May calls June 8 snap election

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: May calls June 8 snap election

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 May 2017, 6:13pm
Sick to my heart to hear we're going to have the army on the streets. It's all fucked. It's all an opportunity in the eternal campaign.
Every terrorist attack ends up being an incremental Ben Tre moment: "We had to destroy the village in order to save it."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I see Labour has closed to five points. To those there, is there a whiff in the air that there's an upset in the making?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2017, 6:25am
I see Labour has closed to five points. To those there, is there a whiff in the air that there's an upset in the making?
It very slightly could be. I think every leftist in the UK is very carefully managing their own optimism to avoid a crushing disappointment. I would have been a quantum more hopeful before the suicide bomber gave the Conservatives an opportunity to look tough in their army boots.

Corbyn was just on the BBC giving his response to the Terror and it speaks of the degradation of centrist discourse that I was so happy to see a mainstream politician who doesn't just go "BOMB THE BROWNS!" and has even the slightest amount of actual nuance to his approach. Almost equally astonished by the massive pushback that talking in a more reality based area recieves from the pragmatic Clever and Sensible commentators.There's still a lot I have to compromise on - the military side, the commitment to hard borders, but they're untouchable in party political discourse - and I just felt elated to see thoughtfulness on the BBC around these issues.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Since TrumpBrexit I take all polls with a pinch of salt, but they're good for forcing a change in the media's narrative when there's a surge like that. Propaganda and good morale for Labour at last. I've been delighted in how Corbyn and his allies have fought this campaign.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 May 2017, 7:08am
Corbyn was just on the BBC giving his response to the Terror and it speaks of the degradation of centrist discourse that I was so happy to see a mainstream politician who doesn't just go "BOMB THE BROWNS!" and has even the slightest amount of actual nuance to his approach. Almost equally astonished by the massive pushback that talking in a more reality based area recieves from the pragmatic Clever and Sensible commentators.There's still a lot I have to compromise on - the military side, the commitment to hard borders, but they're untouchable in party political discourse - and I just felt elated to see thoughtfulness on the BBC around these issues.
I have a faith/hope that we will get to a point where a military/militarized default response will be less effective with the general public as it comes to be associated with an ineffective and frustrating status quo. Less that people suddenly find the critique persuasive than the status quo is seen as wrapped up in and perpetuating the problem itself (i.e., terrorist attacks). Once that is discredited and people become fed up, other options can come into play. It wasn't that student protesters turned public opinion against Vietnam, it was that the strategy of bombing and increasing numbers of troops and promises of victory around the corner proving itself a quagmire. After it was understood that current strategy was an absolute failure, other possibilities, including the peace movement, could be considered.