We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: XTC Black Sea reissue

Post by Heston »

Not sure how they can improve on this one, one of the best produced albums I've ever heard.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 1:31am
Not sure how they can improve on this one, one of the best produced albums I've ever heard.
I bet it sounds awesome. Steven Wilson has produced fantastic results so far remixing the XTC back catalog.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

One of my all time favourite albums.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 5:25am
Same here every track on it is great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 5:26am
101Walterton wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 5:25am
Same here every track on it is great.
Yep agreed, one of the few albums I owned I never re bought on CD and still only listen to the vinyl copy.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

All of these expanded XTC reissues have been great. I mean the expanded versions on DVD-A and BluRay.
I even bought a cheap 2nd-hand BluRay player specifically to play them, cos the BluRay versions have extra material in some cases - and I don't even a multi-channel music setup! Just my standard stereo. Plus you get some video content of course, in great quality,
I bet the surround-sound mixes are great to hear - one day, one day....
With all the added demos and B-sides and remixes, these reissues are like a multi-disc box set in a CD-sized package, and I agree they sound fantastic. That Steven Wilson certainly knows his way around a mixing desk.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JohnS wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 5:51am
All of these expanded XTC reissues have been great. I mean the expanded versions on DVD-A and BluRay.
I even bought a cheap 2nd-hand BluRay player specifically to play them, cos the BluRay versions have extra material in some cases - and I don't even a multi-channel music setup! Just my standard stereo. Plus you get some video content of course, in great quality,
With all the added demos and B-sides and remixes, these reissues are like a multi-disc box set in a CD-sized package, and I agree they sound fantastic. That Steven Wilson certainly knows his way around a mixing desk.
The Clash would do well to take notice.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 6:21am
JohnS wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 5:51am
The Clash would do well to take notice.
If only mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

That being said, the amount of inconclusive research I usually have to put in on re-releases is pretty annoying. Imagine how excited I was for those Banshees remasters only to find they sound awful. The new-ish Midnight Oil remasters aren't that great, either (though, just being louder is helpful since they were some of the quietest original masters I've ever heard).
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 12:27pm
That being said, the amount of inconclusive research I usually have to put in on re-releases is pretty annoying. Imagine how excited I was for those Banshees remasters only to find they sound awful. The new-ish Midnight Oil remasters aren't that great, either (though, just being louder is helpful since they were some of the quietest original masters I've ever heard).
The XTC remasters are superb.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:29am
Kory wrote:
Sure, I've picked up on that, just making conversation. :mrgreen:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 12:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Oh for sure mate. I totally agree with you as well there is nothing worse when we repurchase an item for it's remastering and it doesn't sound as good as the original.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 12:23pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Oh for sure mate. I totally agree with you as well there is nothing worse when we repurchase an item for it's remastering and it doesn't sound as good as the original.
Steve Hoffman forums are a good resource for it (as long as anyone is talking about the remaster you're wondering about), but the problem you get there is that (of course) taste is totally subjective. So where one person will prefer a certain remaster, others will dislike it, and this can change drastically even between albums in the same remastering set! So you have to buy all of them to see if it's to your own taste. I think remasters should come with a press release that states definitively something like: "the bass is rounder and more prominent, and the guitars are quieter but no less tonally sculpted than the previous master," etc etc etc. No value judgments, just hard facts.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 12:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 12:23pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Steve Hoffman forums are a good resource for it (as long as anyone is talking about the remaster you're wondering about), but the problem you get there is that (of course) taste is totally subjective. So where one person will prefer a certain remaster, others will dislike it, and this can change drastically even between albums in the same remastering set! So you have to buy all of them to see if it's to your own taste. I think remasters should come with a press release that states definitively something like: "the bass is rounder and more prominent, and the guitars are quieter but no less tonally sculpted than the previous master," etc etc etc. No value judgments, just hard facts.
I think the answer to all this is just going back in time where you used to be able to go into a little booth and listen to a record before you buy it. In this case they should put up some samples of the remaster in Flac to download to have a listen to. Of coure as you say it's subjective to oes taste. I have visited the Hoffman forums on occasion and enjoyed the comments at times although some are unbelievably nit picking.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia