The Smoked/cured/pickled meat appreciation thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

The Smoked/cured/pickled meat appreciation thread

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I shall open with a favorite of mine, Suho Meso which is brought to us by the peoples of the former Yugoslavia. Suho Meso means dry beef in the mother tongue and it's damn tasty. I cut it thin and like to serve it with a few slices of Munster cheese. It's smoky as smoky food gets and pairs well with your favorite beer. I was introduced to it by a Bosnian Muslim who I worked with for a time. He would give me a heel of it at Christmas and on my birthday. Now a days I get it at the al-Bos Cafe here in Grand Rapids. It's easy to find from distributors online and goes for $15 a pound commonly. It travels and keeps very well.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Re: The Smoked/cured/pickled meat appreciation thread

Post by Spiff »

Sidewalk ham or GTFO!
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

:lol:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Spiff wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 5:15pm
Sidewalk ham or GTFO!

They sell these on the streets on Lyon. They're goddam good.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 2:38pm
I shall open with a favorite of mine, Suho Meso which is brought to us by the peoples of the former Yugoslavia. Suho Meso means dry beef in the mother tongue and it's damn tasty. I cut it thin and like to serve it with a few slices of Munster cheese. It's smoky as smoky food gets and pairs well with your favorite beer. I was introduced to it by a Bosnian Muslim who I worked with for a time. He would give me a heel of it at Christmas and on my birthday. Now a days I get it at the al-Bos Cafe here in Grand Rapids. It's easy to find from distributors online and goes for $15 a pound commonly. It travels and keeps very well.

Wow that looks good. I would imagine that I can find that at a Bosnian restaurant here. Believe it or not, the Jortsville has the largest Bosnian population outside of Bosnia. I know, i know, haven't they suffered enough?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BostonBeaneater

JennyB wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 10:38am
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Wow that looks good. I would imagine that I can find that at a Bosnian restaurant here. Believe it or not, the Jortsville has the largest Bosnian population outside of Bosnia. I know, i know, haven't they suffered enough?
St. Lou is followed by Grand Rapids, MI and the Revere, MA. Go figure. Also get yourself an order of cevapi, a caseless beef sausage which is delicious. (Pic below)

http://www.stlbosnians.com/businesses-2 ... pa-market/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 11:35am
JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

St. Lou is followed by Grand Rapids, MI and the Revere, MA. Go figure. Also get yourself an order of cevapi, a caseless beef sausage which is delicious. (Pic below)

I read that as "ceaseless beef sausage" for a minute. Why won't it end?

When it comes to cured meats, lox is my go-to. I was surprised to find that it's infinitely better in Seattle than it is in New York, given that it has such an association with the city. But it's all for the best.

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BostonBeaneater

Kory wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 12:36pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 11:35am
JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

I read that as "ceaseless beef sausage" for a minute. Why won't it end?

When it comes to cured meats, lox is my go-to. I was surprised to find that it's infinitely better in Seattle than it is in New York, given that it has such an association with the city. But it's all for the best.

West Coast cold water salmon is among the best.

BostonBeaneater

If you're looking for Jewish lox and you're in NYC I suggest Russ and Daughters. They carry all variety of blessed Smoked fish.

They've been at it a while.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Ah yes! I think I went there the first time I was in NY. I didn't get anything though because I had just eaten at Katz'

BostonBeaneater

Kory wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 3:50pm
Ah yes! I think I went there the first time I was in NY. I didn't get anything though because I had just eaten at Katz'
Katz is great but my heart is with Pastrami Queen.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 2:16am
Kory wrote:

I ALSO like it there. I'll tell you what, there's a deficit of good pastrami in Seattle.

BostonBeaneater

Kory wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 12:34am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Kory wrote:

I ALSO like it there. I'll tell you what, there's a deficit of good pastrami in Seattle.

It should be an easy thing, right? Montreal, NYC and this place in Boston called Sam Lagrassa's are the best I've found.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Kory wrote:

That's because all of your Jews are vegan.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 9:23am
Kory wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Kory wrote:

That's because all of your Jews are vegan.
Stupid hipster city.