What Are you Eating Right Now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 9:57am
Question for people who regularly drink orange juice (real squeezed, not the concentrated kind): Have you noticed a drop in quality of late? I have a glass first thing every morning (washing down a shitload of vitamins I take) and it's been months since I've had actually tangy OJ. It's been rather watery for the longest time. Is it my taste buds or has the recent orange crop been poor or what?
Do you squeeze/juice it yourself?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 3:51pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 3:47pm
Once coffee was discovered how did tea survive?
I do like tea, but a hot beverage with breakfast other than coffee makes no sense to me.
Hot tea is basically a thing I have once in a blue moon because coffee would keep me up. Coffee is a thing I have every day because it is my lifeblood.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:32am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Question for people who regularly drink orange juice (real squeezed, not the concentrated kind): Have you noticed a drop in quality of late? I have a glass first thing every morning (washing down a shitload of vitamins I take) and it's been months since I've had actually tangy OJ. It's been rather watery for the longest time. Is it my taste buds or has the recent orange crop been poor or what?
I am a lazy, lazy man. I buy the cartoned stuff, extra pulp.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I do like tea, but a hot beverage with breakfast other than coffee makes no sense to me.
Hot tea is basically a thing I have once in a blue moon because coffee would keep me up. Coffee is a thing I have every day because it is my lifeblood.
You ever go off coffee? Withdrawal pains are a bastard. When I had that stomach flu a couple weeks ago, I stopped drinking coffee and by day 5 I started aching in my muscles and joints until I could get back on the caffeine kick. I've stopped drinking coffee a few times in the past and waiting for it to leach out of your system is like a multi-day charley horse.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:38am
Wolter wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
You ever go off coffee? Withdrawal pains are a bastard. When I had that stomach flu a couple weeks ago, I stopped drinking coffee and by day 5 I started aching in my muscles and joints until I could get back on the caffeine kick. I've stopped drinking coffee a few times in the past and waiting for it to leach out of your system is like a multi-day charley horse.
Twice. Both times sucked so bad and yet here I am, coming back for more.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:35am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Im guessing it has more to do with either the age of the oranges/juice or rhe quality of the oranges they are using. Perhaps a bad lot of oranges made it thru and depending on the whole process from start to finish made it your way. Have you switched brands or supposed region of origin for the oranges? I dont eat them anymore because of acid reflux they give me but i can certainly recall getting some bland and bad tasting oranges. My suggestion is to get a juice maker of some sort you can tesdt the quality going in.

As for caffiene i just spent about a week where the only source was coffee which also wreaks havoc with my stomach so i had no caffiene at all. Despite sleeping on some not so comfortable beds i slept really well after the first 2 days.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 12:00pm
Im guessing it has more to do with either the age of the oranges/juice or rhe quality of the oranges they are using. Perhaps a bad lot of oranges made it thru and depending on the whole process from start to finish made it your way. Have you switched brands or supposed region of origin for the oranges? I dont eat them anymore because of acid reflux they give me but i can certainly recall getting some bland and bad tasting oranges. My suggestion is to get a juice maker of some sort you can tesdt the quality going in.
I don't have a preferred brand. One brand or another is always on sale—the grocery store rotates—so I go for that. It's never been a problem before, tho. Oh well, not a huge deal, just a curiosity.
As for caffiene i just spent about a week where the only source was coffee which also wreaks havoc with my stomach so i had no caffiene at all. Despite sleeping on some not so comfortable beds i slept really well after the first 2 days.
I only drink the one cup in the morning, albeit an Americano, so it is supercharged. But it's enough that if I miss a few days, holy shit does it hurt. As Wolter said, gotta keep coming back to avoid that pain.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 12:47pm
revbob wrote:
I don't have a preferred brand. One brand or another is always on sale—the grocery store rotates—so I go for that. It's never been a problem before, tho. Oh well, not a huge deal, just a curiosity.
I only drink the one cup in the morning, albeit an Americano, so it is supercharged. But it's enough that if I miss a few days, holy shit does it hurt. As Wolter said, gotta keep coming back to avoid that pain.
I tend to drink a lot of tea and have at times in the past also drank other highly caffinated beverages still do from time to time actually if i really need that pick me up. So going without is tough but not to the degree of which you speak.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 12:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I tend to drink a lot of tea and have at times in the past also drank other highly caffinated beverages still do from time to time actually if i really need that pick me up. So going without is tough but not to the degree of which you speak.
When I have tea these days, it's only some kind of mint—spearmint or peppermint—so no caffeine there. But with winter coming up, I'll be drinking more tea during the day.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 12:54pm
When I have tea these days, it's only some kind of mint—spearmint or peppermint—so no caffeine there. But with winter coming up, I'll be drinking more tea during the day
I had my first hot cup since last spring. Once the weather gets warm i dont have it again until the chill comes back which it did a bit this mornimg, the heat came on too. I make my own ice tea when the weather is warmer.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
The oranges are seasonal so different type of oranges taste different. I used to drink fresh squeezed natural OJ (with the pulp) no added sugar etc. with breakfast every morning until someone pointed out that it contained more sugar than coke!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 3:21pm
The oranges are seasonal so different type of oranges taste different. I used to drink fresh squeezed natural OJ (with the pulp) no added sugar etc. with breakfast every morning until someone pointed out that it contained more sugar than coke!
Perhaps, but not all sugars are the same in terms of how our bodies process them. Natural sugars are far more beneficial/less harmful than refined sugars, so comparing oj with Coke is a bit, um, apples to oranges.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

For no reason other amusement, goink goink goink goink!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:35am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's the first sign that agriculture is failing and our end is nigh. Embrace it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »