Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 1:54pm
Silent Majority wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 1:47pm
I think the Pistols 100% revelled in ideology and political ideas and John's softened and confused attitude to authority and bigoted, powerful wankers like Farage and Trump is a big step away from the ideas that he infused into what would have been a fun and simple rock n roll band without him.
Yeah I wonder just how many real anarchist became as such after hearing the Sex Pistols. Or how many anti royalist only exist because of hearing the Sex Pistols. You are giving those songs way to much thought.

Now if we were talking about Crass you might have a point.
I never thought the Pistols were anarchists. A left leaning band of outlaws was the most starry eyed I got when considering the band when I was a teenager. But Lydon's curious, questioning nature, rage at what was wrong in the world around him and straight up protest songs like God Save the Queen were the thrilling part of a rock n roll band that hinted at a whole other world beyond the mundane. The writer of Bodies is considering a difficult issue from a number of points and is enjoying his own subversive pose. Lydon 2017 seems to have lost the ability to consider in any real terms and has frankly become an apologist for racists and fascists. Just as he can hold any position his sodden, rich brain likes, I think we can feel disappointed at the devolution of the thinking of some body who was once extremely inspiring to us. If the Pistols records didn't have any of the attitude and counter cultural positioning that first compelled me, they'd be dull as dishwater.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Mimi wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 3:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 2:06pm
Flex wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 1:57pm
I know they weren't actually anarchists, but I think their music was still politically motivated in at least one dimension. If it was all an act, it was a compelling enough act that there was/is value in taking that dimension of their music seriously (if not literally).
I know plenty who bought their records and I personally don't know one single person who bought into any agitprop version of the Sex Pistols as some kind political force. They changed music and fashion greatly but no one's political view. They were pop songs not political manifestos.
Maybe the UK was different, but I get a sense that over here they were considered more political than not. Pop or not, AitUK is a strong message to a young mind. At my age now, I see what you're saying. Teenage me thought very differently, though.
I could clearly see why in the US they may well be considered that way. "Anarchy in the UK" is very different to Blitzkrieg Bop. I've never once thought about destroying the passer-by. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 3:26pm
Mimi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
I know they weren't actually anarchists, but I think their music was still politically motivated in at least one dimension. If it was all an act, it was a compelling enough act that there was/is value in taking that dimension of their music seriously (if not literally).
I know plenty who bought their records and I personally don't know one single person who bought into any agitprop version of the Sex Pistols as some kind political force. They changed music and fashion greatly but no one's political view. They were pop songs not political manifestos.
Maybe the UK was different, but I get a sense that over here they were considered more political than not. Pop or not, AitUK is a strong message to a young mind. At my age now, I see what you're saying. Teenage me thought very differently, though.
I could clearly see why in the US they may well be considered that way. "Anarchy in the UK" is very different to Blitzkrieg Bop. I've never once thought about destroying the passer-by. ;)
What?! Turn your punk card in now, you SRP. lol

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 3:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 1:54pm
Silent Majority wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 1:47pm
I think the Pistols 100% revelled in ideology and political ideas and John's softened and confused attitude to authority and bigoted, powerful wankers like Farage and Trump is a big step away from the ideas that he infused into what would have been a fun and simple rock n roll band without him.
Yeah I wonder just how many real anarchist became as such after hearing the Sex Pistols. Or how many anti royalist only exist because of hearing the Sex Pistols. You are giving those songs way to much thought.

Now if we were talking about Crass you might have a point.
I never thought the Pistols were anarchists. A left leaning band of outlaws was the most starry eyed I got when considering the band when I was a teenager. But Lydon's curious, questioning nature, rage at what was wrong in the world around him and straight up protest songs like God Save the Queen were the thrilling part of a rock n roll band that hinted at a whole other world beyond the mundane. The writer of Bodies is considering a difficult issue from a number of points and is enjoying his own subversive pose. Lydon 2017 seems to have lost the ability to consider in any real terms and has frankly become an apologist for racists and fascists. Just as he can hold any position his sodden, rich brain likes, I think we can feel disappointed at the devolution of the thinking of some body who was once extremely inspiring to us. If the Pistols records didn't have any of the attitude and counter cultural positioning that first compelled me, they'd be dull as dishwater.
Rotten took aim at those who were considered untouchable like the Royals or a big conglomerate like E.M.I. They were just pot shots from his pen. I doubt even he thought he could really change any political landscape. As for John now his contrary act does wear really thin at times. In that interview that Flex posted he seems just to be delighted at Farage for having a go at Bob Geldof as to what Farage actually stands for. Personally when I see shit like that I take it with a pinch of salt. To suggest that he knows that Trump is not a racist is about as stupid as he can be, just try telling the Mexicans who Trump wants to divide by a huge wall. Yeah John ...please don't be waiting for me.

Regarding the song "Bodies" that's quite a difficult one really. Rotten does not suggest he's pro or anti abortion in his lyric. I remember an interview he gave where he stated "I don''t think any man has the right to tell a woman what she should and shouldn't do with her body". Interestingly the song was originally called "Body". The song was a sad observation of Pauline who frequented Pistols gigs with her dead foetus in a carrier bag. She did live in a tree house at a mental institution.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 27 Mar 2017, 3:49pm, edited 4 times in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Mimi wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 3:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
SRP Softie (non) Rebellious Punk.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 3:36pm
Mimi wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 3:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

SRP Softie (non) Rebellious Punk.
:lol: :lol:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

God Save the Queen may just be the anti political song.stating that british politics had failed and we were facing no future if we continue down the same old path. Suggesting we have all become morons in England's dreaming. A reality check.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dunster
Dirty Punk

Post by Dunster »

Rotten was simply promoting his new song book. He said he was with the working class (knowing he is no longer really one of them). You see, Brexit and the the break of the EU is a response to the poor (working class) getting shafted. The EU experiment has caused a great deal of poverty in the poorer states.

Champagne Clash Fans just can't see outside their own bubble. :mrgreen:

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dunster wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 6:32pm
Rotten was simply promoting his new song book. He said he was with the working class (knowing he is no longer really one of them). You see, Brexit and the the break of the EU is a response to the poor (working class) getting shafted. The EU experiment has caused a great deal of poverty in the poorer states.

Mate, I make minimum wage.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I don't know what the rates are in England, but in the US most working class people don't vote. So saying he's with the working class on one hand, and then praising Trump, doesn't fit. If he was accurately reflecting the working class, he'd reject all of it. But he's a rich, fat fuck so he doesn't know what the fuck he's on about.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dunster wrote:

John is so working class that he's priced that book so fucking high that it's cheaper to get a mortgage. 😐

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 6:36pm
I don't know what the rates are in England, but in the US most working class people don't vote. So saying he's with the working class on one hand, and then praising Trump, doesn't fit. If he was accurately reflecting the working class, he'd reject all of it. But he's a rich, fat fuck so he doesn't know what the fuck he's on about.
I don't really know how the class system works in the US and I'm probably nieve in thinking it's similar to the UK?

But hasn't Trump given a voice to those who don't usually bother to vote because they believe nobody really represented them before. This appears to me to be what Clinton underestimated and gave Trump the upper hand. Is this correct Flex?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dunster wrote:

Please stop posting here you simply don't belong. This board is for the wealthy only you peasant. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dunster
Dirty Punk

Post by Dunster »

Silent Majority wrote:
Well you have great taste in music. I would encourage everyone to question their own ideas and where they came from. Nearly 100% of the time they are someone else's ideas that you adopted for some reason or another. Original thoughts are very rare indeed.

Johnny Rotten is right that Farage and Trump are in some form a new anti-establishment. My logic is that EU is a step towards global government and then tyranny. Big government with a central office in Brussels does not work in Europe.

The EU was formed in response to the structure of the USA. The upper echelon EUers had a great big boner about how successful the USA model seemed to work and wanted their own "Megacountry". The best model is smaller units government that solve problems locally and these small units of governments have competition among themselves.

The Swiss model gives some hints:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Lydon has always been first and foremost someone who likes to get a rise out of people and preferably while being in the spotlight.