Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 3:37pm
21) Here's Johnny by Ed McMahon. Audiobook as read by the author. This memoir of the man's years sat to the right of Johnny Carson won't break any new ground, but it delivers on the blurb's promise of being like having lunch with Ed. A boozy, repetitive lunch where decades old jokes are retold and Johnny's honour is diligently defended and any claims of Carson having ice in his veins roundly denied. Fun escapism, no literary worth.
Does this play incessantly in the background?

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Delightful fact: Ed McMahon went to high school with Jack Kerouac.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 4:20pm
The path not taken, eh?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 4:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The path not taken, eh?
I know! Kerouac would have been even better as Johnny's sidekick.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 4:35pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The path not taken, eh?
Jack: Crazy, mad, I long for the distance, the drive, the constant steering of a lost night under a blood red moon.
Johnny: You really think you're fooling us all, don't you, drunky?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 4:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 4:35pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The path not taken, eh?
Jack: Crazy, mad, I long for the distance, the drive, the constant steering of a lost night under a blood red moon.
Johnny: You really think you're fooling us all, don't you, drunky?
:lol: We live in the wrong universe.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Whole passel of new reading just started …
Audio
Long been on my list, but Wolter mentioning him the other day inspired me to bump him up. Starting this tomorrow.

Tub
I've read this years and years ago and wasn't taken by the work, but I love the concept so much (and bad science in general) that I'm giving it a second shot.

Bedtime
The postseason is just around the corner, so an account of the '47 WS.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 5:34pm

I've read this years and years ago and wasn't taken by the work, but I love the concept so much (and bad science in general) that I'm giving it a second shot.
I remember a kid in middle school during a science class started talking about this as if it was real. Like this is what hed been taught by his parents as a child.

Needless to say a wierd kid, even by middle school standards

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 5:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 5:34pm

I remember a kid in middle school during a science class started talking about this as if it was real. Like this is what hed been taught by his parents as a child.

Needless to say a wierd kid, even by middle school standards
He's probably a state senator now.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

22) The Man In the High Castle - Philip K Dick. Audiobook, from an old battered tape, which had the echoing of the other side audible. A book that was all about the setting over the actual plot or characters, neither of which were particularly worth time. The alt-timeline is very nicely and imaginatively realised and makes the book worth your time. I can see why somebody might think this may be worth setting a TV show in, but I couldn't get through that first episode.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 11:58am
22) The Man In the High Castle - Philip K Dick. Audiobook, from an old battered tape, which had the echoing of the other side audible. A book that was all about the setting over the actual plot or characters, neither of which were particularly worth time. The alt-timeline is very nicely and imaginatively realised and makes the book worth your time. I can see why somebody might think this may be worth setting a TV show in, but I couldn't get through that first episode.
I listened to that maybe five years ago and it confirmed that I love PKD's short fiction but not his novels. We've watched the adaptation from the start mainly because it's visually quite rich and vibrant. Plus there are a few changes that make it more compelling than the novel.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 1:12pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I listened to that maybe five years ago and it confirmed that I love PKD's short fiction but not his novels. We've watched the adaptation from the start mainly because it's visually quite rich and vibrant. Plus there are a few changes that make it more compelling than the novel.
Very good point. His flaws as a writer are much more forgivable in 30 pages. You're just left with a happy swim in whatever his disturbing ideas are without being distracted by his paper thin characterisation.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 3:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 1:12pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Very good point. His flaws as a writer are much more forgivable in 30 pages. You're just left with a happy swim in whatever his disturbing ideas are without being distracted by his paper thin characterisation.
I'm the same way with Fitzgerald. I just have a devil of a time maintaining interest in his novels, but a nice tight short story works quite well.

(Also, that Palahniuk short story collection was largely disappointing. A couple amusing pieces that conveyed his earlier style well, but most of the stories were lifeless. I fear he's drained himself of his ability.)

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Just read Horace Panter Ska'd For Life and now reading Neville Staple Borstal To Rude Boy.
Interesting to read the same story from two different perspective (actually two different universe the gulf between these two personalities).
Let's just say Neville's version is more colourful!!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 4:00pm
Just read Horace Panter Ska'd For Life and now reading Neville Staple Borstal To Rude Boy.
Interesting to read the same story from two different perspective (actually two different universe the gulf between these two personalities).
Let's just say Neville's version is more colourful!!
Holy SHIT that's creepy. I was just coming here to say that I was halfway through Horace's book. It's interesting to find out that Horace wasn't really into Jamaican music growing up like a lot of other people in the scene were.