WHAT'S UP WITH YOU HOSERS, DOC?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

WHAT'S UP WITH YOU HOSERS, DOC?

Post by BostonBeaneater »

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Re: WHAT'S UP WITH YOU HOSERS, DOC?

Post by threecoffins »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 May 2017, 3:15pm
Whatever it is, I've got it bad because I never gave a shit about hockey haha! But seriously I don't know how their attendance is usually, but being geographically sandwiched between hordes of bitter Habs and Leafs fans is probably playing a role.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The arena is like a half hour out of town and, outside of this spring, seemingly most hockey fans here back the Habs.* In the time I've been here, I've never gotten the sense that people give a fuck about the Sens.

* As an extension to that, it's been suggested that Ottawa isn't a sports town because the population largely comes from somewhere else and just don't bond with the teams.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2017, 3:33pm
The arena is like a half hour out of town and, outside of this spring, seemingly most hockey fans here back the Habs.* In the time I've been here, I've never gotten the sense that people give a fuck about the Sens.

* As an extension to that, it's been suggested that Ottawa isn't a sports town because the population largely comes from somewhere else and just don't bond with the teams.
Where are you living now Doc? Ottawa just doesn't have the caché of MTL and TO. People don't pretend to hail from Ottawa.... ever. It's like if you live there you're extra Canadian but you don't belong to the city or something. Also, as capitals go they don't have a cool nickname like Chocolate City.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I'm so glad now that TCR is back, we have doubled our hoser count.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

JennyB wrote:
24 May 2017, 3:45pm
I'm so glad now that TCR is back, we have doubled our hoser count.
I would have come back earlier if I knew you had run so low! :eek:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

threecoffins wrote:
24 May 2017, 3:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Where are you living now Doc? Ottawa just doesn't have the caché of MTL and TO. People don't pretend to hail from Ottawa.... ever. It's like if you live there you're extra Canadian but you don't belong to the city or something. Also, as capitals go they don't have a cool nickname like Chocolate City.
We moved to Ottawa in Dec 09. I like it well enough—lots of green space, not much crime, enough variety to keep things from being boring.

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2017, 3:52pm
threecoffins wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

We moved to Ottawa in Dec 09. I like it well enough—lots of green space, not much crime, enough variety to keep things from being boring.
It's definitely a nice town, it doesn't get its due. Lots of punk kids there, I played a fest there last year.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
threecoffins wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That's a selling point? I like Montreal. It's a place I can buy drugs, hire a North Korean hooker, and smoke in an elevator.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 May 2017, 4:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
threecoffins wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That's a selling point? I like Montreal. It's a place I can buy drugs, hire a North Korean hooker, and smoke in an elevator.
As opposed to lots of crime? Being in my late 40s and someone who walks most places, I'm pretty good with low crime.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I don't know why we waste hockey on Canada, when there's true hockey towns like Tampa Bay and Nashville.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

threecoffins wrote:
24 May 2017, 3:55pm
It's definitely a nice town, it doesn't get its due. Lots of punk kids there, I played a fest there last year.
Shit, well, keep me in mind next time you're in town. It's funny how low-key this place is when you spend any time in TO, Boston, or NYC. Tho friends tell me the place has really grown up in the last couple decades, it is fundamentally a city of civil servants.

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

tepista wrote:
24 May 2017, 4:07pm
I don't know why we waste hockey on Canada, when there's true hockey towns like Tampa Bay and Nashville.
I know right? Canadians might have invented hockey, but Americans are keeping the genre alive. Canadians don't even listen to hockey any more. :shifty:

Dr. Medulla wrote:Shit, well, keep me in mind next time you're in town. It's funny how low-key this place is when you spend any time in TO, Boston, or NYC. Tho friends tell me the place has really grown up in the last couple decades, it is fundamentally a city of civil servants.
I definitely will! Might do some touring in the fall.

BostonBeaneater

I figured out why the world is going to shit:
Abstract
Taking everyone by surprise, poutine—an unpretentious Quebecois dish originally made of fries, cheese curds and brown gravy—found its way onto the Canadian State Dinner menu organized by the White House in March 2016. Drawing on my personal relationship with poutine, this paper intends to expose how poutine has managed to enact a form of social mobility. The tasting experience of poutine is first deconstructed through its taste ‘on the tongue’ and its taste as a dynamic social process, to investigate poutine’s palatability and mainstream appeal. Through this tasting analysis, poutine emerges as a new(er) and distinct way to consume food that is increasingly adopted and adapted. A working definition of poutine as a new dish classification label in its own right (just like sandwiches, dumplings, soups, flatbreads or sushi) is proposed. The social mobility of other foods (e.g. lobster, kimchi, garlic, and sushi) is further explored, before discussing how poutine is also connected to a stigma, which weakens the agency of the Quebecois. Using the social identity theory, it appears that Quebecois youth are dismissing this ‘poutine stigma’ through a revaluing approach, which resembles a reappropriation of poutine, not necessarily linguistically (as seen with ‘black’, ‘queer’, or ‘geek’), but rather in a culinary fashion. Coupling poutine’s sociohistorical stigma and its growing Canadization (that is, the presentation, not the consumption per say, of poutine as a Canadian dish), two related situations—the ongoing process of poutine culinary appropriation and the threat of Quebecois cultural absorption by Canadians—are exposed.
https://www.erudit.org/fr/revues/cuizin ... 1038479ar/

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... demic-says

Christ, look at this douchebag:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Arguments made that posit Quebeckers as grievously mistreated have long been part of Canada's national dialogue. The serious are so intertwined with the slight that I rarely consider any of them anymore.