May calls June 8 snap election

Post by Inder »

RIP Labour.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: May calls June 8 snap election

Post by Heston »

God help us.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'd obviously love it if, Trump style, Labour surprise everybody and fuck the polls. I give it 10%.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 6:30am
I'd obviously love it if, Trump style, Labour surprise everybody and fuck the polls. I give it 10%.
One can only hope that conventional wisdom is still too in flux and that some kind of populist swell is still possible. Run left, Jeremy, be bold.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Do you guys just have elections whenever you feel like?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 10:20am
In a parliamentary system, the head of govt (the PM) can, at any time, tell the head of state (the queen) that circumstances have changed significantly since the last election that it requires that the people elect a new government to ensure a proper mandate. That's it officially, anyway. The head of state doesn't have to call an election—she could ask the leader of the opposition if he could try to form a government based on the current make up of parliament—but it's normally not done. Governments manipulate the system all the time to call elections when they're most beneficial. Not too long ago, Canada put in place fixed election dates to prevent that, but the fear is that it's going to result in the American style of permanent campaigning between elections.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

I believe the UK is supposed to be on fixed term parliaments too now. But May does like acting like a medieval king.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 11:39am
I believe the UK is supposed to be on fixed term parliaments too now. But May does like acting like a medieval king.
Harper was the one who passed that and was the first one to break it, turning his minority into a majority. The run up to the last election, knowing the date so in advance, resulted in a long, ugly campaign.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

They can bypass the fixed date legislation with the support of 2/3rds of the house. You cannot bypass the fixed date legislation with a 52-48 vote...

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 10:39am
matedog wrote:
In a parliamentary system, the head of govt (the PM) can, at any time, tell the head of state (the queen) that circumstances have changed significantly since the last election that it requires that the people elect a new government to ensure a proper mandate. That's it officially, anyway. The head of state doesn't have to call an election—she could ask the leader of the opposition if he could try to form a government based on the current make up of parliament—but it's normally not done. Governments manipulate the system all the time to call elections when they're most beneficial. Not too long ago, Canada put in place fixed election dates to prevent that, but the fear is that it's going to result in the American style of permanent campaigning between elections.
That seems remarkably arbitrary.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 1:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 10:39am
matedog wrote:
That seems remarkably arbitrary.
Buried in there is the belief that only the finest of character rise to the level of serving in Parliament, and the best of those as prime minister, so surely such a system would never be abused for partisan advantage, wot wot!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

It really is as simple as this...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

* Note: Applies to any nation, province, state, or territory.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Would love it if the SNP/Labour/Lib Dems would coalition together. Just get the fucking Tories out. Even if the Lib Dem leader is a pro-choice fundamentalist homophobe who I want to see be forced to admit his earlier comments about gayness being a sin. That's literally a better alternative.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Sick to my heart to hear we're going to have the army on the streets. It's all fucked. It's all an opportunity in the eternal campaign.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/