The Challenge Thread

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 4:53pm
Interesting trivia you probably know already: That's Roy Harper singing on "Have a Cigar," rather than any of the Floyd members. Apparently, Waters had blown out his voice recording "Shine On..." and Gilmour didn't want to do it for some reason. Harper happened to be in the studio, and the rest is history.
Yeah. I like the song, bit different for Floyd. Figured it may play well in this mix since everyone else has heard the other cuts on that record a million times.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 5:08pm
Kory wrote:
Interesting trivia you probably know already: That's Roy Harper singing on "Have a Cigar," rather than any of the Floyd members. Apparently, Waters had blown out his voice recording "Shine On..." and Gilmour didn't want to do it for some reason. Harper happened to be in the studio, and the rest is history.
Yeah. I like the song, bit different for Floyd. Figured it may play well in this mix since everyone else has heard the other cuts on that record a million times.
I'm gonna blow through the Floyd mix in the next couple of days. I'm ready to give them a fair shake after a pretty dumb "punk rockers disliked em in '77" stance out lasted its use.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
One of my old roommates essentially had the entire Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd catalogs on repeat for 3 years. Anything that I liked about either band elicits little response from me anymore. Oh and god the high school parties same there too always lots of both bands in heavy rotation.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'll be firing shit up around 6.15 EDT. Might do one post per song or save it all for one big post covering each song.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 5:24pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
One of my old roommates essentially had the entire Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd catalogs on repeat for 3 years. Anything that I liked about either band elicits little response from me anymore. Oh and god the high school parties same there too always lots of both bands in heavy rotation.
I like Animals. You gotta admit, it's a pretty good record sleeve.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

BostonBeaneater wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 5:29pm
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:

I love that sleeve. I think the Battersea Power Station is beautiful enough on its own, but they style of the painting and the flying pig kick it up another notch.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Here's the old Power Station from another angle, as painted by some bass player from an old punk band

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 5:19pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
I'm gonna blow through the Floyd mix in the next couple of days. I'm ready to give them a fair shake after a pretty dumb "punk rockers disliked em in '77" stance out lasted its use.
This is exactly how I got into Floyd in the firts place. Plus "See Emily Play" is my all time fave single. I never really saw all the nihlism in punk but it sure did have a negative attitude to some great music made previously.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 5:31pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:

I love that sleeve. I think the Battersea Power Station is beautiful enough on its own, but they style of the painting and the flying pig kick it up another notch.
Silent Dread.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 5:19pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
They really are more of an "albums" band, but Flex put together a good list. Have fun!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:

I do actually own a copy of this on vinyl. The heaviness of it appeals to my hard rock sensibilities. I probably haven't listened to it in 30 years.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

1. Arnold Layne
It’d be a dumb joke to say this sounds like Dukes of Stratosphear. It does create a weird inhibition, tho, to treat this on its own terms. Not to go all Heston here, but it’s hard to locate a song in it all. Which isn’t necessarily a criticism, but it does seem more of jam, just dicking around on a vibe.

2. Lucifer Sam
Very cool from the start. Somewhere between surf and spy music. But you can also visualize go-go dancers frugging in a cage. Not especially taken with any of the vocal parts, but the various guitar bits are groovtastic. It sounds like it’d be a blast to play.

3. Jugband Blues
Sounds like Magical Mystery Tour-era Beatles farting about. Which, I guess, is the right period. While I like the disruptions and abrupt changes—or at least in principle—I’m not sure it’s something I’d listen to again.

4. The Nile Song
Unexpectedly conventional sounding. Somewhere between acid rock and early heavy metal. I’m never a fan of soloing, but the malicious energy underneath it all makes it acceptable. It belongs in the soundtrack of any period movie featuring teenagers getting stoned in their bedroom.

5. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
My mind’s eye sees planetarium laser show. Still, this is the kind of stuff that I think of when I think of Floyd. It’s more of that jam mixed with what would be prog, with a jigger of a flight to the stars (or, I guess, the heart of the sun). And yet, I’ll groove to stuff not completely dissimilar to this from Swans since their reboot—long jams that are endurance tests.

