Cut the Crap (Redux Edition)

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
absolutereality
Corner Soul

Re: Cut the Crap (Redux Edition)

Post by absolutereality »

Cheers Marky!

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

I'm still processing this after several listens. It's been so long since I've heard the original that it's hard to compare. It's definitely an improvement, though -- Cool Under Heat, Are You Red Y, Dirty Punk and Movers and Shakers all seem to have had some crap cut from them. Thanks again, Marky.

I do wonder who decided for Sheppard to do lead vocals on North and South. I actually like that song, but obviously Joe could've done so much more with it. Perhaps they were trying to recreate the old egalitarian spirit with Mick having so many songs of his own to sing.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

appleseed1 wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 9:12pm
I'm still processing this after several listens. It's been so long since I've heard the original that it's hard to compare. It's definitely an improvement, though -- Cool Under Heat, Are You Red Y, Dirty Punk and Movers and Shakers all seem to have had some crap cut from them. Thanks again, Marky.

I do wonder who decided for Sheppard to do lead vocals on North and South. I actually like that song, but obviously Joe could've done so much more with it. Perhaps they were trying to recreate the old egalitarian spirit with Mick having so many songs of his own to sing.
It's more like duet than a Nick lead vocal. Joe even has some lines to himself.

I finally gave this a proper listen today, I'm loving the deeper bass, especially noticeable on Three Card Trick.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 3:58pm
appleseed1 wrote:

I think Nick does a decent job. OK he's no Joe but the two of them together sound pretty good. I also think Joe could've done a lot worse than sticking with Nick and Pete and releasing Shouting Street as his first solo outing.

I finally gave this a proper listen today, I'm loving the deeper bass, especially noticeable on Three Card Trick.
I long for the stems to remix this. If only all the samples could be removed on Dictator and those hideous horns. I think that would at least make some of the synth drums more tolerable.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 5:28pm
Heston wrote:
appleseed1 wrote:

I think Nick does a decent job. OK he's no Joe but the two of them together sound pretty good. I also think Joe could've done a lot worse than sticking with Nick and Pete and releasing Shouting Street as his first solo outing.

I long for the stems to remix this. If only all the samples could be removed on Dictator and those hideous horns. I think that would at least make some of the synth drums more tolerable.
I have a drummer on stand by if the stems ever come out. It would be so easy to replace the drum machine. Strip it back to a couple of guitars, bass and Joe's vocals and you would be in business. Dictator gets crazier every time I hear it, I really don't know what the hell was going on at the mixing session.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 5:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
appleseed1 wrote:

I have a drummer on stand by if the stems ever come out. It would be so easy to replace the drum machine. Strip it back to a couple of guitars, bass and Joe's vocals and you would be in business. Dictator gets crazier every time I hear it, I really don't know what the hell was going on at the mixing session.
I think Bernie was just chucking in everything including the kitchen sink into the mix. It's not really all that surprising what Bernie did to Out of Contol and turning it into Cut the Crap. Let's not forget it was Bernie who was responsible for the Black Arabs on the Swindle album. Joe really should've seen all this coming.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I didn't know about that Bernie was responsible for Black Arabs, I actually thought it was pretty funny, CTC not so funny.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 10:03am
I didn't know about that Bernie was responsible for Black Arabs, I actually thought it was pretty funny, CTC not so funny.
On the Swindle it works fine. The whole joke was the piss-take of the music biz. Cut the Crap however was not so funny for a premiere group making a come back.

In fairness to Bernie he Joe and Paul as (Pepe Unidos) were allegedly responsible for "The Call Up" remix "The Cool Out" which in my opinion is a far superior mix than the single.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

I can't think of an another album that I'd rather hear remixed from the ground up with the stems than CTC. Earthquake Weather springs to mind obviously, but in a triage situation CTC goes to the operating room first.

And count me as surprised as well to hear about Rhodes' input on that Black Arabs track. It makes sense, though, since I've heard that Subway Sect was involved in the track, or were the Black Arabs themselves.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

appleseed1 wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 11:44pm
I can't think of an another album that I'd rather hear remixed from the ground up with the stems than CTC. Earthquake Weather springs to mind obviously, but in a triage situation CTC goes to the operating room first.

And count me as surprised as well to hear about Rhodes' input on that Black Arabs track. It makes sense, though, since I've heard that Subway Sect was involved in the track, or were the Black Arabs themselves.
'The Black Arabs' were an original group and not the Subaway Sect. Although I understand the slight confusion. In 1979 after Bernie Rhodes had sacked the current Subway Sect members Bob Ward/Colin Scott/Johnny Britten/Spartan Atkinson and retaining only Vic Godard the album "What's The Matter Boy?" was recorded and the backing vocals and percussion was provided by The Black Arabs. Also on these recording were Terry Chimes (Drums) and his brother Paul Chimes (Bass). The Black Arabs had also been used previously for the recording of Subway Sects debut album that was recorded in 1977 at Gooseberry Studios, London. Only a handful of tracks from this recording remain as the master tapes are lost.
Attachments
The Black Arabs Lester, Henry and Arthur 1980..png
The Black Arabs Lester, Henry and Arthur 1980..png (914.82 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
Last edited by Marky Dread on 04 Oct 2017, 1:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I like this version better than the original - job well done, but I don't know if I'll ever add it to regular rotation! I agree - if someone could just get the stems - I "think" there is a good record in there - if someone could remove a lot of the extra gunk and get some actual live drums! I just don't see this ever happening. The band has washed their hands of the whole thing - cut it from their history - written it off as Bernie trying to yet again be Malcolm. I think we're stuck with the album as is - so again, thank you for doing what you can with what there is to work with!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 2:37am
The Black Arabs had also been used previously for the recording of Subway Sects debut album that was recorded in 1977 at Gooseberry Studios, London. Only a handful of tracks from this recording remain as the master tapes are lost.
To what extent were they involved? Just for reinforcement, or was it more of a Mick/Paul replacement situation?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 12:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
The Black Arabs had also been used previously for the recording of Subway Sects debut album that was recorded in 1977 at Gooseberry Studios, London. Only a handful of tracks from this recording remain as the master tapes are lost.
To what extent were they involved? Just for reinforcement, or was it more of a Mick/Paul replacement situation?
It is mentioned by Vic himself in the sleevenotes for the reissued "What's The Matter Boy?". Just Percussion and backing vocals as far as I can tell. I think though I've misread this and what Vic is saying only refers to the Chimes brothers on that original '77 album. I don't think the Black Arabs were formed in '77 but later in '78.
Attachments
WTMB.jpg
WTMB.jpg (534.3 KiB) Viewed 3792 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 1:49pm
Kory wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 12:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
It is mentioned by Vic himself in the sleevenotes for the reissued "What's The Matter Boy?". Just Percussion and backing vocals as far as I can tell. I think though I've misread this and what Vic is saying only refers to the Chimes brothers on that original '77 album. I don't think the Black Arabs were formed in '77 but later in '78.
Ah, interesting. Thanks!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 5:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
appleseed1 wrote:

Bernie wanted to be an "artist" like Malcolm!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble