If there's a better live version of any BAD song than this...

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: If there's a better live version of any BAD song than this...

Post by bazarboy75 »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
01 Apr 2017, 4:57pm
That is the one i was thinking of thanks BBoy . Its probably the best version around but its a bootleg and not studio unfortunately
Yes i see what you mean
It's after listened to my first BAD boot (edinburgh 1988, crappy sound but cool performance) that i really get into the LPs
and at the time it was very early 90's.... So now the 80's sound is much much dated than is was at the time...

BAD should put ou there a double DVD
with Don in the band video is very underrated in BAD history which a shame if you think about it
I'm pretty sure he got plenty of unseens footage of rehearsal and live stuff
i understood that, at the time, the band were really independant,
They gave to sony the album totally finished
it's a pretty damn cool approach,
very "punk ethik"
there is surely a cool story to tell (for a double dvd)

But the fact is the band was/is not a great seller

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

bazarboy75 wrote:
01 Apr 2017, 5:19pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
01 Apr 2017, 4:57pm
That is the one i was thinking of thanks BBoy . Its probably the best version around but its a bootleg and not studio unfortunately
Yes i see what you mean
It's after listened to my first BAD boot (edinburgh 1988, crappy sound but cool performance) that i really get into the LPs
and at the time it was very early 90's.... So now the 80's sound is much much dated than is was at the time...

BAD should put ou there a double DVD
with Don in the band video is very underrated in BAD history which a shame if you think about it
I'm pretty sure he got plenty of unseens footage of rehearsal and live stuff
i understood that, at the time, the band were really independant,
They gave to sony the album totally finished
it's a pretty damn cool approach,
very "punk ethik"
there is surely a cool story to tell (for a double dvd)

But the fact is the band was/is not a great seller
I think the poor support for the band came from bad career decisions and missed opportunities but then again that does add the exclusiveness and mystery behind the band for us that do like them. Its a shame though that the poor commerciality means we miss out though on new albums and live recordings.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I will never understand how songs like V13 and Other 99 weren't bigger hits.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 5:55am
I will never understand how songs like V13 and Other 99 weren't bigger hits.
I agree V13 is a puzzler as that is such a good song. Couple of reasons will be after the first album the Upping album took a massive 90 degree turn as being different to the first albums successes. Bands like Oasis that make it very big commercially take advantage of there past successes and jump on the similar styles of song writing . Music media, the general public need something to get a hold of they need a label to understand and a kind of following to be apart of something, changing styles too much gets confusing. This isnt a critism from me but just an observation i think the second album is great.

That apart V13 does have this similar vein to it and very likeable song. I think it went like this Beatbox comes out first and was a successful single due to the fact that the album wasn't out yet when the single was released. With the Album being released this didn't help the sales of V13 as most people may of bought the album rather than buy the single. Additionally a weaker version of V13 on the album would not have done much to grow the popularity of the band for new fans, a new mix was a good idea a poorer version on the album wasn't. My first reaction to the album was how different it was and i knew it would take a few listens to get what it was all about. New fans wouldnt give it so much of a chance.

Other 99 being a good song wasnt a good choice of a single for that album. It was obvious that it should have been Applecart or Mr Walker both being similar sounding to E=MC2 sounding with a driving beat and very catchy tunes. Other 99 was bad decision.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Actually just looked up chart positions and V13 did better than Beatbox which is surprising to me as Beatbox was played on the radio so much more than V13 ever was and had much more promotion which makes me think V13 should have been the first single seeing as it was far the better song. I could say another bad decision but they got the two singles right off that album maybe Beyond the Palais should of got a chance too.

Heston

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 7:12am
Actually just looked up chart positions and V13 did better than Beatbox which is surprising to me as Beatbox was played on the radio so much more than V13 ever was and had much more promotion which makes me think V13 should have been the first single seeing as it was far the better song. I could say another bad decision but they got the two singles right off that album maybe Beyond the Palais should of got a chance too.
There was actually three singles from Upping, Sightsee MC didn't chart.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 7:40am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 7:12am
There was actually three singles from Upping, Sightsee MC didn't chart.
It didnt get any radio play either. Then again there wasnt any real contenders for a hit on that album except for V13.Maybe Beyond the Pale if it was remixed better but thats an acquired taste too. I do remember hearing that song on the first tour and i instantly liked it and always have done.to this day.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 8:10am
Maybe Beyond the Pale if it was remixed better but thats an acquired taste too. I do remember hearing that song on the first tour and i instantly liked it and always have done.to this day.
First time i heard Beyond the pale 2 things came to mind
1 catchy tune
2 what a pure Fm guitar solo (which was a bit of an insult for me at the time. )

But it could be a good choice to picked up for a single because is more batt/bass/guitar vibe/spirit/whatever

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

This thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent, but didn't BAD suffer from constant comparison with The Clash?

Beatbox, V13 and Sightsee MC were all strong singles. But loads of great records do not achieve commercial success. I haven't had any idea about what's in the charts for over twenty-five years.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 8:52am
This thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent, but didn't BAD suffer from constant comparison with The Clash?
You're right
But didn't sony (or CBS at the beginning ??) tried the card "BAD the post Clash Mick Jones project" promo ??
And Mick didn't want to play this, and proposed BAD as a "Band project"
and this way didn't played the sony's game ??
and after the 1st LP effect (most of all the E=mc2 biggest hit) Bad became less and less in the "papers" of Sony (which surely was busy with tears for fears Madonna and whatever the 80's done) ??

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

About Stone Thames there is this MAdrid version from 1987 which is pretty good too
Punk/Funk/Fun

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

MarkyJacobs wrote:

Beatbox, V13 and Sightsee MC were all strong singles. But loads of great records do not achieve commercial success. I haven't had any idea about what's in the charts for over twenty-five years.
I think this is spot on. The anomaly was the first album achieving some real degree of real commercial success (which was not directly tied to the Clash connection) and that was really all down to E=mc2. My recollection is that the first single (The Bottom Line) did very little and there was almost no commercial buzz until E=mc2. Remember this was 85/87 not 79/80, and the chances of Beatbox, V13 being commercial 'hits' were slim to none.

Heston

Post by Heston »

drowninghere wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 3:58pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:

I think this is spot on. The anomaly was the first album achieving some real degree of real commercial success (which was not directly tied to the Clash connection) and that was really all down to E=mc2. My recollection is that the first single (The Bottom Line) did very little and there was almost no commercial buzz until E=mc2. Remember this was 85/87 not 79/80, and the chances of Beatbox, V13 being commercial 'hits' were slim to none.
I think that's underestimating how good V13 is. With airplay I think it would have easily made the top 20. Zammo from Grange Hill gave it a great review in Smash Hits.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Heston wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 6:46pm
drowninghere wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 3:58pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:

I think that's underestimating how good V13 is. With airplay I think it would have easily made the top 20. Zammo from Grange Hill gave it a great review in Smash Hits.
Its my favourite BAD song and its certainly worthy of every success - I just don't think the charts were particularly receptive to bands like BAD (or 'alternative' music in general) in '87.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

Found this in my archive and uploaded it right away !

Mick Said first BAD live radio
Probably 1986
Any information welcome

Anyway
In Mick's career it's not often that we got great performance and sound
Those 3 tracks got really A+ sound and the performance is really cool too
Enjoy
and share in your network let the world know hom BAD was COOL !