101Walterton wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 2:23pm
matedog wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 10:35am
revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 9:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts
Reading some other forums, people are saying it was likely "bump firing" (ie not an automatic rifle) due to inconsistent rate of fire:
Why?
'Murica.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 4:08pm
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts
Reading some other forums, people are saying it was likely "bump firing" (ie not an automatic rifle) due to inconsistent rate of fire:
Why?
'Murica.
Crying eagles, fears of non-whites, and lust for profits.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 4:35pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:

Why?
'Murica.
Correct me if I am wrong however is there any functional reason at all to fire a gun like that other than because you are a complete wanker and it makes your twat mate wet his pants?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:

Why?
'Murica.
Correct me if I am wrong however is there any functional reason at all to fire a gun like that other than because you are a complete wanker and it makes your twat mate wet his pants?
Freedom and fear of non-whites/women/homosexuals/non-Christians. But mostly freedom.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 8:03pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Why?
'Murica.
Freedom and fear of non-whites/women/homosexuals/non-Christians. But mostly freedom.
Yeah I get that but, if you lined up the non whites, women, homosexuals, non Christians and model train enthusiasts the chances of you hitting any of them with a bullet firing like that are minimal.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 8:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 8:03pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:

'Murica.
Yeah I get that but, if you lined up the non whites, women, homosexuals, non Christians and model train enthusiasts the chances of you hitting any of them with a bullet firing like that are minimal.
I’ve gone target shooting and have to admit that it’s damn fun. I’m not for a total ban but there’s no reason a private citizen needs anything more than a bolt action hunting rifle.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So i know this is sort of a generalization but has anyone else been struck by the irony that the demographic of the crowd at this show were probably more likely to be conservative, nra supporters etc.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 10:05pm
So i know this is sort of a generalization but has anyone else been struck by the irony that the demographic of the crowd at this show were probably more likely to be conservative, nra supporters etc.
I did think that (not NRA but a bunch of people like him) does the guy have a motive?

BostonBeaneater

101Walterton wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 10:55pm
revbob wrote:
I did think that (not NRA but a bunch of people like him) does the guy have a motive?
Maybe he was just disgusted with humanity. Can you blame him?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Some CBS executive got axed for voicing that, in a "fuck them, they were country fan gun nuts" way. I'm always taken aback by people who respond to a tragedy like this with some rationale as to why we shouldn't see the victims deserving sympathy. Whenever a cyclist is killed here in town, for example, there'll always be people who'll argue that the person "deserved it" for, say, not wearing bright clothing or biking on a particular road. Really? Deserved it? It was just that their mistake meant that they lost their life? And, as often as not, these are the same people who go on about the evils of sharia law, when they'd be pretty cool with that quick and harsh punishment.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 6:31am
revbob wrote:
Some CBS executive got axed for voicing that, in a "fuck them, they were country fan gun nuts" way. I'm always taken aback by people who respond to a tragedy like this with some rationale as to why we shouldn't see the victims deserving sympathy. Whenever a cyclist is killed here in town, for example, there'll always be people who'll argue that the person "deserved it" for, say, not wearing bright clothing or biking on a particular road. Really? Deserved it? It was just that their mistake meant that they lost their life? And, as often as not, these are the same people who go on about the evils of sharia law, when they'd be pretty cool with that quick and harsh punishment.
One of the singers on stage got tons of headlines yesterday for switching his opinion on the 2nd Amendment. Which, you know, ok—but it's fucking lame that it took seeing tons of people get killed in front of him and for his own life to be threatened for him to understand anything.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

30,000 Americans die every year from gunshot wound.
More than all coalition forces in last 16 years of wars including Afghanistan and Iraq.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 1:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
One of the singers on stage got tons of headlines yesterday for switching his opinion on the 2nd Amendment. Which, you know, ok—but it's fucking lame that it took seeing tons of people get killed in front of him and for his own life to be threatened for him to understand anything.
Violence is especially one of those things that is understood differently in the abstract vs. in reality. There's also the desensitizing effect of movies and tv that both normalize and soften the trauma of guns and death. It's a shame that so many are seduced by abstraction, to deny a basic shared humanity, but that's where we're at.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 2:47pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Violence is especially one of those things that is understood differently in the abstract vs. in reality. There's also the desensitizing effect of movies and tv that both normalize and soften the trauma of guns and death. It's a shame that so many are seduced by abstraction, to deny a basic shared humanity, but that's where we're at.
This is the exact reason why White Supremist and Nazi must be met with clubs and bats.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 3:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 2:47pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
This is the exact reason why White Supremist and Nazi must be met with clubs and bats.
I won't go back into the pacifist argument, but I think an assertion that aggression will be met with defensive violence is legitimate.