The Gun Politics Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6855
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by BostonBeaneater » 22 Aug 2016, 5:20pm

Image

Image

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6855
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by BostonBeaneater » 01 Dec 2016, 3:13pm

Top of the fridge! Great idea.
Police said Jacob Remaley attacked his mom and little brother after his dad left for work Wednesday morning. The teen grabbed his dad's gun from on top of the kitchen fridge and went to his parents' bedroom, where he shot his sleeping mother once in the forehead around 7 a.m.
Image

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14581
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Rat Patrol » 01 Dec 2016, 3:24pm

BostonBeaneater wrote:Top of the fridge! Great idea.
Police said Jacob Remaley attacked his mom and little brother after his dad left for work Wednesday morning. The teen grabbed his dad's gun from on top of the kitchen fridge and went to his parents' bedroom, where he shot his sleeping mother once in the forehead around 7 a.m.
Why not affixed to a refrigerator magnet? Jeez...I'd never keep track of my bottle openers if they were lost in the pile of shit on top of the fridge.

Image
Image

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49247
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Wolter » 01 Dec 2016, 9:21pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:Top of the fridge! Great idea.
Police said Jacob Remaley attacked his mom and little brother after his dad left for work Wednesday morning. The teen grabbed his dad's gun from on top of the kitchen fridge and went to his parents' bedroom, where he shot his sleeping mother once in the forehead around 7 a.m.
Why not affixed to a refrigerator magnet? Jeez...I'd never keep track of my bottle openers if they were lost in the pile of shit on top of the fridge.

Image
My girlfriend when I was 19 was from upstate SC. Her father kept a loaded glock in the kitchen counter. Her 5-yo nephew lived with them.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6855
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by BostonBeaneater » 06 Jan 2017, 12:57pm

Image

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25036
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Flex » 06 Jan 2017, 2:40pm

This is extremely good and proves we are a just and free society.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 08 Feb 2017, 9:00am

matedog wrote:
03 Apr 2016, 10:59am
I've never understood originalists. If you have to go back to what things were like back then and really try to interpret what they really meant, don't you have to ignore that they were all slave owners?
Because I remember you raising the question of originalism once …
https://thebaffler.com/blog/originalism ... i=42174802
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19928
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by matedog » 09 Feb 2017, 1:19pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2017, 9:00am
matedog wrote:
03 Apr 2016, 10:59am
I've never understood originalists. If you have to go back to what things were like back then and really try to interpret what they really meant, don't you have to ignore that they were all slave owners?
Because I remember you raising the question of originalism once …
https://thebaffler.com/blog/originalism ... i=42174802
Good memory and article. I actually reread this discussion a week or so ago.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 02 Oct 2017, 7:54am

That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5309
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by revbob » 02 Oct 2017, 9:15am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6855
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by BostonBeaneater » 02 Oct 2017, 10:18am

revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 9:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts
I just heard the recording too. This was a machine gun spraying high caliber rounds at the rate of five or so per second. If only there was a good hotel with a machine gun nearby. This country is mentally ill.
Image

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19928
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by matedog » 02 Oct 2017, 10:35am

revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 9:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts
Reading some other forums, people are saying it was likely "bump firing" (ie not an automatic rifle) due to inconsistent rate of fire:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 02 Oct 2017, 10:40am

BostonBeaneater wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 10:18am
This country is mentally ill.
These events demonstrate the malignant side of faith. A rational assessment of these occurrences, especially their frequency, should make a rational person conclude that the rules governing American society, legal and cultural, are encouraging these events that demonstrably decrease the quality of life—people are killed, wounded, and/or traumatized, others are warier of their fellow citizens and their own safety in public. Yet to the ardent pro-gun side, none of this matters. The private good of being able to acquire a gun always and wholly trumps any social consequences of gun violence. One cannot deviate from the faith that unrestricted access to weapons and ammunition is a good thing, regardless of consequences. These shootings cannot be taken as evidence of flawed norms because that counters an article of faith. The number of deaths or shootings are literally irrelevant. That's why the two sides of the gun argument can no longer have a meaningful discussion—one side is arguing from evidence and consequences, the other from faith.

As I've said before, if the US was under strict gun control and there were all these numbingly regular shootings, a fair-minded person would be right to question whether gun control was working. Yet the converse, whether easy access is working, is a non-starter.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6855
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by BostonBeaneater » 02 Oct 2017, 11:47am

matedog wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 10:35am
revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 9:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts
Reading some other forums, people are saying it was likely "bump firing" (ie not an automatic rifle) due to inconsistent rate of fire:
Thank you for this. I shall be able to up my efficiency.
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14843
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 02 Oct 2017, 2:23pm

matedog wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 10:35am
revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 9:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts
Reading some other forums, people are saying it was likely "bump firing" (ie not an automatic rifle) due to inconsistent rate of fire:
Why?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests