Little Steven - Soulfire

General music discussion.
threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Little Steven - Soulfire

Post by threecoffins »

Anyone heard this yet? The album is quite good. MJ should take some notes here..

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: Little Steven - Soulfire

Post by muppet hi fi »

Wow! Another Sugar Miami Little Steven Silvio Van Zandt fan here! My brother ordered two copies, one for me; we'll have a listening party next Sunday after hoops.

I've heard three tracks, all excellent. He reprises several old songs he wrote for the Asbury Jukes, a couple covers and some new songs. Big early/mid-'70s soul vibe (Motown and Philly) - horn section, strings, some of his trademark funky Steve Cropper meets Keef Richards guitarings, sounds to be in great voice too.

And concur that our Mick should consider doing a proper solo album with whatever material he chooses, new/old/Clash/BAD/CS, etc.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I've heard stuff on Underground Garage, which I enjoyed but didn't totally inspire me to check out the record. Maybe I should give it a shot.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

It's a nice cohesive album with great guitar work. Plus a nice little Morricone style number which I'm always a sucker for!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

threecoffins wrote:
23 May 2017, 11:19pm
It's a nice cohesive album with great guitar work. Plus a nice little Morricone style number which I'm always a sucker for!
Nice! Doesn't really surprise me, though. Steve (and Bruce) have decades of cinematic influences under their belts. Really psyched to hear the full album on good speakers this weekend.

btw, Three Coffins - love your Saint Bo avatar. Brilliant!

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

muppet hi fi wrote:
23 May 2017, 11:40pm
threecoffins wrote:
Nice! Doesn't really surprise me, though. Steve (and Bruce) have decades of cinematic influences under their belts. Really psyched to hear the full album on good speakers this weekend.

Cheers! It's actually part of a larger visual project I'm working on. But I'm a Bo fanatic for sure :D

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

threecoffins wrote:
23 May 2017, 11:48pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
23 May 2017, 11:40pm
threecoffins wrote:

Cheers! It's actually part of a larger visual project I'm working on. But I'm a Bo fanatic for sure :D
Oh so that's your work? Well then, make sure in your project to get Otis somewhere in the Holy Trinity (and of course Chuck was at least an archangel!).

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

It won't make any sense at all until you see it for yourself haha! It'll be released soon so I'll definitely post it

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Have listened to 'Soulfire' about five times now, and yep, it's a grand record. Uniformly great songwriting and excellent production from Steve. His voice is a little less raw than in the past and with Springsteen, but that's OK - he's got loads of personality in his singing, and of course his firey guitar playing, lead and rhythm.

PJayBe
Corner Soul

Post by PJayBe »

Astoundingly good album. Saw him Manchester a couple of weeks back and that was fab too!

pachyderm
Dirty Punk

Post by pachyderm »

cool.

i saw him/them live here in nashville tn back around '83ish? little club on nolenseville road, don't recall the name. about 200(packed to capacity) of us in there. great show.