I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2017, 10:24am
Heston wrote:
22 Feb 2017, 10:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2017, 9:56am
Heston wrote:
22 Feb 2017, 9:51am
So I go to my Windows Media Player this morning to find it empty, 10,000 songs gone! I googled the problem and I found you can "Recreate Media Library" in troubleshooting. I applied this fix but only 1,043 songs have come back. The other songs are still on my computer but not showing until I physically play them on the Media Player. Any ideas anyone?
You can't reimport the songs back into the app's catalogue? That is, if the mp3s files are still present, then it's a cataloguing problem, so it should just be a matter of reestablishing them back in the catalogue.
Yeah, I'm trying to figure a way to mass-import them rather than playing each individual song to get it into the library. The problem is the songs are dotted about all over my computer from different sources.
The archivist in me says to move all your music files into one Library folder, but short of that do a computer-wide search for all files ending in .mp3 (and/or .m4a), then import the results into your player.
Ok, I've done this and added them all to a huge playlist. They are now in the Media Player but aren't actually recognised (as bands and songs) in the main library until they are physically played. That's gonna take a long time with 10,000 songs!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 Feb 2017, 11:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
22 Feb 2017, 9:51am
So I go to my Windows Media Player this morning to find it empty, 10,000 songs gone! I googled the problem and I found you can "Recreate Media Library" in troubleshooting. I applied this fix but only 1,043 songs have come back. The other songs are still on my computer but not showing until I physically play them on the Media Player. Any ideas anyone?
You can't reimport the songs back into the app's catalogue? That is, if the mp3s files are still present, then it's a cataloguing problem, so it should just be a matter of reestablishing them back in the catalogue.
Yeah, I'm trying to figure a way to mass-import them rather than playing each individual song to get it into the library. The problem is the songs are dotted about all over my computer from different sources.
The archivist in me says to move all your music files into one Library folder, but short of that do a computer-wide search for all files ending in .mp3 (and/or .m4a), then import the results into your player.
Ok, I've done this and added them all to a huge playlist. They are now in the Media Player but aren't actually recognised (as bands and songs) in the main library until they are physically played. That's gonna take a long time with 10,000 songs!
I'm an iTunes person, so maybe this won't work, but if you select a bunch of tracks and do a Get Info on them, do they then get recognized? If so, select all and Get Info.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2017, 11:11am
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm an iTunes person, so maybe this won't work, but if you select a bunch of tracks and do a Get Info on them, do they then get recognized? If so, select all and Get Info.
It looks like all tracks are starting to get recognised so panic over. Cheers Doc.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 Feb 2017, 3:08pm
It looks like all tracks are starting to get recognised so panic over. Cheers Doc.
Cool. Here's a bonus Swans song for you in celebration:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

:curses1:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

lol
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Also click the WMP button "Find all the misplaced CD's in my car" and they will instantly appear.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Feb 2017, 5:11pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Also click the WMP button "Find all the misplaced CD's in my car" and they will instantly appear.
Haha, if only.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back in February, my external hd that held all my ripped music, movies, and tv shows went splat. Disheartening, but I still had disc copies of almost everything else, so I got a new drive and started the long process of ripping everything again. I finally finished a couple days ago. Now I'm going thru a process of backing up everything onto 50GB blu-ray discs, so that when this drive eventually fails, it'll be easier to restore. I figure it'll be about 70 of those discs and a good three weeks of burning those. Fun and tears with technology, kids.

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2017, 12:08pm
Back in February, my external hd that held all my ripped music, movies, and tv shows went splat. Disheartening, but I still had disc copies of almost everything else, so I got a new drive and started the long process of ripping everything again. I finally finished a couple days ago. Now I'm going thru a process of backing up everything onto 50GB blu-ray discs, so that when this drive eventually fails, it'll be easier to restore. I figure it'll be about 70 of those discs and a good three weeks of burning those. Fun and tears with technology, kids.
Fuck. You'd think archiving would be easier in this day and age. Few people realize how all their optical media is basically on a slow self destruct.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

threecoffins wrote:
26 May 2017, 2:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Fuck. You'd think archiving would be easier in this day and age. Few people realize how all their optical media is basically on a slow self destruct.
The other thing to do is regularly test the hd's health and be ready to copy to a new one as it nears failure. But I don't trust myself to be that responsible.

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2017, 3:39pm
threecoffins wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The other thing to do is regularly test the hd's health and be ready to copy to a new one as it nears failure. But I don't trust myself to be that responsible.
I never have the cash for backup HDs or I would clone my media drive. One day... :disshame:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Say, is anyone here a member of vk.com? It's a Russkie Facebook-esque deal that traffics in file sharing. I've snagged some boots that way when people post links, but others just embed songs that can only be played or dl'd if you're a member. I'd make a bullshit account but it requires an activation code via phone and I'd just as soon not provide that info. So, anyone belong and can share whether I'd be letting Putin into my basement?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

FWIW, the new Firefox Quantum release is great. I've pretty much already totally shifted from Chrome. Clean and super fast. It reminds me of the old days when I gave a shit about having tech opinions.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

threecoffins wrote:
26 May 2017, 3:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2017, 3:39pm
threecoffins wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I never have the cash for backup HDs or I would clone my media drive. One day... :disshame:
This is the way to do it. I have all my music on two 2TB hard drives (one at home, one in the trunk of my car) and an account with Backblaze, which uploads everything to a remote server. If you don't have your data in at least 3 different places, you're tempting fate.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc