The Sacking of Mick Jones

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Sacking of Mick Jones

Post by white man »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

From an outsider's very distant position, along with the benefit of time, it's amazing how many bands boot someone out or quit altogether when the more sensible solution is to take a break, let people pursue other ventures for a bit, then come back because they want to. The Beatles would have benefited from letting everyone do a couple solo albums, let tensions cool, and then see if there was still a desire to record together. Johnny Marr was exhausted and needed time off, but instead he was forced to quit the Smiths. And if Mick was becoming too much of a pain in the ass, maybe everyone just needed to spend some time apart. You would think that this is a perspective more conducive with being artists, but the mentality that you're in or out because the band's operations can't pause is more businesslike.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 9:06am
From an outsider's very distant position, along with the benefit of time, it's amazing how many bands boot someone out or quit altogether when the more sensible solution is to take a break, let people pursue other ventures for a bit, then come back because they want to. The Beatles would have benefited from letting everyone do a couple solo albums, let tensions cool, and then see if there was still a desire to record together. Johnny Marr was exhausted and needed time off, but instead he was forced to quit the Smiths. And if Mick was becoming too much of a pain in the ass, maybe everyone just needed to spend some time apart. You would think that this is a perspective more conducive with being artists, but the mentality that you're in or out because the band's operations can't pause is more businesslike.
Could be true. Were there external influences pushing Joe and Paul in this direction? Sony? Bernie?. Joe's admission years later that a break should have been the answer only adds fuel to the fire. Did he think this at the time. Were he and Paul coerced.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 8:42am
One more time,just for the record
http://www.sputnikworld.com/The_Sputnik_Story_4_5.html
I loved SSS.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Still if The Beatles had sacked McCartney and released Cut the Crap we would have something more to talk about. :mrgreen:

As for The Smiths I always felf Morrissey would go solo. You can be the greatest most inventive guitar player in the world but if your not the frontman then it's a hard act to follow. Has Johnny Marr done anything remotely as good good as The Smiths? Not for me he hasn't and yet I adore his playing and he's played with bands I admire like The The and The Pretenders. His solo stuff is okay but doesn't grab me like The Smiths. Say what you like about Moz being a dickwad these days but he is /was a good frontman with charisma. It always comes back to the chemistry between two great writers performers even if like in XTC's case they don't write together. I wonder how Viva Hate! would've sounded with Johnny on guitar?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 10:22am
As for The Smiths I always felf Morrissey would go solo. You can be the greatest most inventive guitar player in the world but if your not the frontman then it's a hard act to follow. Has Johnny Marr done anything remotely as good good as The Smiths? Not for me he hasn't and yet I adore his playing and he's played with bands I admire like The The and The Pretenders. His solo stuff is okay but doesn't grab me like The Smiths. Say what you like about Moz being a dickwad these days but he is /was a good frontman with charisma. It always comes back to the chemistry between two great writers performers even if like in XTC's case they don't write together. I wonder how Viva Hate! would've sounded with Johnny on guitar?
Morrissey's ego would have led him to eventually leave. Definitely. He loves the spotlight on him and him alone. I'm just talking about how the band pretty much bullied Marr into leaving. Write the songs, play on them, be the business and tour manager because Morrissey keeps firing the others. And he's still, like, 23 years old. When he proposed a break, the other three said no, so he left. Just dumb.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Don't forget, the Clash had been in limbo for nearly a year before Mick's dismissal. Aside from a few dates around the US Festival and that pointless home movie, they had been inactive.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think MJ made a similar argument in Westway -- that they should have all taken some time apart and gone on holiday.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

You can argue about the vitality of the original burst of a band like the Strokes, but for me, they were dead on their feet after a hiatus similar to what would have unquestionably done the Clash good.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 10:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Don't forget, the Clash had been in limbo for nearly a year before Mick's dismissal. Aside from a few dates around the US Festival and that pointless home movie, they had been inactive.
But hadn't there been pressure from Bernie to get things going again? (Maybe I'm wrong on this point.)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 10:28am
Marky Dread wrote:
Morrissey's ego would have led him to eventually leave. Definitely. He loves the spotlight on him and him alone. I'm just talking about how the band pretty much bullied Marr into leaving. Write the songs, play on them, be the business and tour manager because Morrissey keeps firing the others. And he's still, like, 23 years old. When he proposed a break, the other three said no, so he left. Just dumb.
Oh yeah it's beyond stupid. But you know with ego it's like "hey we don't need him let's just get another guitar player". I remember when Craig Gannon joined briefly to play bass after Andy Rourke's misdemeanours. Then moving over to rhythm guitar when Andy re-joined. I was stunned when Marr left. Then Craig played on the Moz debut single, that just showed me that Moz wanted to be a solo artist. Craig Gannon has/had played with some great bands/artists.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 12:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Oh yeah it's beyond stupid. But you know with ego it's like "hey we don't need him let's just get another guitar player". I remember when Craig Gannon joined briefly to play bass after Andy Rourke's misdemeanours. Then moving over to rhythm guitar when Andy re-joined. I was stunned when Marr left. Then Craig played on the Moz debut single, that just showed me that Moz wanted to be a solo artist. Craig Gannon has/had played with some great bands/artists.
He started out with ambitions of being a Lieber/Stoller-esque writing duo with Marr, but I suppose once the spotlight was on he forgot all about that. Their writing relationship was eventually quite separate, often with Moz unveiling his vocal part in studio, rather than in the rehearsal room. The court case also demonstrates his regarding of Rourke and Joyce as merely sidemen, which is one of the craziest notions in the history of pop music, contract or no.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 12:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
He started out with ambitions of being a Lieber/Stoller-esque writing duo with Marr, but I suppose once the spotlight was on he forgot all about that. Their writing relationship was eventually quite separate, often with Moz unveiling his vocal part in studio, rather than in the rehearsal room. The court case also demonstrates his regarding of Rourke and Joyce as merely sidemen, which is one of the craziest notions in the history of pop music, contract or no.
They were every bit integral to the "Smiths" sound for me. What set The Smiths aside from a lot of other dreck in the 80's was the notion they were a complete package typography/imagery/music aversion to plastic moulded injection labels ....

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 1:11pm
Kory wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 12:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
They were every bit integral to the "Smiths" sound for me. What set The Smiths aside from a lot of other dreck in the 80's was the notion they were a complete package typography/imagery/music aversion to plastic moulded injection labels ....
Rourke, especially. Marr had some cool guitar parts, but the bass counterpoint on many of them pushed the songs to stellar levels.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Marky Dread wrote:
I don't think Craig Gannon was on the debut Moz single - it was all Vini Reilly wasn't it? He did play Morrissey's first solo show though.

They tried to keep The Smiths going with Ivor Perry on guitar but abandoned it very quickly so I'm not sure Morrissey was anxious to go solo at that point (but it would probably have happened at some point)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps