Today I learned …

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Today I learned …

Post by Dr. Medulla »

… raccoons eat rhubarb. At least, that seems the proper conclusion. We've planted rhubarb twice this year and twice the whole damned plant has vanished. The boss wants to blame my squirrels but there's been evidence of raccoon incursions so I'm inclined to blame them.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 10:59am
… raccoons eat rhubarb. At least, that seems the proper conclusion. We've planted rhubarb twice this year and twice the whole damned plant has vanished. The boss wants to blame my squirrels but there's been evidence of raccoon incursions so I'm inclined to blame them.
Do you also have deer? They ate all of our hastas, but they're so damn cute, I can't stay angry.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 11:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Do you also have deer? They ate all of our hastas, but they're so damn cute, I can't stay angry.
We're a bit too far in from the river and bush for deer (tho I have encountered them on my bike rides). Regardless, no way that deer are getting into our yard. I haven't made it easy for raccoons to get in, but if they're willing to do some climbing, they can get in.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 11:04am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
We're a bit too far in from the river and bush for deer (tho I have encountered them on my bike rides). Regardless, no way that deer are getting into our yard. I haven't made it easy for raccoons to get in, but if they're willing to do some climbing, they can get in.
Yeah - we have a three or four foot fence (never measured it), so the deer can jump that easily. We have raccoons, rabbits and squirrels too. And lots of moles.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 11:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 11:04am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah - we have a three or four foot fence (never measured it), so the deer can jump that easily. We have raccoons, rabbits and squirrels too. And lots of moles.
I encourage the squirrels by feeding them peanuts every morning, and the little bastards do bury peanuts in the lawn. But we've also had raccoons—that they're still coming despite the fences was confirmed in the last few days that a water bowl I have out for the squirrels was filled with dirty water in the morning; they're washing their food in it—and skunks and a couple groundhogs. I've blocked things off enough since replacing the sod back there that I don't see how skunks and ground hogs are getting in, but I can see raccoons climbing in via some trees.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not me this time. As a kid I used to pinch it out of the allotments on my way home from rugby on a Sunday morning and get my mum to make a crumble.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 3:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not me this time. As a kid I used to pinch it out of the allotments on my way home from rugby on a Sunday morning and get my mum to make a crumble.
That's why we planted it—to make rhubarb crisp. I'm really stunned that any creature would eat rhubarb raw given how tart it is.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 4:01pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's why we planted it—to make rhubarb crisp. I'm really stunned that any creature would eat rhubarb raw given how tart it is.
I didn't think you could? The leaves are toxic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 5:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Huh. Didn't know that. But absolutely everything was gone both times. Fuck, I hope it didn't kill the little bugger.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 5:04pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Huh. Didn't know that. But absolutely everything was gone both times. Fuck, I hope it didn't kill the little bugger.
Yep the leaves raw will make you ill Ok if cooked.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 7:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 11:52am

I encourage the squirrels by feeding them peanuts every morning, and the little bastards do bury peanuts in the lawn. But we've also had raccoons—that they're still coming despite the fences was confirmed in the last few days that a water bowl I have out for the squirrels was filled with dirty water in the morning; they're washing their food in it—and skunks and a couple groundhogs. I've blocked things off enough since replacing the sod back there that I don't see how skunks and ground hogs are getting in, but I can see raccoons climbing in via some trees.
BBE will back me up on this, Never Ever encourage the squirrels.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 7:52pm
101Walterton wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 7:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb.
Custard custard custard

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 8:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've been feeding them every morning for a good couple years now. No problems whatsoever and I enjoy watching them scamper around.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 8:44pm
revbob wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 8:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've been feeding them every morning for a good couple years now. No problems whatsoever and I enjoy watching them scamper around.
Me too, especially when I've winged them and they're dragging one leg.