6. Summer '68
Hey, it’s the Bryan Adams song! No, it’s not. Thank fuck. It’s, I dunno, pleasant? Am I supposed to get a strange Beach Boys vibe to it all? It seems like one of Brian Wilson’s brain fever communications with god. I kinda like the kitchen-sink aspect of different instrumentation in the various segments.

7. One of These Days
Good menacing beginning. So far, my favourite of the list—a blend of spacey/groovy with darkness. I feel like I should haul my lava lamp out and talk to my pet rock (I do own a lava lamp, btw).

8. The Gold It's in the...
Stoner rock. Actually, the first thing I thought of was Foghat. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But it’s a bit too much jam rock for my preferences.

9. Brain Damage
I know this one, of course. Is it a reference to Syd? God, Love & Rockets lifted their entire sound from this album. It’s weird that in my mind I see Yellow Submarine-esque animation. Am I forcing that—forcing psychedelic era sounds and visuals into each other—or does it actually all just go together that well? Anyway, this was decent.

10. Have a Cigar
Groo-vay. But in this case it seems like one of those grooves that are more for musicians and wannabe air guitarists. This is, like “Set the Controls …,” too much of what I think of (in the negative) with Floyd. It’s the jam band stuff with keyboards that tell you this is heavy and deep. Maybe I need to smoke pot to get it.

11. Pigs (Three Different Ones)
I know this one, too. There’s something antiseptic about the sound—very 70s studio rat. I like the guitar sound but the drums are too prominent for my liking. Goes on too long, tho (but if I was a Floyd fan I imagine it’d be a tonic—I realize the inconsistency with how I regard 30 minute Swans songs). I suspect with time I’d grow to dig this, length and all. Maybe.

12. Waiting for the Worms
Funny how this track from 1979 gives no hint whatsoever that punk or post-punk has taken place. Full steam ahead, tho with a certain Queen-ishness in the anthemic vocals. I assume the track makes better sense in the context of the full album.

13. Not Now John
Again, I”m just never going to warm to that soloing—it’s pretty much the bridge too far for me when it comes to 70s heavy rock—but there’s a power to this, a weight, that I like. Not keen on the backing vocals from the women, adding an almost soul dimension to what would benefit from a brutal grind. Still, I largely dig this.

14. Wish You Were Here
Bluesy noodling. This is the kind of stuff that makes me dream of the most sugary disposable pop imaginable.

15. See Emily Play
A nice closing of Dukes of Stratosphear, just like the beginning. As much as I like the aesthetics of the different instruments, the song itself doesn’t hold my attention enough. Which, again, calls back to my comment about “Arnold Layne.”

All in all, I’d say it’s a case of, indeed, liking the sounds of a number of songs and the atmosphere where it goes darker, but it has too much of a stoner rock groove to it for me to really get into. Exorcising them of their blues inclinations might bring them closer to the post-punk bands that are supposed to be departures/influences. I doubt I’ll ever actually like them, but I do like the more menacing pieces.

Verdict: So much better than KISS that superlatives lose all meaning.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 8:00pm

I literally just took a shit that's better than KISS. Unfortunately it'll never get any airplay nor mass acceptance with a wider audience.

Seriously though I liked your reviews enough so that I'll listen to a few again for nostalgia if nothing else.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I might do the Floyd challenge if I get time over the weekend. i heard them all getting stoned in my mate's house aged 17, and I could maybe do with a nostalgia trip, it's a while since I heard them. I know I love "Not Now John" and hate "Wish You Were Here", but there may be some surprises in between.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 8:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 8:00pm

I literally just took a shit that's better than KISS. Unfortunately it'll never get any airplay nor mass acceptance with a wider audience.

Seriously though I liked your reviews enough so that I'll listen to a few again for nostalgia if nothing else.
No shit of yours will ever be better than Strutter.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board