Best Clash book

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
electric-magic
Corner Soul

Best Clash book

Post by electric-magic »

Just thinking about my Clash books and have read all 50+ I always go back to Clash City Showdown by Chris Knowles. Don't Know why..It's just a great read and my all time fav Clash book.Maybe Chris is a bit over keen on Clash mk2, but still a great read. What do you guys think?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Best Clash book

Post by Low Down Low »

50+ Clash books? Sounds a lot, still have some reading to do here!

A couple stand out, I'd probably go for Marcus Gray's London Calling book which does justice to its subject. His other Clash book has its moments but all the myth busting in it just wears me out after a while.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

electric-magic wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 8:28am
Just thinking about my Clash books and have read all 50+ I always go back to Clash City Showdown by Chris Knowles. Don't Know why..It's just a great read and my all time fav Clash book.Maybe Chris is a bit over keen on Clash mk2, but still a great read. What do you guys think?
It's an entertaining format (essentially a collection of articles on a number of different Clash subjects). I feel like it is a little dated, given how things have developed in the last ten years. Either that, or my sophistication as a fan has grown so that I view it quite differently.

In all honesty, Gray's London Calling book is pretty stellar and Vince White's book is so entertaining. I reread Johnny Green's book a few years ago and forgot how quick and entertaining that book is. In terms of the standard bios, Passion is a Fashion and Return of the Last Gang are supposedly the go tos, but I haven't read those in about ten years, so I don't even really remember the difference between the two.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 10:44am
electric-magic wrote:
It's an entertaining format (essentially a collection of articles on a number of different Clash subjects). I feel like it is a little dated, given how things have developed in the last ten years. Either that, or my sophistication as a fan has grown so that I view it quite differently.

In all honesty, Gray's London Calling book is pretty stellar and Vince White's book is so entertaining. I reread Johnny Green's book a few years ago and forgot how quick and entertaining that book is. In terms of the standard bios, Passion is a Fashion and Return of the Last Gang are supposedly the go tos, but I haven't read those in about ten years, so I don't even really remember the difference between the two.
Last Gang is longer, I think. I still own both of them, but I have no idea why.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 11:07pm
matedog wrote:
electric-magic wrote:

There is also "Return of The Last Gang in Town" which covers a bit more stuff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 10:33am
Kory wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 11:07pm
matedog wrote:
electric-magic wrote:

There is also "Return of The Last Gang in Town" which covers a bit more stuff.
That's what I was referring to. I used them interchangeably, but only because Return was the only one I've read.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Hammy
Dirty Punk

Post by Hammy »

Schoolboy error - 'Before and After'
...bloody kids!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I think Keith Topping's The Complete Clash is great for dates and info.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Just picked up a copy of The Clash FAQ by Gary Jucha, dont know much about him and didnt have high expectations but enjoying what i've read so far, dont agree with a lot of his opinions but seems a decent read nonetheless.

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

I'm currently reading Combat Ready by Tim Satchwell which I am enjoying. The era and press releases described remind me of my youth and at the age of 14 buying Combat Rock on the day of it's release - May 14th 1982 in the Uk. It is always nice to read something from a fellow Clash fan. Many thanks Tim.

I have always liked Before and After and I prefer it to Bob Gruen's book which is still very good.
Joining the Street Parade

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

deny wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 7:37am
I'm currently reading Combat Ready by Tim Satchwell which I am enjoying. The era and press releases described remind me of my youth and at the age of 14 buying Combat Rock on the day of it's release - May 14th 1982 in the Uk. It is always nice to read something from a fellow Clash fan. Many thanks Tim.

I have always liked Before and After and I prefer it to Bob Gruen's book which is still very good.
I love Gruen's book but the glue job on the paperback edition should be a major embarrassment for the publisher.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I don't think anyone has mentioned this one.
Ebook here: https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.ph ... &t=2300665
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 6:22am
I don't think anyone has mentioned this one.
Ebook here: https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.ph ... &t=2300665
Thanks mate. Once I understand how it works.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

deny wrote:

CR is an excellent read. Just purchased a signed BG book for £20 on Ebay.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:03am
deny wrote:

CR is an excellent read. Just purchased a signed BG book for £20 on Ebay.
Yeah I enjoyed Combat Ready also. I've got that BG book but it's not signed so can you sign it for me. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia