Funny sketch comedy that's funny

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Funny sketch comedy that's funny

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 9:03am
Curiosity: Did an old Canadian comedy duo called Wayne and Shuster ever make it into American (or even Limey) consciousness? They were active from the 40s to the 80s, so I don't expect any of the younglings to know them, but I'm curious about the arthritic crowd here. I loved 'em as a kid in the 70s, but their schtick—and it was schtick—hasn't aged well for me. (Frank Shuster, btw, was a cousin of Joe Shuster.)
I don't think the board is old enough nor Canadian enough. They don't look familiar. I remember liking Bob and Ray as a kid.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 8:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Curiosity: Did an old Canadian comedy duo called Wayne and Shuster ever make it into American (or even Limey) consciousness? They were active from the 40s to the 80s, so I don't expect any of the younglings to know them, but I'm curious about the arthritic crowd here. I loved 'em as a kid in the 70s, but their schtick—and it was schtick—hasn't aged well for me. (Frank Shuster, btw, was a cousin of Joe Shuster.)
I don't think the board is old enough nor Canadian enough. They don't look familiar. I remember liking Bob and Ray as a kid.
I figured that'd be the case re. W & S. I've heard of Bob and Ray, but never actually seen or heard them.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 9:05am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I figured that'd be the case re. W & S. I've heard of Bob and Ray, but never actually seen or heard them.
I recall WOR, channel 9 showing reruns of their show at some point.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 11:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Based on Wikipedia, Bob and Ray were working the same terrain as Wayne and Schuster. Just a half-step removed from vaudeville.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 12:33pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Based on Wikipedia, Bob and Ray were working the same terrain as Wayne and Schuster. Just a half-step removed from vaudeville.
None of them could hold a candle to Red Green though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 12:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 12:33pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

None of them could hold a candle to Red Green though.
Our Big Bang Theory. :disshame:

edit: Actually, Home Improvement is closer and just as unfunny.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watching Norm Macdonald's new special on Netflix. It's surprisingly not all that good. A few good bits here and there, but a whole lot of stuff that drags and has zero payoff.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2017, 2:09pm
Watching Norm Macdonald's new special on Netflix. It's surprisingly not all that good. A few good bits here and there, but a whole lot of stuff that drags and has zero payoff.
Norm agrees. http://www.avclub.com/article/norm-macd ... ial-255215

Personally, although there's a fallow stretch in the middle, it made me laugh harder than anything has in months.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

!!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wow. That's a who's who of Canadian Gen Xer coming of age comedy. Just getting Rick Moranis to come out of stasis is huge.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

You're welcome.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A bit too obvious at times, but this stands as an extended SCTV piece.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Is this funny? I think it is, but I honestly can't explain why it works.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 8:42am

Is it just the sheer absurdity?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 8:42am

Is it just the sheer absurdity?
Well, yes, but why is it absurd? What's being disrupted or transgressed or whatever to make that funny? I'm just curious about what's going on there that makes a person laugh.