Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
26 May 2017, 11:36am
JennyB wrote:
24 May 2017, 1:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2017, 12:44pm
I remember watching an episode of the short-lived Rock n Roll Jeopardy, and one of the contestants had a Ringo story. He was either working at a music supply shop or was working for the promoter of one of Ringo's concerts (likely the former). He needed, I think, guitar strings but thought the guy in question should pay for them or give them for free. "Come on, do it for Ringo," he cooed. And, indeed, he didn't have to pay.
I miss Rock and Roll Jeopardy.
I remember Mark McGrath was incredibly good at that.
Yeah. He was like the Ken Jennings of RRJ.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

The remix is 👌👌👌👌👌

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

5 Fixing a Hole (Remix).mp3
(8.64 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
11 Good Morning Good Morning (Remix).mp3
(8.5 MiB) Downloaded 68 times

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
26 May 2017, 12:36pm
The remix is 👌👌👌👌👌
I've only listened to a few selected tracks—"Day in the Life" and "Strawberry Fields Forever"—but there seems to be greater distinction between different instruments and effects.

Interesting perspective here, suggesting that the album also reflects rock star boredom and confinement. In that, perhaps, an extension of McCartney's original idea behind Pepper being to reinvent themselves.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... emix-album
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Been doing an A/B test and the new stereo mix of Sgt Pepper is far superior, The drums really stand out, I can see why Ringo was so happy with it.
Last edited by coffeepotman on 26 May 2017, 3:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

coffeepotman wrote:
26 May 2017, 3:33pm
the new mix is far superior
Ringo really stands out
:shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Ah yes, the original ¡Cuba!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Inder wrote:
26 May 2017, 4:45pm
Ah yes, the original ¡Cuba!
Bernie in Abbey Road
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex

Post by Flex »

I've never been anti-Beatles or whatever - they were actually one of the first musical obsessions I had in my embryonic attraction to music - but they're another one of those bands that my affection for seems to have gone on overdrive for in the last few years. I'm sure the steady diet of reissues, documentaries, etc. has helped (as did seeing McCartney live), but I'm actually excited to go pick up the new Peppers record this afternoon, as a new release I've been waiting for. Wild.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 May 2017, 5:40pm
I've never been anti-Beatles or whatever - they were actually one of the first musical obsessions I had in my embryonic attraction to music - but they're another one of those bands that my affection for seems to have gone on overdrive for in the last few years. I'm sure the steady diet of reissues, documentaries, etc. has helped (as did seeing McCartney live), but I'm actually excited to go pick up the new Peppers record this afternoon, as a new release I've been waiting for. Wild.
I'm the same way. Even as musical tastes have gone in more extreme directions (more abstract, noisy, drone), my love for the Beatles has only increased. I can listen to "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "Strawberry Fields" over and over and over, just inhaling the songs in and of themselves while also marvelling at the historical context. I'm very much a "different strokes for different folks" person when it comes to cultural taste, but I do have a hard time understanding people who say they hate the Beatles.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Amanda Marcotte with a strong early contender for dumbest take of the week: http://www.salon.com/2017/05/29/against ... ood-thing/

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
30 May 2017, 12:09pm
Amanda Marcotte with a strong early contender for dumbest take of the week: http://www.salon.com/2017/05/29/against ... ood-thing/
OK, I know she generally sucks, but I kind of agree with some of what she is saying. Part of me thinks she is writing it because it's now in fashion to bash Pepper, but I thought she had some decent points. What am I missing?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
30 May 2017, 12:28pm
OK, I know she generally sucks, but I kind of agree with some of what she is saying. Part of me thinks she is writing it because it's now in fashion to bash Pepper, but I thought she had some decent points. What am I missing?
I don't know a single woman alive, except Amanda Marcotte I guess, who was turned off by that album - either at the time or over the passage of years. And stuff like the album cover being deliberately designed to "repel the female gaze" seems like an awfully giant stretch to me. Also, I guess I have no idea how Marcotte dances, but her assertion that Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is one of the few songs that harkens back to the sound of Beatles dance-pop is a completely insane assertion. Also, the Beatles were never really particularly a dance-pop band, so I have no idea what she's talking about there anyways. She provides basically no evidence that Sgt. Pepper is the album, particularly, that cemented pop/rock as the music of men other than the fact she doesn't care for the cover and critics liked it at the time.

She's making a case ("rock music is often misogynistic and alienating to women") that is pretty much rock solid and going about failing to make her case by picking a particularly non-credible battle to fight ("rock is like this, specifically, because of this album which alienated the Beatles female fanbase"). It takes a special kind of disconnected contrarian hipster to try to make the case that rock is anti-woman, and actually fail at doing it.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

And at the end of the article she admits she's re-litigating a fight she's already won. It's so bizarre.

Pex Lives!