27 Mar 2017, 1:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 1:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 1:06pm
Silent Majority wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 12:43pm
Lydon: Theresa May, what a babe.
I shudder to think what he'd say about Thatcher now. If a person can speak warmly of Trump, there's no reason not to applaud her own bust-it-all-up, stick-to-principles character.
He spoke about her when she died. Saying he wouldn't speak ill of the dead. Pretty much the same stance he took when McLaren died. I wonder why anyone cares though really. It's like he meant something other than being a great vocalist to people. He was never a politician and the closest song the Pistols released as a poltical song was "Liar". If people think AitUK and GStQ were political then they really missed the point.
I guess I and most everyone else missed the point then. Invoking anarchy, fascism, the Berlin Wall etc certainly signals that this ain't your average pop song. If you don't want to treat Lydon or his music as political, you're certainly free to do so; audiences get to shape the music, too. But to suggest that everyone else has been just plain wrong when they see the ideological thrust in it is a distinctly minority position.
I've never seen the Sex Pistols as a political group. Rotten/Lydon was never an anarchist . GStQ was just a fun song taking aim at a lofty target because no one else really dared at the time. As for Holidays in the Sun the band went to Berlin to escape problems here in th UK and so it proved inspiration for his lyrics.

I'm happy to be in a minority. You can read into those lyrics as much as you like but the Sex Pistols were a fun rock n roll band not a political ideology.
I

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Silent Majority »

I think the Pistols 100% revelled in ideology and political ideas and John's softened and confused attitude to authority and bigoted, powerful wankers like Farage and Trump is a big step away from the ideas that he infused into what would have been a fun and simple rock n roll band without him.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 1:47pm
I think the Pistols 100% revelled in ideology and political ideas and John's softened and confused attitude to authority and bigoted, powerful wankers like Farage and Trump is a big step away from the ideas that he infused into what would have been a fun and simple rock n roll band without him.
Yeah I wonder just how many real anarchist became as such after hearing the Sex Pistols. Or how many anti royalist only exist because of hearing the Sex Pistols. You are giving those songs way to much thought.

Now if we were talking about Crass you might have a point.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I know they weren't actually anarchists, but I think their music was still politically motivated in at least one dimension. If it was all an act, it was a compelling enough act that there was/is value in taking that dimension of their music seriously (if not literally).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 1:57pm
I know they weren't actually anarchists, but I think their music was still politically motivated in at least one dimension. If it was all an act, it was a compelling enough act that there was/is value in taking that dimension of their music seriously (if not literally).
I know plenty who bought their records and I personally don't know one single person who bought into any agitprop version of the Sex Pistols as some kind political force. They changed music and fashion greatly but no one's political view. They were pop songs not political manifestos.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 2:06pm
Flex wrote:
I know plenty who bought their records and I personally don't know one single person who bought into any agitprop version of the Sex Pistols as some kind political force. They changed music and fashion greatly but no one's political view. They were pop songs not political manifestos.
Fucking he'll McLaren saw them as a tough version of the Bay City Rollers and wanted them to compete with Cliff Richard. Musical anarchy people come on get real.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
To you, certainly. Isn't it rather arrogant to deny how other people have interpreted the music, what they've done with it? Am I a complete moron for having had my political views altered by discovering Pistols and punk? If you want to regard them that way, no one is going to say you're wrong for enjoying them on your own terms, as non-political pop. But to say that thousands of fans and writers are all, well, thick is pretty nasty.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
Without wanting to come off as piling on, I'll add to Doc's points that Lydon himself invites this comparison by opining on political matters. Engaging in political commentary invites comparison to the body of his public work, which conveniently engaged in a lot of politic rhetoric (completely insincere rhetoric, by your reckoning).

I think, straightforwardly, that Lydon was making political statements in the 70s and he's making them today, and it's odd not to naturally compare the two.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 2:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
To you, certainly. Isn't it rather arrogant to deny how other people have interpreted the music, what they've done with it? Am I a complete moron for having had my political views altered by discovering Pistols and punk? If you want to regard them that way, no one is going to say you're wrong for enjoying them on your own terms, as non-political pop. But to say that thousands of fans and writers are all, well, thick is pretty nasty.
First of all I called no one a moron. Secondly this discussion is about the Sex Pistols and not "punk". And who made you the spokesperson for thousands of fans. You speak for you as I for myself. You can view the Sex Pistols however you see fit. I have no problem with you viewing the Pistols as some political force if you like. I just don't agree is all.

I did have my political view changed by punk but that was not by the Sex Pistols.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 2:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Without wanting to come off as piling on, I'll add to Doc's points that Lydon himself invites this comparison by opining on political matters. Engaging in political commentary invites comparison to the body of his public work, which conveniently engaged in a lot of politic rhetoric (completely insincere rhetoric, by your reckoning).

I think, straightforwardly, that Lydon was making political statements in the 70s and he's making them today, and it's odd not to naturally compare the two.
I see no problem in disliking his views now. John has a much more public platform with talk shows etc. Inder is correct in calling him a bore earlier in the thread. Why do people expect him to keep the same views for 40 years?. He's entitled to speak whatever bullshit he likes on those talk shows. I think he's sad in what he's saying and he's completely out of touch. I guess people change, in 1977 he was a public enemy now he's a celebrity So I'm never surprised when he comes out with some stupid comment.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 2:39pm
I see no problem in disliking his views now. John has a much more public platform with talk shows etc. Inder is correct in calling him a bore earlier in the thread. Why do people expect him to keep the same views for 40 years?. He's entitled to speak whatever bullshit he likes on those talk shows. I think he's sad in what he's saying and he's completely out of touch. I guess people change, in 1977 he was a public enemy now he's a celebrity So I'm never surprised when he comes out with some stupid comment.
It would be odd to keep the exact same views for 40 years. But it's not unreasonable to hope that someone who used to do so well capturing the spirit of a marginalized, downtrodden youth would have nothing but disdain for monsters like Nigel Farage and Donald fucking Trump. Those people are evil and cruel, and seeing Lydon speak well of them is disheartening, partly because it's obvious how thoughtless and out-of-touch those comments are.

Being a celebrity doesn't stop you from being a person connected to others in this world, or it shouldn't. It's a shame that, apparently, Lydon has ensconced himself in a life such that he can casually aid and abet deep cruelty and racism with no apparent concern.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 2:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 2:39pm
It would be odd to keep the exact same views for 40 years. But it's not unreasonable to hope that someone who used to do so well capturing the spirit of a marginalized, downtrodden youth would have nothing but disdain for monsters like Nigel Farage and Donald fucking Trump. Those people are evil and cruel, and seeing Lydon speak well of them is disheartening, partly because it's obvious how thoughtless and out-of-touch those comments are.

Being a celebrity doesn't stop you from being a person connected to others in this world, or it shouldn't. It's a shame that, apparently, Lydon has ensconced himself in a life such that he can casually aid and abet deep cruelty and racism with no apparent concern.
I've only ever cared about the music to be honest. Politics interests me only in a personal nature. As for John he was this little skinny very poor sickly kid from Finsbury Park and now he owns real estate and lives in California. He still believes he's working class and that's entirely up to him. He says he cares about people who are working class but to me he is remote from it all.

If you ever get the chance to listen to some of the old interviews the Pistols gave in '76 and '77 you will clearly understand my stance of them not being a genuinely political group. Writing lyrics that are of a political nature doesn't mean you are some kind of political force. AitUK is a great record but it didn't make me want to become an anarchist it just made me not want to hear Leo Sayer on the radio anymore.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 27 Mar 2017, 3:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 2:29pm
First of all I called no one a moron.
Earlier, you said this: "If people think AitUK and GStQ were political then they really missed the point." That's not exactly respecting people's interpretation. That's calling them wrong.
Secondly this discussion is about the Sex Pistols and not "punk". And who made you the spokesperson for thousands of fans. You speak for you as I for myself.
Feel free to point out where I'm speaking for other people. Pointing out that I'm far from alone in perceiving an ideological thrust in what they were doing is not being a spokesperson. Moreover, I never said people who treat the band politically or ideologically are wrong. I explicitly said that I have no problem with someone as yourself treating them non-ideologically. You're the one telling the rest of us we've misread him and them all along. I'll just withdraw from this now because, honestly, it's not that productive and can only go south.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 3:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 2:29pm
First of all I called no one a moron.
Earlier, you said this: "If people think AitUK and GStQ were political then they really missed the point." That's not exactly respecting people's interpretation. That's calling them wrong.
Secondly this discussion is about the Sex Pistols and not "punk". And who made you the spokesperson for thousands of fans. You speak for you as I for myself.
Feel free to point out where I'm speaking for other people. Pointing out that I'm far from alone in perceiving an ideological thrust in what they were doing is not being a spokesperson. Moreover, I never said people who treat the band politically or ideologically are wrong. I explicitly said that I have no problem with someone as yourself treating them non-ideologically. You're the one telling the rest of us we've misread him and them all along. I'll just withdraw from this now because, honestly, it's not that productive and can only go south.
Well you suggested it was arrogant of me "to deny how other people have interpreted the music". Well I actually think it more arrogant of you and all those writers you mention to not even bother to listen to what the band themselves had to say about their own records. "We're a fun band not a political band".

I suggested no one was thick either and that everyone is entitled to their view. I never used the term "Moron" and I didn't call you "nasty" for having your view. I didn't resort to any form of name calling whatsoever. This is the view of the band fact and not something I made up. Yes Rotten used politcal targets for some (very few in fact) of his lyrics. Egged on by Malcolm and Jamie Reid who had been into situationism in their early days together. Maybe the tongue in cheek line "We mean it maaaaan!" was lost on you.

Hey no hard feelings man. It's good to bump heads every now and again.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 27 Mar 2017, 3:50pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Maybe the UK was different, but I get a sense that over here they were considered more political than not. Pop or not, AitUK is a strong message to a young mind. At my age now, I see what you're saying. Teenage me thought very differently, though.