The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71118
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 May 2017, 9:32am

BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 8:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 4:23pm
From about age 8 to 14, my only jacket was denim. I never took the sleeves off, tho, or wrote anything on the back. I was middle class, you see.
No Maiden patch?




Oh yeah, you'd have had a Rush Pesto patch.
I was a middle-class good kid, sir. I had no patches on my jean jacket. :naughty:
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71118
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 18 May 2017, 4:58pm

From Matt Taibbi's obituary for Ailes:
Ailes trained Americans to shop for the news as a commodity. Not just on the right but across the political spectrum now, Americans have learned to view the news as a consumer product.

What most of us are buying when we tune in to this or that channel or read this or that newspaper is a reassuring take on the changes in the world that most frighten us. We buy the version of the world that pleases us and live in little bubbles where we get to nurse resentments all day long and no one ever tells us we're wrong about anything. Ailes invented those bubbles.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/fe ... er-w483013

There seems, on first blush, some truth to this. Perhaps Facebook, Twitter, et al would have accomplished the same deed—I follow only those I agree with, I'll unfriend those whose views differ, but I want confirmation of my beliefs and outrages—but there's merit to the idea that Ailes, taking advantage of the end of the Fairness Doctrine, gave it a vital first push.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7976
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Inder » 06 Sep 2017, 12:48pm

With tronc in the news recently for picking up the LA Times and NYDN/installing an ex-Yahoo! person to head the thing, I still find it baffling how tech assholes somehow became qualified to run news properties. The (UK) Telegraph tried SEO journalism around 2013 with an ex-AOL guy in charge — to much derision, no appreciable benefits and inferior journalism. I think he got the sack like a year into the gig.

And another thing — the pivot to video thing that's being ruining lives in journalism recently is premised on such opaque bullshit. This in spite of the high-profile exposés on companies like Facebook fudging or fabricating metrics in order to sell expensive video advertising.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71118
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 06 Sep 2017, 1:08pm

Inder wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 12:48pm
With tronc in the news recently for picking up the LA Times and NYDN/installing an ex-Yahoo! person to head the thing, I still find it baffling how tech assholes somehow became qualified to run news properties. The (UK) Telegraph tried SEO journalism around 2013 with an ex-AOL guy in charge — to much derision, no appreciable benefits and inferior journalism. I think he got the sack like a year into the gig.
A belief that consumers are passive, yet somehow also unpredictable, so it just takes better technology to control the masses?
And another thing — the pivot to video thing that's being ruining lives in journalism recently is premised on such opaque bullshit. This in spite of the high-profile exposés on companies like Facebook fudging or fabricating metrics in order to sell expensive video advertising.
I fucking despise the presence of video in news stories, except in some circumstances where it's more like raw footage. I've got zero patience for watching some nimrod babbling when I can read the damn story myself. Again, tho, it's the perception of audience passivity plus the desire for it.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22598
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by eumaas » 06 Sep 2017, 1:09pm

Millennials vastly prefer reading the news to watching it. It's way quicker for one.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7372
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Kory » 06 Sep 2017, 1:17pm

eumaas wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 1:09pm
Millennials vastly prefer reading the news to watching it. It's way quicker for one.
Plus it's harder to watch a video when you're supposed to be doing other things.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 06 Sep 2017, 1:20pm

Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 1:17pm
eumaas wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 1:09pm
Millennials vastly prefer reading the news to watching it. It's way quicker for one.
Plus it's harder to watch a video when you're supposed to be doing other things like reading.
Image
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71118
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 07 Sep 2017, 6:31am

Coincidentally, I've noticed the last few days that some sites won't let embedded video play unless I turn adblocker off. That's, um, that's quite a threat you got going there, chum.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7372
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Kory » 07 Sep 2017, 12:55pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 6:31am
Coincidentally, I've noticed the last few days that some sites won't let embedded video play unless I turn adblocker off. That's, um, that's quite a threat you got going there, chum.
UX FUN!
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7976
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Inder » 02 Nov 2017, 5:09pm


Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71118
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 02 Nov 2017, 5:14pm

eumaas wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 1:09pm
Millennials vastly prefer reading the news to watching it. It's way quicker for one.
Interestingly enough, students raised this a couple weeks ago and almost all of them said that, yup, they'd rather read something that watch a video. Is the push to video meant for old folks or is it just social engineering, user preference be damned?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12594
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 02 Nov 2017, 5:51pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:14pm
eumaas wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 1:09pm
Millennials vastly prefer reading the news to watching it. It's way quicker for one.
Interestingly enough, students raised this a couple weeks ago and almost all of them said that, yup, they'd rather read something that watch a video. Is the push to video meant for old folks or is it just social engineering, user preference be damned?
My educated guess is that its better for ad revenue.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71118
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 02 Nov 2017, 5:54pm

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:14pm
eumaas wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 1:09pm
Millennials vastly prefer reading the news to watching it. It's way quicker for one.
Interestingly enough, students raised this a couple weeks ago and almost all of them said that, yup, they'd rather read something that watch a video. Is the push to video meant for old folks or is it just social engineering, user preference be damned?
My educated guess is that its better for ad revenue.
How so?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12594
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 02 Nov 2017, 6:02pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:54pm
Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:14pm
eumaas wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 1:09pm
Millennials vastly prefer reading the news to watching it. It's way quicker for one.
Interestingly enough, students raised this a couple weeks ago and almost all of them said that, yup, they'd rather read something that watch a video. Is the push to video meant for old folks or is it just social engineering, user preference be damned?
My educated guess is that its better for ad revenue.
How so?
Harder to get around ads with an adblocker when they're hard coded into the vid, more user engagement because it requires more clicks, less scrolling down a page because you have to stay static to watch the video. I'm not basing this on anything but conjecture.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71118
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 02 Nov 2017, 6:20pm

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 6:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:54pm
Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:14pm
eumaas wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 1:09pm
Millennials vastly prefer reading the news to watching it. It's way quicker for one.
Interestingly enough, students raised this a couple weeks ago and almost all of them said that, yup, they'd rather read something that watch a video. Is the push to video meant for old folks or is it just social engineering, user preference be damned?
My educated guess is that its better for ad revenue.
How so?
Harder to get around ads with an adblocker when they're hard coded into the vid, more user engagement because it requires more clicks, less scrolling down a page because you have to stay static to watch the video. I'm not basing this on anything but conjecture.
Gotcha. The first part especially makes sense.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest