WHAT'S UP WITH YOU HOSERS, DOC?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: WHAT'S UP WITH YOU HOSERS, DOC?

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 2:33pm
Arguments made that posit Quebeckers as grievously mistreated have long been part of Canada's national dialogue. The serious are so intertwined with the slight that I rarely consider any of them anymore.
Are they still hung up on the deportation of 1755?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 3:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Arguments made that posit Quebeckers as grievously mistreated have long been part of Canada's national dialogue. The serious are so intertwined with the slight that I rarely consider any of them anymore.
Undoubtedly. Along with Facebook pages of businesses in English and people with not enough true Quebecois spirit thinking they should be able to vote. A remarkably thin-skinned yet arrogant culture.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 4:00pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Undoubtedly. Along with Facebook pages of businesses in English and people with not enough true Quebecois spirit thinking they should be able to vote. A remarkably thin-skinned yet arrogant culture.
How could you say that about the French?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 4:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's funny, but I was, in the abstract, pretty supportive of French ambitions in this country before moving out here. Experiencing and observing first-hand that smugness has tempered my views considerably. The dismissive attitude toward aboriginal people, for example, often surpasses what I saw and heard growing up in Saskatchewan. When B was proposed to be an adjunct in the history dept here, the francophones argued against it, saying that there was no need to cater to aboriginal history. Yeah, fuck you, why should students hear about anything other than English and French settlers?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 4:49pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 4:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's funny, but I was, in the abstract, pretty supportive of French ambitions in this country before moving out here. Experiencing and observing first-hand that smugness has tempered my views considerably. The dismissive attitude toward aboriginal people, for example, often surpasses what I saw and heard growing up in Saskatchewan. When B was proposed to be an adjunct in the history dept here, the francophones argued against it, saying that there was no need to cater to aboriginal history. Yeah, fuck you, why should students hear about anything other than English and French settlers?
Same here. The whole premise of the recent Quebecois independence movement has been recognizing the Quebecois as a unique cultural identity while ignoring and stomping on the same ambitions of the Native people of Quebec. This was laid bare during the Oka standoff and the state power company in relation to the rights of the Cree and Inuit, hey the French don't live in northern Quebec so it must be free to be used as they please.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 9:15am
The whole premise of the recent Quebecois independence movement has been recognizing the Quebecois as a unique cultural identity while ignoring and stomping on the same ambitions of the Native people of Quebec. This was laid bare during the Oka standoff and the state power company in relation to the rights of the Cree and Inuit, hey the French don't live in northern Quebec so it must be free to be used as they please.
Even more nakedly, in 1996, during the second referendum for Quebec independence, First Nations either held their own vote or planned to—can't recall for certain—regarding whether to stay in Canada or go with Quebec if the leave side won. Quebecois nationalists immediately said that Indians didn't have that right, that that vote wouldn't matter. Constitutionally, questions of aboriginal land are a federal matter, so a province choosing to leave would not be entitled to reserve land anyway, but it made clear if there were a principle in operation, it wasn't about democracy or self-determination. Non-aboriginal people of other provinces likely would have been just as contemptuous, but French nationalists created the situation to demonstrate both their hypocrisy and racism. (There was also that little thing on the evening of the referendum vote, when it was evident that the separatists narrowly lost, that the nationalist leader, drunk, made allusions to Jews and other false Quebeckers thwarting the will of the real people.)