movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 12:53pm
JennyB wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 10:45am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 7:21pm
Kory wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 3:49pm

It's probably just one's mindset when they go in. It's not hard to imagine that her mood was elevated from being on vacation, and that made her perceive the restaurant as better than the one in her town.
It blows my mind that someone would eat at Olive Garden on a visit to New York. To me that's like going to a Red Lobster in Maine.
My friend Chris (he's one of my best friends from college and the guy I went to Depeche Mode with) lives in NYC. He LOVES Panda Express. But he refuses to eat at the one around the corner from his apartment. He only goes if he happens to be in New Jersey.
If you're talking about Hubis, he's got bigger issues than Panda Express.
I only eat at Chinese joints with duck carcasses hand in the front window.
Those are the real deal.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 4:59pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 12:53pm
JennyB wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 10:45am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 7:21pm

It blows my mind that someone would eat at Olive Garden on a visit to New York. To me that's like going to a Red Lobster in Maine.
My friend Chris (he's one of my best friends from college and the guy I went to Depeche Mode with) lives in NYC. He LOVES Panda Express. But he refuses to eat at the one around the corner from his apartment. He only goes if he happens to be in New Jersey.
If you're talking about Hubis, he's got bigger issues than Panda Express.
I only eat at Chinese joints with duck carcasses hand in the front window.
Those are the real deal.
A fish tank where you can pick out dinner is a good tell too.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I rather enjoyed IT. Had a Stranger Things feel about it due to setting it in the 80s, and I thought the clown was well fucking creepy.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Heston wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 6:09am
I rather enjoyed IT. Had a Stranger Things feel about it due to setting it in the 80s, and I thought the clown was well fucking creepy.
me too
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

OK, i haven't been watching many movies lately now that my new work scheduled has me going to bed the same time a zero year old would, but let's see what I got for ya....

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

cheese whiz, I haven't posted since July 28!

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) A local DJ records a pair of fratboys getting massacred on a cellphone, and Leatherface and the clan come after her when she plays it on the radio. Good thing she’s got “Lefty” (Dennis Hopper), a veteran cowboy-cop who has been chasing these murders for 13 years. Tobe Hooper returns to direct the sequel to his game changing classic, this time with tongue in cheek. Bill Mosley plays “Chop Top” in his first of about a hundred genre roles. This movie is a delight. I had the poster on my wall when I was a teenager!

Caltiki, the Immortal Monster (1959) While studying Mayan ruins, archeologists uncover a creature that looks like a cross between the blob and a slug. Two very pretty ladies, one blond, one brunette in this black & white Italian creature feature, that isn’t too special, other than Mario Bava has a directing credit on it, and the next year he would make the legendary Black Sunday.

The Devil’s Candy (2015) A metal dad and his metal daughter (and his not so metal wife) move into a new house in Texas. The former inhabitant of the house was a child murderer, and freshly out of the asylum, he starts hanging around. Metal dad is an artist, some dark forces cause him to paint some sort of Satanic mural, in which his daughter is in peril. Pretty good movie, though I have to say I predicted the ending exactly. Though he’s been in a hundred things, I recognized the killer from a very similar role he played in an X-Files episode from 20 years ago.

Tales From the Crypt Presents: Ritual (2002) This little voodoo-zombie flick hides in obscurity, but it's actually not bad and it's a remake of Val Lewtons 40s classic "I Walked With a Zombie." 80s actress Jennifer Grey is a doctor who gets her license revoked in the states, so she takes a private job in Jamaica caring for a man who claims to have been turned to a zombie by voodoo ritual. She spends much of the movie with nips showing through a wife-beater and underwear. Hey, it's hot in Jamaica. Super-sexy Kristen Wilson steals the show as the local girl who helps the doctor assimilate. Tim Curry is in there too. Enough blood and a little nudity, this was a surprise treat

End of the Line (2007) A late night subway train comes to a halt, and during the delay, a large group of religious cult members receive a mass text, instructing them to kill anyone who isn’t one of them. They all carry big crosses that double as a dagger, and one guy even had a sword! The victims run, then eventually arm themselves and fight back. The attackers range from small children to little old ladies and everyone in between. And no shortage of red stuff either, this was an absolute bloodbath. I don’t know where this Candian treat has been hiding, but it earns my seal of approval. RECOMMEND

Willard (1971) Ben Davison plays the title character, a 27 year old man struggling at his job and trying to make payments on his old house with his invalid mother (Elsa Lanchester). He make friends with rats he finds in his backyard, and trains them to do his bidding, first a prank, and eventually murder. Soon the rats number in the thousands, and he can’t exactly bring cutie-pie Sondra Locke home for dinner with all his housemates hanging around, can he? Ernest Borgnine is the standout performer as the dick-head boss. A fave of mine as a child, probably a case of “rose colored glasses” for me as I found plenty of flaws this time around, but I understand it was a huge box office success.

Don’t Knock Twice (2016) Lucy Boynton (The Blackcoat’s Daughter) has a demon after her as she returns to the home of her estranged mother. Plot points are given out like breadcrumbs throughout the film, and the paranormal stuff starts small and gradually increases, and though it’s another “must right a wrong” ghost story, there’s enough turns and cool visuals to make it worthwhile. Also, the mom wears a Stones and a Ramones shirt.

