Not bad.

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Re: Hey, remember Rancid?

Post by threecoffins »

Inder wrote:
30 May 2017, 2:07pm

Not bad.
Not bad. The Tim-sung tunes I've heard so far sound ultra lazy though. I agree with most that they peaked on LWW and stayed good til Indestructible. Everything after that has been mediocre, with a few outliers. I'd frankly rather hear a new Bastards album, because Lars' other projects are pretty boring too.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

It's gotten to the point where Tim needs an accent coach if he wants to gain any more supporting roles as "middle-aged smoker recovering from a massive stroke." He's doing whatever the singing equivalent is of overacting. :shifty:

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Rat Patrol wrote:
30 May 2017, 3:53pm
It's gotten to the point where Tim needs an accent coach if he wants to gain any more supporting roles as "middle-aged smoker recovering from a massive stroke." He's doing whatever the singing equivalent is of overacting. :shifty:
Totally. He's become the "fat years" Orson Welles of punk haha!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

threecoffins wrote:
30 May 2017, 4:40pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
30 May 2017, 3:53pm
Totally. He's become the "fat years" Orson Welles of punk haha!
I prefer the LaMarche Welles:

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Remember Rancid??? I just saw them last night with the Dropkick Murphy's, neither of them are my favorites but I went with a friend and they were both really good. Not my generation punk rock but still good.

Rancid moved around a lot less than when I saw them in 95, back then they were bouncing all over the place, but at least now Tim and Lars actually sing into the microphone. They look terrible but sound the same, most of the set was the first 2 or 3 albums with some new songs thrown in.

The encore was amazing with both bands coming out for Cretin Hop, Folsom Prison Blues and If the Kids Are United

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

coffeepotman wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 9:45am

The encore was amazing with both bands coming out for Cretin Hop, Folsom Prison Blues and If the Kids Are United
Awesome, Rancid usually plays "Kids" but it's been many years since I've seen them.

I bought the new fucking record a couple weeks ago and I still haven't played it!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 1:13pm
coffeepotman wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 9:45am

Awesome, Rancid usually plays "Kids" but it's been many years since I've seen them.

I bought the new fucking record a couple weeks ago and I still haven't played it!
The new album's really good.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Love this BBC session, great alternate versions in superb quality. Time Bomb is just immense with that extended bit in the middle. Shame about the quick fades which are probably due to DJs talking...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 7:01pm
Love this BBC session, great alternate versions in superb quality. Time Bomb is just immense with that extended bit in the middle. Shame about the quick fades which are probably due to DJs talking...

I hate it when DJs talk over the music as if they are somehow more important than the music.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 7:20pm
Heston wrote:

I hate it when DJs talk over the music as if they are somehow more important than the music.
Yeah, it's a pet hate of mine. Even worse when they sing over the end like Steve Wright (it's a Limey thing).
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 7:28pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yeah, it's a pet hate of mine. Even worse when they sing over the end like Steve Wright (it's a Limey thing).
I can't imagine anyone thinking it's a good thing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 7:40pm
Heston wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 7:28pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

I can't imagine anyone thinking it's a good thing.
It was one of the things that made Alan Freed's reputation back in 1954. He'd scream along to the song and add percussion by hitting a phone book. But, yeah, it's not 1954 anymore and listening to rock n roll isn't some cult thing that needs encouragement.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:

That was a lot of fun, thanks for sharing. They always seemed to have the ability to do some interesting things live (like that version of that "Wrongful Suspicion" you posted earlier), but my understanding is they rarely do.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

I've been on a bit of a Rancid tip recently and I've decided "Wolves" is probably one of the greatest albums ever made even though it's 5 songs too long. Anyway, I enjoyed listening to this tonight, the album played in its entirety with the band discussing the songs...