Police Misconduct: Tracked

Politics and other such topical creams.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:Would someone please call the police to come and shoot this child?

NYC c. 1980s
https://dudo6el28sqqp.cloudfront.net/go ... llery.jpeg
It's funny, whenever there's a police shooting of kids with toy guns, I think of all the cap guns I had as a kid. Realistic enough looking, I suppose. In today's climate, would cops be as fine with me and my friends running around the neighbourhood with guns drawn?
I got in an interesting discussion with my coworker after this went down: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Andy_Lopez
Basically a 13-year old was carrying an AK-47 replica. Cop pulls up, sounds siren, the kid turns around and apparently raises the weapon, they shoot him.

My initial thought was, if you are a cop and someone is carrying something that really looks like a real gun, obeys orders/warnings and raises at the cop, I don't really see any other option. Coworker brought up a good point. If you are in a sleepy suburb and see a kid with what looks like an AK-47, you need to use some critical thinking and think about the odds that a kid in a suburb is walking around in the middle of the day with a real assault rifle.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:Would someone please call the police to come and shoot this child?

NYC c. 1980s
https://dudo6el28sqqp.cloudfront.net/go ... llery.jpeg
It's funny, whenever there's a police shooting of kids with toy guns, I think of all the cap guns I had as a kid. Realistic enough looking, I suppose. In today's climate, would cops be as fine with me and my friends running around the neighbourhood with guns drawn?
I got in an interesting discussion with my coworker after this went down: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Andy_Lopez
Basically a 13-year old was carrying an AK-47 replica. Cop pulls up, sounds siren, the kid turns around and apparently raises the weapon, they shoot him.

My initial thought was, if you are a cop and someone is carrying something that really looks like a real gun, obeys orders/warnings and raises at the cop, I don't really see any other option. Coworker brought up a good point. If you are in a sleepy suburb and see a kid with what looks like an AK-47, you need to use some critical thinking and think about the odds that a kid in a suburb is walking around in the middle of the day with a real assault rifle.
Which goes back to the question of training. Police training has evolved to treat public space as a potential war zone—i.e., enemy combatants and civilians—and so the instilled instinctive response is lethal force. Zero tolerance, as others have observed, means not having to think, merely react. Highly recommend Radley Balko (is that his name?), Rise of the Warrior Cop. He's a libertarian critic of police abuse and does a good job tracing the incremental change in police mission and corresponding tactics.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I only read it for the pictorials of cops beating the shit out of immigrants.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

This entire twitter thread.

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Elected county sheriffs: the micropenii of the totalitarian state. :rolleyes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/flo ... 91864db?wn&

BostonBeaneater

I'm done. This country can go fuck itself. I hope Trump drives it right into the dirt.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 1:17pm
I'm done. This country can go fuck itself. I hope Trump drives it right into the dirt.

Jesus Fuck!!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Good christ.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

So someone said there was a group of kids and one had a revolver and the cop sees a group of kids with the clothing match. Given they expect someone to have a gun, this doesn't seem particularly egregious. What am I missing? Other than yeah, pointing a gun at a bunch of kids is awful given they got the wrong group.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BostonBeaneater

matedog wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 3:12pm
So someone said there was a group of kids and one had a revolver and the cop sees a group of kids with the clothing match. Given they expect someone to have a gun, this doesn't seem particularly egregious. What am I missing? Other than yeah, pointing a gun at a bunch of kids is awful given they got the wrong group.
You would never ever see this happen if those kids were white. That's a stone cold fact.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Cop fired for not shooting suicidal black man (don't worry: other cop shot the guy).

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as- ... -1.4108297

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I just saw the Philo video, my soul is broken. :cry:
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

BostonBeaneater

tepista wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 11:10pm
I just saw the Philo video, my soul is broken. :cry:
It's horrific and straight evil. Where's the NRA to defend a lawful firearm owner?