Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by BostonBeaneater »

BostonBeaneater

Top of the fridge! Great idea.
Police said Jacob Remaley attacked his mom and little brother after his dad left for work Wednesday morning. The teen grabbed his dad's gun from on top of the kitchen fridge and went to his parents' bedroom, where he shot his sleeping mother once in the forehead around 7 a.m.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

BostonBeaneater wrote:Top of the fridge! Great idea.
Police said Jacob Remaley attacked his mom and little brother after his dad left for work Wednesday morning. The teen grabbed his dad's gun from on top of the kitchen fridge and went to his parents' bedroom, where he shot his sleeping mother once in the forehead around 7 a.m.
Why not affixed to a refrigerator magnet? Jeez...I'd never keep track of my bottle openers if they were lost in the pile of shit on top of the fridge.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Rat Patrol wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:Top of the fridge! Great idea.
Why not affixed to a refrigerator magnet? Jeez...I'd never keep track of my bottle openers if they were lost in the pile of shit on top of the fridge.

My girlfriend when I was 19 was from upstate SC. Her father kept a loaded glock in the kitchen counter. Her 5-yo nephew lived with them.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

This is extremely good and proves we are a just and free society.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 Apr 2016, 10:59am
I've never understood originalists. If you have to go back to what things were like back then and really try to interpret what they really meant, don't you have to ignore that they were all slave owners?
Because I remember you raising the question of originalism once …
https://thebaffler.com/blog/originalism ... i=42174802
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2017, 9:00am
matedog wrote:
03 Apr 2016, 10:59am
I've never understood originalists. If you have to go back to what things were like back then and really try to interpret what they really meant, don't you have to ignore that they were all slave owners?
Because I remember you raising the question of originalism once …
https://thebaffler.com/blog/originalism ... i=42174802
Good memory and article. I actually reread this discussion a week or so ago.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 9:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts
I just heard the recording too. This was a machine gun spraying high caliber rounds at the rate of five or so per second. If only there was a good hotel with a machine gun nearby. This country is mentally ill.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Reading some other forums, people are saying it was likely "bump firing" (ie not an automatic rifle) due to inconsistent rate of fire:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 10:18am
This country is mentally ill.
These events demonstrate the malignant side of faith. A rational assessment of these occurrences, especially their frequency, should make a rational person conclude that the rules governing American society, legal and cultural, are encouraging these events that demonstrably decrease the quality of life—people are killed, wounded, and/or traumatized, others are warier of their fellow citizens and their own safety in public. Yet to the ardent pro-gun side, none of this matters. The private good of being able to acquire a gun always and wholly trumps any social consequences of gun violence. One cannot deviate from the faith that unrestricted access to weapons and ammunition is a good thing, regardless of consequences. These shootings cannot be taken as evidence of flawed norms because that counters an article of faith. The number of deaths or shootings are literally irrelevant. That's why the two sides of the gun argument can no longer have a meaningful discussion—one side is arguing from evidence and consequences, the other from faith.

As I've said before, if the US was under strict gun control and there were all these numbingly regular shootings, a fair-minded person would be right to question whether gun control was working. Yet the converse, whether easy access is working, is a non-starter.

BostonBeaneater

matedog wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 10:35am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Reading some other forums, people are saying it was likely "bump firing" (ie not an automatic rifle) due to inconsistent rate of fire:
Thank you for this. I shall be able to up my efficiency.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 10:35am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Why?