"Over Vauxhall Bridge and via Pimlico..."

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

"Over Vauxhall Bridge and via Pimlico..."

Post by MarkyJacobs »

As someone who has lived a sizeable chunk of my adult life in London, I am slightly embarrassed that it took me so long.

But, on Friday, for the very first time (at least knowingly), I took the fabled route "over Vauxhall Bridge and via Pimlico".

Someone on one of these forums once pointed out that, if you were chasing the coppers out of Ladbroke Grove, you would actually go via Pimlico and then over Vauxhall Bridge.

Alas, I wasn't.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: "Over Vauxhall Bridge and via Pimlico..."

Post by Heston »

Which begs the question, has anyone ever had cow foot curry?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
15 May 2017, 10:31am
As someone who has lived a sizeable chunk of my adult life in London, I am slightly embarrassed that it took me so long.

But, on Friday, for the very first time (at least knowingly), I took the fabled route "over Vauxhall Bridge and via Pimlico".

Someone on one of these forums once pointed out that, if you were chasing the coppers out of Ladbroke Grove, you would actually go via Pimlico and then over Vauxhall Bridge.

Alas, I wasn't.
Actually it is correct. You would go from All Saints Road and through Pimlico to get to Vauxhall Bridge therefore you would go over Vauxhall Bridge and via Pimlico (although you don't need the 'and' but helps the lyrics).
Having said that that is a long way across central London to get there from A S Road. If you wanted to cross the river Hammersmith Bridge is a hell of a lot closer.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

If you were chasing coppers you wouldn't necessarily want to chase them over the nearest bridge. ;)

I've not had cow foot curry, but I do remember having a conversation with an elderly West Indian lady about cooking with said animal parts. I'm sure the song would have been on my mind.

Another time, I found myself having a drink and a smoke with a couple of newly befriended Rastas outside the Pelican (I think), off Portobello Road. Stuck between the two of them, and in good spirits, I piped up, "A couple of years ago down Ladbroke Grove..." To my surprise, they totally understood the reference.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I've walked over the Hammersmith Bridge on the way back to Ladbroke Grove several times with Mick, but not the Vauxhall. Maybe Don wrote that bit!

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

When London's black youth actually did give the coppers the run-around a few years back, good songwriting on the subject was conspicuous by its absence.

Discuss?

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

There are actually five bridges between Hammersmith Bridge and Vauxhall Bridge.

Over Hammersmith Bridge and via Hammersmith might not have sounded good?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
16 May 2017, 5:29am
When London's black youth actually did give the coppers the run-around a few years back, good songwriting on the subject was conspicuous by its absence.

Discuss?
In rock music, yes. It was very present in London's grime scene. A real defining cultural moment. You can't really expect a sixty year old genre to be where the working class youth express themselves. The Sex Pistols left the barrelhouse piano of music hall and ragtime banjo well alone.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Silent Majority wrote:
16 May 2017, 8:24am
In rock music, yes. It was very present in London's grime scene. A real defining cultural moment. You can't really expect a sixty year old genre to be where the working class youth express themselves. The Sex Pistols left the barrelhouse piano of music hall and ragtime banjo well alone.
My post-BAD listening has not been particularly rock-centric. Nevertheless I did fear I might have been looking in the wrong places. Any pointers for me?

The Clash and BAD's civil disorder stylings were perhaps highly romanticised.

I heard a post-riots interview with Mick in which he said something like: "They had all that power, and all they wanted to do was rob Footlocker." He was, of course, spot on.

I remember myself being quite relieved when things calmed down. As someone who has always considered myself quite anti-establishment, part of me felt slightly embarrassed to be thinking in this way.

The Sex Pistols are busy celebrating Trump and Farage as saviours of the working class, are they not?
Last edited by MarkyJacobs on 16 May 2017, 6:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
16 May 2017, 5:37am
There are actually five bridges between Hammersmith Bridge and Vauxhall Bridge.

Over Hammersmith Bridge and via Hammersmith might not have sounded good?
Over Hammersmith Bridge and via Shepherds Bush Road?

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

101Walterton wrote:
16 May 2017, 3:24pm
Over Hammersmith Bridge and via Shepherds Bush Road?
Personally, I don't think we need involve firearms...

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

What a great song though. Shame it has those rinky dink drums and such a dry sound. The live performances show it coulda been a contender.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
16 May 2017, 11:05am
Silent Majority wrote:
16 May 2017, 8:24am
My post-BAD listening has not been particularly rock-centric. Nevertheless I did fear I might have been looking in the wrong places. Any pointers for me?

The Clash and BAD's civil disorder stylings were perhaps highly romanticised.

I heard a post-riots interview with Mick in which he said something like: "They had all that power, and all they wanted to do was rob Footlocker." He was, of course, spot on.

I remember myself being quite relieved when things calmed down. As someone who has always considered myself quite anti-establishment, part of me felt slightly embarrassed to be thinking in this way.

The Sex Pistols are busy celebrating Trump and Farage as saviours of the working class, are they not?
Lydon was but one member. So no.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
16 May 2017, 11:05am
MJ is a multi-millionaire white rock star who lives in one of the most expensive parts of one of the most expensive cities in the world. If he said that, or something along those lines, then that's really disappointing.

'They don't mind throwing a brick,' ffs.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2017, 6:57pm
Lydon was but one member.
Yes, the voice.