The Sacking of Mick Jones

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Sacking of Mick Jones

Post by dave202 »

What about when one by one, three members of Killing Joke left, leaving Youth as the only one still in the band, then they reformed the following week without him?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Interesting that many of the bands mentioned managed to keep going and even thrive. Sabbath only called it quits this year. Echo came back - with Ian. Even Glen made it back with the Pistols, ha!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

dave202 wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 10:56am
What about when one by one, three members of Killing Joke left, leaving Youth as the only one still in the band, then they reformed the following week without him?
Classic story! Youth eventually made it back into KJ. I wonder if Mick would have eventually rejoined the Clash if they had managed to stick around long enough?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 11:11am
dave202 wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 10:56am
Classic story! Youth eventually made it back into KJ. I wonder if Mick would have eventually rejoined the Clash if they had managed to stick around long enough?
When Mick and Joe had made up didn't BAD being on the go stop that thought? I've always believed that ending The Clash II allowed both to work together again, free of any pressure, hence No.10 Uping Street.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

daredevil wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 10:37am
I can't remember Did the Pogues sack Shane Macgowan or did he leave on his own? if he did get sacked that would be one.
Edit: Just remembered the band had a good reason for sacking him.
Look. We've all fallen drunkenly off bullet trains in Tokyo. That's hardly a good reason.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 11:08am
Interesting that many of the bands mentioned managed to keep going and even thrive. Sabbath only called it quits this year. Echo came back - with Ian. Even Glen made it back with the Pistols, ha!
Hugh Cornwell left The Stranglers in 1990 and the band have survived extremely well. Now with their third vocalist and just announced their 2018 tour. They are still worthy of going to see.

The Undertones without Feargal.

I think in the case of Mick Jones his being the true tunesmith of the band killed The Clash. Joe wasn't half the musician Mick was and Mick was really inventive and always more appreciative of new sounds.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 3:17pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Hugh Cornwell left The Stranglers in 1990 and the band have survived extremely well. Now with their third vocalist and just announced their 2018 tour. They are still worthy of going to see.

I think in the case of Mick Jones his being the true tunesmith of the band killed The Clash. Joe wasn't half the musician Mick was and Mick was really inventive and always more appreciative of new sounds.
I'm honestly surprised CtC was as tuneful as it was. But they certainly missed Mick's ear for what was hip. He nailed it with TIBAD and left the Clash looking even worse. It was a strange coincidence that those LP's got released the same week, is it worthy of a conspiracy theory?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Heston wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 6:34pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I'm honestly surprised CtC was as tuneful as it was. But they certainly missed Mick's ear for what was hip. He nailed it with TIBAD and left the Clash looking even worse. It was a strange coincidence that those LP's got released the same week, is it worthy of a conspiracy theory?
I would blame Bernie for that, if a choice was made.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 6:42pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

How much influence do bands have on release schedules? I suppose managers would be involved and, yeah, Bernie's deluded enough that he'd think that his album would definitely be better than Mick's. The Clash had a name recognition advantage but what else?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 6:47pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

How much influence do bands have on release schedules? I suppose managers would be involved and, yeah, Bernie's deluded enough that he'd think that his album would definitely be better than Mick's. The Clash had a name recognition advantage but what else?
Yeah, I think CTC was sat on for a good stretch after having been recorded too.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 7:31pm

CTC was sat on
Not hard enough.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Inder wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 7:32pm
Silent Majority wrote:

CTC was sat on
Not hard enough.
Or too hard?

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 7:33pm
Inder wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 7:32pm
Silent Majority wrote:

CTC was sat on
Not hard enough.
Or too hard?
… ladies.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I think the labels are pretty much the final word on that stuff, as I imagine it's all based on fiscal quarters, marketing campaigns, and all that crap.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 7:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I think the labels are pretty much the final word on that stuff, as I imagine it's all based on fiscal quarters, marketing campaigns, and all that crap.
That's like a quarter of a CD.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia