Clash Songs Ranked

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Clash Songs Ranked

Post by Heston »

Spiff kindly shared this on Facebook. Some idiotic comments and placing but an interesting read...

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/all-139- ... rebutton-t
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Re: Clash Songs Ranked

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Well the #4 ranked song is unexpected. Good to subvert the party line, but that's extreme.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 3:21pm
Well the #4 ranked song is unexpected. Good to subvert the party line, but that's extreme.
I don't mind differing opinions but to have stuff like Mustapha Dance and Silicone On Sapphire above Something About England, Corner Soul and Tommy Gun is malicious insanity.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
I could have exhausted 25 guesses minimum and not come up with that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 3:24pm
Toppers Boppers wrote:
I don't mind differing opinions but to have stuff like Mustapha Dance and Silicone On Sapphire above Something About England, Corner Soul and Tommy Gun is malicious insanity.
Yeah - to claim that Tommy Gun is a second-tier song, that Koka Kola is the worst song on LC, that I'm Not Down is terrible, and that SHITSVILLE IS NUMBER 4 is a bit, well, much. An interesting read though.

ETA - I like Hitsville. But it ain't their 4th best song.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Also, when talking about TIE: "This can’t have been a good time for Strummer, and you can hear it in his voice, as he sings the fuck out of this, which — with the possible exception of “Love Kills,” the concussive solo track he had on the Sid and Nancy soundtrack — was Strummer’s last great song." Say what now?
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

SEAN FLYNN AT 126???!!! Fuck this list.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

“Let’s Go Crazy,” Sandinista! (1980): Lots of Jamaican drums.
Uh.

edit: they keep talking about "Jamaican drums." I don't think they know what that means.

edit again: they write of Version City's "almost Caribbean beat." Yeah, this person doesn't understand music and shouldn't be writing about it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Also, did he not know that Joe was in the Meskies and released some very fine work with them? He seems to think that his career ended with Trash City.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Heston

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 3:38pm
Also, when talking about TIE: "This can’t have been a good time for Strummer, and you can hear it in his voice, as he sings the fuck out of this, which — with the possible exception of “Love Kills,” the concussive solo track he had on the Sid and Nancy soundtrack — was Strummer’s last great song." Say what now?
I was shouting at him through my computer when I read that.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 3:45pm
Uh.

edit: they keep talking about "Jamaican drums." I don't think they know what that means.

edit again: they write of Version City's "almost Caribbean beat." Yeah, this person doesn't understand music and shouldn't be writing about it.
Yes, he has no real clue about music, constantly misnaming styles and genres. Saying that, he seems to have a genuine fan's knowledge of the Clash's songs,

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 3:45pm
Uh.

Does he mean steel drums? I think LGC has those right?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 3:24pm
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Hoyston no doubt.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That anything from Side 6 places in the top 80% is daffy. They're there because they needed material for a sixth side, not because they're compelling in any way.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

It is a shame we lost the big pole I did years ago. We had 100 different posters with their top 3 in order. The results were pretty spot on what you would expect.