Oh Canada!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 6:45am
revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 6:35am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 6:14am
I have never ever ever never never ever heard it called anything but kickball. As far as I'm concerned central and eastern Canada has forfeited all legitimacy over this.
I find it hard to believe. Although I can imagine my Canadian cousins saying that along with the other goofy things they used to say.
There's always regionalisms, but they're usually semi-comprehensible. Soccer baseball makes no goddamned sense at all. How would that catch on when the more sensible term kickball was in circulation and free for use?
So, do you call a hoodie a "bunnyhug"?
But of course—there's something quite adorable about the term. The University of Saskatchewan sells bunnyhugs with the name and definition on them. We've purchased a few for friends over the years.
EDIT: the most annoying one for me (other than "pencil crayons") was learning half of Canada says poster board and half says Bristol board, because speaking as an artist, those are two different things.
I've asked the board about pencil crayons before, mainly because I goofily thought it was a universal term. I don't think I've ever used the term poster board before; growing up, it was Bristol board. So I don't know the difference between the two.

Another regionalism that I don't think I've shared here. Not sure if it's across Canada, but in Saskatchewan and Manitoba, underwear is gotch or gitch (as in, "Don't get your gitch in a knot"), while in Alberta it's gonch. And a wedgie is a gotchie pull.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

... what does everybody else call pencil crayons?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 5:48pm
Last I knew they were two separate things, pencils and crayons, not soccer-pencils, maple -crayons nor whstever other crazy term you canucks might dream up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
I think they said colored pencils.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 6:50pm
Inder wrote:
Yes.

And Bristol board is an artist quality heavy paper board, not the flimsy thing that poster board is.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 7:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:
Yes.

And Bristol board is an artist quality heavy paper board, not the flimsy thing that poster board is.
Poster board isn't the same as construction paper, is it?

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Isn't the stuff of pencil crayons the same thing as crayons, but encased within a pencil? Thus, a pencil crayon?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 8:08pm
Isn't the stuff of pencil crayons the same thing as crayons, but encased within a pencil? Thus, a pencil crayon?
Crayons are coloured wax (or some wax substitute); pencils and pencil crayons are graphite. Coloured pencil is a more accurate description.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 8:29pm
Inder wrote:
Crayons are coloured wax (or some wax substitute); pencils and pencil crayons are graphite. Coloured pencil is a more accurate description.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_pencil
Unlike graphite and charcoal pencils, colored pencils' cores are wax- or oil-based and contain varying proportions of pigments, additives, and binding agents

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 8:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 8:29pm
Inder wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_pencil
Unlike graphite and charcoal pencils, colored pencils' cores are wax- or oil-based and contain varying proportions of pigments, additives, and binding agents
Huh. Pencil crayons are certainly harder than regular crayons, more like a #2. I just assumed they were regular pencils but dyed.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

The very fact that you don't understand how dorky "pencil crayons" sounds is why the rest of the world makes fun of Canada.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 7:32pm
Wolter wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 7:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:
Yes.

Poster board isn't the same as construction paper, is it?
No. It's a cheap, lightweight card stock paper, usually glossy on one side.

Bristol board is a higher quality artist grade card stock paper. It's sometimes glossy on one side, though I prefer the vellum finish, as gloss picks up fingerprints and that can make inking difficult.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Can we all agree though that adult kickball (or baseball soccer, if you will) leagues are terrible?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 1:21pm
Can we all agree though that adult kickball (or baseball soccer, if you will) leagues are terrible?
Some games are for kids; kickball is one of them.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 1:21pm
Baseball soccer is worse by virtue of its naming convention.

Kickball has gotten pretty big around here. I used to think it was for those with very limited skills/atheletic ability. That turned out not to be true so I thought it was just people who didn't want to be all serious but that also turns out to not be true. So yeah, I don't get it.