The Shoegazing Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Shoegazing Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heard them on a compilation the other day. With that name and that album cover, you know exactly what you're getting.

edit: Actually, that's not quite true. The name and sleeve suggest dream pop, but I think this is actually more Psychocandy, albeit with less surf rock influences.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
Heard them on a compilation the other day. With that name and that album cover, you know exactly what you're getting.

edit: Actually, that's not quite true. The name and sleeve suggest dream pop, but I think this is actually more Psychocandy, albeit with less surf rock influences.
Listening to their album Killerrockandroll now, pretty NOISY. I agree with you assessment.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:

Listening to their album Killerrockandroll now, pretty NOISY. I agree with you assessment.
I'm listening to that right now. You just know that they could play Psychocandy note for note, possibly better than J&MC now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'm listening to that right now. You just know that they could play Psychocandy note for note, possibly better than J&MC now.
They've done a pretty good job of emulating those distortion tones. A not unpleasant listen.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ambersmoke: https://ambersmoke.bandcamp.com/

After digging their contribution to that Swans tribute album, I listened to and bought their albums on bandcamp. The most recent one has a Slowdive/Mojave 3/Velvet Underground sound to it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 10:32am

After digging their contribution to that Swans tribute album, I listened to and bought their albums on bandcamp. The most recent one has a Slowdive/Mojave 3/Velvet Underground sound to it.
This is pleasant. Good find! I've been listening to this:

I was turned on by a friend. Their early work is your usual Joy Division follower stuff, but they soon figured out how to become an excellently experimental group on par with Eyeless in Gaza, The Pop Group, or This Heat, mixed with dream pop.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I was turned on by a friend. Their early work is your usual Joy Division follower stuff, but they soon figured out how to become an excellently experimental group on par with Eyeless in Gaza, The Pop Group, or This Heat, mixed with dream pop.
Holy shit, I love Disco Inferno! This is one of my favouritest songs ever:

Ian Krause dropped out of music for a bit, but he's been releasing new material via bandcamp the last few years. Not as jaw-dropping as DI, but if you like them, he'll appeal.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 2:41pm
Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Holy shit, I love Disco Inferno! This is one of my favouritest songs ever:

Ian Krause dropped out of music for a bit, but he's been releasing new material via bandcamp the last few years. Not as jaw-dropping as DI, but if you like them, he'll appeal.
That is a banger, for sure. I'll check out some more!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I recently came across one of those "10 shoegaze bands you should know" that try to tell you about some of the lesser known groups. There were about 4 that I hadn't heard of, and 3 whose descriptions were intriguing, so I'm in the process of checking them out:

No Joy: First couple albums are by-the-numbers, but their most recent album adds a really nice subtlety of songwriting and texture that makes them more interesting to listen to. I like it.

Venus Beads: Spotify only has one EP that I'm right in the middle of. So far they seem to be more on the rockin' side of gaze groups...like those you're not sure if they should really be called gaze (Swervedriver, Catherine Wheel after Ferment), but still some satisfying pre-grunge rock. Looking forward to checking out some more.

Black Ryder: Haven't checked out yet.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 4:17pm
No Joy: First couple albums are by-the-numbers, but their most recent album adds a really nice subtlety of songwriting and texture that makes them more interesting to listen to. I like it.
No Joy sounds like the name invented by a hack tv or movie writer looking for an easy laugh at the expense of a mopey goth character. "No Joy is a good band to cut yourself to" [canned laughter goes crazy].

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 4:38pm
Kory wrote:
No Joy sounds like the name invented by a hack tv or movie writer looking for an easy laugh at the expense of a mopey goth character. "No Joy is a good band to cut yourself to" [canned laughter goes crazy].
I always associate the phrase with Buffy because they used to use it once in a while. I agree it ain't the best name, but the third album is worth a listen. I gotta say though, we're starting to reach peak saturation with gaze revival bands. It's a bummer too, because some of them (and a few other bands in other subgenres) are really close to doing what I wanted to do with my next project, which really chaps my ass. Now I gotta figure out some other style to work on.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 5:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I always associate the phrase with Buffy because they used to use it once in a while.
They could tour with Big Fun from Heathers ("Suicide: Don't Do It").
I agree it ain't the best name, but the third album is worth a listen. I gotta say though, we're starting to reach peak saturation with gaze revival bands. It's a bummer too, because some of them (and a few other bands in other subgenres) are really close to doing what I wanted to do with my next project, which really chaps my ass. Now I gotta figure out some other style to work on.
Pan flute distortion? Yodel punk? Black metal polka?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 5:24pm
Kory wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 5:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I always associate the phrase with Buffy because they used to use it once in a while.
They could tour with Big Fun from Heathers ("Suicide: Don't Do It").
I agree it ain't the best name, but the third album is worth a listen. I gotta say though, we're starting to reach peak saturation with gaze revival bands. It's a bummer too, because some of them (and a few other bands in other subgenres) are really close to doing what I wanted to do with my next project, which really chaps my ass. Now I gotta figure out some other style to work on.
Pan flute distortion? Yodel punk? Black metal polka?
Klezmer djent.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 6:11pm
Klezmer djent.
You and Gene have finally found common working ground!