Phoenix Forgotten (2017) Found footage about a young woman who returns home to make a documentary about when her teenage brother and two friends went missing in 1997, shortly after UFO sightings in the area. A mix of her interviewing cops and witnesses, with VHS footage that the kids took at the time. Honestly, the first hour could have been summed up in 5 or 10 minutes, and the last 30-ish minutes tell the whole story. Not awful, but not particularly great or memorable.

Amusement (2008) Three pretty young ladies are tormented by a cackling maniac in three separate scenes with completely different M.O.s (Freeway killer, clown torments babysitter, psycho hospital) The connection is they all went to elementary school with the psycho. Pretty dull stuff, but I will remember that one of the girls was Jessica Lucas (Evil Dead 2013, Gotham)

It Comes at Night (2017) With some sort of unidentified plague rapidly killing the population outside, two families share a cabin in the woods and the paranoia begins. I know a lot of people like this one, but for me it was all build-up off with not a big enough payoff. I’m not saying I didn’t like it, but expected a lot more. I wouldn’t watch it twice.

Colossal (2016) Anne Hathaway is problem drunk, whose boyfriend kicks her out of their New York apartment. She goes back to her small town home and runs in to childhood friend Jason Sudekis, who gives her part time work at his bar. Meanwhile in Seoul, Korea, a giant monster is smashing buildings. Anne soon realizes that her drunken stumbling is identical to the monster that she sees on the TV news. Nacho Vigalondo's (Timecrimes) allegory on alcoholism was amusing at times, but I wouldn't watch it twice.

Carrie (1976) I have warm childhood memories of watching this with the entire family during a late 70s TV broadcast, specifically the jumpscare at the end, and it's remained pretty much my alltime favorite movie ever since. You know what it's about: Telekinetic wallflower with a religious zealot mother goes on rampage after prom night humiliation. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie were both Oscar nominated, and also with Amy Irving, Nancy Allen and John Travolta. Brian DePalma directs based on Stephen King's first novel.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 6:02pm
Carrie (1976) I have warm childhood memories of watching this with the entire family during a late 70s TV broadcast, specifically the jumpscare at the end, and it's remained pretty much my alltime favorite movie ever since. You know what it's about: Telekinetic wallflower with a religious zealot mother goes on rampage after prom night humiliation. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie were both Oscar nominated, and also with Amy Irving, Nancy Allen and John Travolta. Brian DePalma directs based on Stephen King's first novel.
It's a horror classic, hands down, but, man, it's really ugly and cheap looking, like a tv movie. I didn't know that Spacek and Laurie got Oscar nominations, tho. The movie biz in the 70s really was much more open-minded.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The Transfiguration (2016) Milo is a teenage outcast in inner city New York. No friends, tortures animals (or at least “not anymore”), and is obsessed with all things related to vampires. So much that he bites people and drinks their blood. He meets a girl, has a run in with neighborhood gangstas, etc. I won’t go into detail, but I thought this movie was OUTSTANDING and I highly recommend it. It kind of made me think of George Romero’s Martin, which actually got name-checked in the film, as well as about a dozen other vampire movies.

Galaxy of Horrors (2017) Sci-Fi/Horror anthology with about 8 or 9 short stories…Jeez, I think I only really liked one of them. It was about a skeleton crew on a broken down space craft that unfroze a cryogenically frozen passenger for an interesting reason. Other shorts include unbreathable air that turns victims into instant-zombies, a Siri-like phone app that has a sense of justice, a pregnant male experiment in a female-less world, a futuristic drug deal, virtual reality and a couple more. I would definitely NOT recommend this one.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 1:23pm
The Transfiguration (2016) Milo is a teenage outcast in inner city New York. No friends, tortures animals (or at least “not anymore”), and is obsessed with all things related to vampires. So much that he bites people and drinks their blood. He meets a girl, has a run in with neighborhood gangstas, etc. I won’t go into detail, but I thought this movie was OUTSTANDING and I highly recommend it. It kind of made me think of George Romero’s Martin, which actually got name-checked in the film, as well as about a dozen other vampire movies.

I just watched this one and thought it was great. I agree with "It kind of made me think of George Romero’s Martin" and was taken aback when it was name-checked. Please keep these reviews coming mate I don't always reply but I always read them and appreciate them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 1:49pm
[ George Romero’s Martin" and was taken aback when it was name-checked.
Yeah, I said it to my wife, and then he said it and I was all "See? See?"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

dude, how cool is this poster:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 2:24pm
dude, how cool is this poster:

Yeah that's way cool.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

tepista wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 11:11am
Heston wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 6:09am
me too
three too.

Anyone else see Mother!? What was that?
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

JoseUnidos wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 5:12pm

I'm meaning to but haven't yet

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

tepista wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 5:33pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 5:12pm

I'm meaning to but haven't yet
I saw it, I read some reviews so knew what to expect. The first scene kinda gives a hint of what its all about. It gets crazy the last 20 minutes.