2018 Rock and Roll HOF Nominations

General music discussion.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

2018 Rock and Roll HOF Nominations

Post by JennyB »

Well, my favorite band second only to the Clash was nominated again this year. Though hugely influential and (outside of the UK, at least) critically acclaimed, they are likely to be snubbed because synths aren't "real instruments" - even though they have been incorporating guitars and drums since the MFTM days. Please make me a happy girl and vote for Depeche Mode in the fan vote. Or at least vote for Kate Bush, the Cars or MC5. I won't be able to take it if Bon Jovi and the Moody Blues get in and DM doesn't. I know, I know, I am taking this far too seriously and ultimately who cares, but whaddya gonna do?

https://www.rockhall.com/fan-vote/2018-fan-vote
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: 2018 Rock and Roll HOF Nominations

Post by Flex »

Actually a pretty good crop this year. I've never really gotten much of an understanding of what the threshhold should be for honoring a musician/band in terms of their stature or influence, so I just sort of default to whether I like the band or not.

Allow me to go through my own sorting:

Like/love:
Kate Bush
The Cars
Eurythmics
J. Geils Band
Judas Priest
LL Cool J
The MC5
The Meters
Rage Against the Machine
Nina Simone
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Link Wray
The Zombies

Sorta like/No strong feelings, would not be offended by their induction:
Depeche Mode
Moody Blues
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan

Ugh:
Bon Jovi
Dire Straits
Radiohead

I suspect all three of the "ugh" category will make it in at some point.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I agree with you except I would exchange DM for RATM and send the Moody Blues down to Ugh. But overall, a good assessment. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Radiohead is Gen X’s Pink Floyd.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 11:59am
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Radiohead is Gen X’s Pink Floyd.
Right - and they are both terrible!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Bah. OK Computer is a stone-cold classic. I'm far from a huge Radiohead fan—OKC was the last album I really dig, tho parts of the next were interesting—but the "Radiohead sucks" side come off as mirror-image hipsters.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 12:42pm
Bah. OK Computer is a stone-cold classic. I'm far from a huge Radiohead fan—OKC was the last album I really dig, tho parts of the next were interesting—but the "Radiohead sucks" side come off as mirror-image hipsters.
Eh. I made a sustained, active effort to try to enjoy them (I still think In Rainbows is interesting) delving into their entire discography and even working through b-sides and rarities and the like, but they're mostly pretty bad.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Eh. I made a sustained, active effort to try to enjoy them (I still think In Rainbows is interesting) delving into their entire discography and even working through b-sides and rarities and the like, but they're mostly pretty bad.
I was speaking gernerally about the "Radiohead sucks" side. I'm not saying everyone has to love Radiohead, only that most of the time the negative comes off as dogma and mantra. If you made an honest effort and it didn't work for you, fair enough, you're not obliged. It,s more that I normally get the impression that the rejection of Radiohead is more a dislike of their fans and the critical fawning (i.e., socio-cultural rather aesthetic).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 1:15pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was speaking gernerally about the "Radiohead sucks" side. I'm not saying everyone has to love Radiohead, only that most of the time the negative comes off as dogma and mantra. If you made an honest effort and it didn't work for you, fair enough, you're not obliged. It,s more that I normally get the impression that the rejection of Radiohead is more a dislike of their fans and the critical fawning (i.e., socio-cultural rather aesthetic).
I just dislike the whining hobbit who does the singing.

Depeche Mode us a strange one for me. I like their early stuff (saw them live in 84), but the moment they got "serious" was when I lost interest.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 1:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 1:15pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Depeche Mode us a strange one for me. I like their early stuff (saw them live in 84), but the moment they got "serious" was when I lost interest.
That's OK. Like most of your fellow countrymen, you are obliged to dislike DM.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
:lol: It's a gimpy eye, you bigot! You are, I must say, someone who has never deviated from basing likes and dislikes solely on aesthetic appeal. I don't recall you ever discussing music in any other way (that's neither compliment nor criticism, just observation).

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 1:43pm
Heston wrote:
:lol: It's a gimpy eye, you bigot! You are, I must say, someone who has never deviated from basing likes and dislikes solely on aesthetic appeal. I don't recall you ever discussing music in any other way (that's neither compliment nor criticism, just observation).
Imagine how fun a 15 hour train ride with Thom Yorke and the Gallagher brothers would be.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Surprised that Nina Simone is not already an HOF inductee. Not that I'm a huge fan or anything, but she's the only one from that list I'd describe as near legendary or enormously influential or whatever vague criteria they use to decide these things.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Imagine how fun a 15 hour train ride with Thom Yorke and the Gallagher brothers would be.
Oh god, Morrissey just walked in, too!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 1:58pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Oh god, Morrissey just walked in, too!
:lol:
Got a Rake? Sure!