority going top 20 and English Settlement reaching No. 5.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 5:01pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Cracking song.

So one top 10. They had later hits in the U.S. with Dear God/Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead/King for a Day/Mayor of Simpleton (No.1) on the alternative / modern rock charts. They were more of an albums band with the majority going top 20 and English Settlement reaching No. 5.
Yep they are the only 3 in UK top 30 singles chart. I was surprised Towers Of London and Generals and Majors didn’t chart much higher and that Senses was commercially most successful. I would have thought Nigel.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 5:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 5:01pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Cracking song.

Yep they are the only 3 in UK top 30 singles chart. I was surprised Towers Of London and Generals and Majors didn’t chart much higher and that Senses was commercially most successful. I would have thought Nigel.
Towers of London is my fave XTC song and deserved a much higher placing. But they made great pop records like "Love On A farmboys Wages" which didn't even make rhe top 40. Like I said they were really an albums band. Still those in the know with good taste like yourself knew where it was at.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ya bastards have got me listening to XTC again. I've always adored both Apple Venus discs, but "Easter Theatre" has been calling me incessantly this weekend. How many bands are fortunate enough to quit on a peak like that?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 6:49pm
Ya bastards have got me listening to XTC again. I've always adored both Apple Venus discs, but "Easter Theatre" has been calling me incessantly this weekend. How many bands are fortunate enough to quit on a peak like that?
Brilliant song and in answer to your question, very few I think. Proof they could've easily have carried on making quality music.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 6:49pm
Amazing song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

That was a fun doc. Would love something that actually delved into that weird dark time between Nonsuch and Apple Venus where they were trying to escape VIrgin.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

XTC is a band who I really enjoy every time I put them on, but I've never gotten the bug enough to buy an album. I know enough about myself to say with confidence that it will definitely happen eventually, but for now my appetite for quirky, intelligently effervescent pop music is often sated by early Oingo Boingo.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc