Recutting the Crap: 2017 Record Store Day Exclusive

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Re: Recutting the Crap: 2017 Record Store Day Exclusive

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

April 22nd is RSD. Who's getting this tomorrow?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
21 Apr 2017, 7:45pm
More so: You're damn well expected to rip and upload for the peanut gallery.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I wasn't able to get one in at my old store, but am in Denver tomorrow morning so will snag a copy if I can find one.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2017, 8:00pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
21 Apr 2017, 7:45pm
More so: You're damn well expected to rip and upload for the peanut gallery.
I was hoping someone else would do that. I don't play vinyl anymore. I'd get it if it had a download card.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
21 Apr 2017, 8:06pm
I wasn't able to get one in at my old store, but am in Denver tomorrow morning so will snag a copy if I can find one.
I think I speak for everyone when I say, Don't bother showing your face here if you fail.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

I failed at getting the "Recutting the Crap." My local record store didn't get any of the 3 items I was looking for and the EBay prices are already steep.
No Recutting the Crap
No "White Man in Hammersmith Palais
and No Walter Lure and the Waldos Live in Brooklyn

Sorry

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I'm strangely intrigued by this re cutting, it all sounds like the same band and with a casual listen sounds better than the original, though that's not hard to do. Somewhere down the line we must break into the vault and get the multitracks and remix this ourselves.

Flex

Post by Flex »

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The ecstasy in your face is infectious. Like cholera. Regardless, you're the hero of 2017.

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

How early did you have to get up to stand in line?
This RSD is getting crazier every year!

Flex

Post by Flex »

JChampion wrote:
22 Apr 2017, 5:17pm
How early did you have to get up to stand in line?
This RSD is getting crazier every year!
My local record store came through at the last minute and got a cop in. Didn't waltz in until around 12:30 and snagged a copy (plus a ton of other stuff I hadn' necessarily been planning on buying, but oh well).

I cannot emphasized enough how dodgy this album is. Listening to it now. So far... one song has been what I would call "decent."

I should point out it's available to stream and/or purchase on Bandcamp:

So I probably won't upload the album here, since that feels wrong (and you can listen to it free there).

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Initial reactions:

There are a handful of fun/interesting interpretations - and the whole thing feels very sincere. Standouts for me so far are The Violets' Cool Under Heat, Dom Casual's Sex Mad War, Basenji's Dirty Punk and Don Zientara's* Galleani (the last one largely because it's reworked into a singer/songwriter type piece that mostly works). A few of the tracks have really, reall off vocals. I can't tell if that's supposed to be purposely capturing the spirit of the original album, or just because some of these contributions are pretty amateurish. The front half of the tribute, generally, has the stronger songs from the better-established bands (from what I can tell), while the second half seems given to bands without any other real credits to their name (Zientara aside) and generally is less straight-ahead punk (or punk adjacent) music and more "experimental". Which, sure, whatever.

Individually, nothing is as bad as the worst stuff on the original album, but I'm not sure what cuts really tower above the originals either. Generally, the strongest covers were the strongest cuts from the O.G. anyhow.

I'd like to see a competent punk band do a straight-ahead street punk approach (with maybe some ska affectations where appropriate) with these songs. Actually do what Joe and Bernie claimed they were going to do originally. I think that would be a fun listen.

The LP notes are delightfully insane, tho. I'll try to get a decent photo and upload.

*Yes, THAT Don Zientara. Of Inner Ear Studios production fame.

Pex Lives!

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

I gave it a listen through. Very underwelming. I'm kinda glad I missed the boat on this release.
Now I really wish I had gotten the Walter Lure & The Waldos - Live in Brooklyn. I know I would have loved that.
I just didn't have the desire to fight the crowds at the larger independent record store 30 minutes away. The little shop was only 5 minutes away but got very little in.
I picked my poison and lost. Oh, well.:smile:

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

]Initial reactions:

There are a handful of fun/interesting interpretations - and the whole thing feels very sincere. Standouts for me so far are The Violets' Cool Under Heat, Dom Casual's Sex Mad War, Basenji's Dirty Punk and Don Zientara's* Galleani (the last one largely because it's reworked into a singer/songwriter type piece that mostly works). A few of the tracks have really, reall off vocals. I can't tell if that's supposed to be purposely capturing the spirit of the original album, or just because some of these contributions are pretty amateurish. The front half of the tribute, generally, has the stronger songs from the better-established bands (from what I can tell), while the second half seems given to bands without any other real credits to their name (Zientara aside) and generally is less straight-ahead punk (or punk adjacent) music and more "experimental". Which, sure, whatever.

Individually, nothing is as bad as the worst stuff on the original album, but I'm not sure what cuts really tower above the originals either. Generally, the strongest covers were the strongest cuts from the O.G. anyhow.

I'd like to see a competent punk band do a straight-ahead street punk approach (with maybe some ska affectations where appropriate) with these songs. Actually do what Joe and Bernie claimed they were going to do originally. I think that would be a fun listen.

The LP notes are delightfully insane, tho. I'll try to get a decent photo and upload.

*Yes, THAT Don Zientara. Of Inner Ear Studios production fame.
Agreed on all counts....based on my tour of the Soundcloud snippets. Not having much cash on me this weekend, I can't do a whole heck of a lot more, I'm afraid. :mrgreen:

I liked Zientara's contribution best, actually, followed by the Violets and Dom Casuals stuff. I thought Too Much Joy's take on We Are The Clash was pretty solid, too.

My overriding thought was just how Jeeves-ian many of the vocals sounded -- I think if they'd done a couple more takes on some of them, they might have nailed some of those songs a little bit better.

There were some weird lyric changes, too, in a few places (though, given how many variations have been posted, and debated here, that's not a huge deal). Overall, even if I had the cash, I probably wouldn't get this one, because there's only a handful of tracks I'd play more than a few times before filing it away.
I gave it a listen through. Very underwelming. I'm kinda glad I missed the boat on this release.

Now I really wish I had gotten the Walter Lure & The Waldos - Live in Brooklyn. I know I would have loved that.
Yeah, that one sounds exciting, by far, being a big JT/HB/offshoots fan, myself. I personally wish Lure would come to Chicago, instead of just playing the East and West Coasts exclusively, as he seems to do. But that's above my pay grade to ask for, I suppose. :mrgreen:

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Saw 2 copies at Amoeba Berkeley. Got one (#125 of 1000). I wouldn't be surprised if the other copy (#126) is still there. I don't think anyone else really knew about it.