The David Bowie is God Thread

General music discussion.
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by muppet hi fi »

This will strike some as a bit of heresy, but for one of the greatest (IMO) albums ever recorded - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - the track "It Ain't Easy" isn't a very good song, so why'd they put it on the album when they had so many other far superior songs recorded to choose from?

"Velvet Goldmine" is the obvious choice. "Holy Holy" is a great song as well. And if they felt like they really needed a cover song, they had an excellent take of Chuck's "Around and Around". Or they could have used "Amsterdam" or recorded "My Death". They could have recorded "I'm Waiting For the Man" or "White Light/White Heat", too. Or why not tighten up "Sweet Head"?

Thoughts?
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Don't forget Sweet Head too, what a revelation that Rykodisc reissue was, there were plenty of great songs left off. Maybe Tony Visconti would have some insight

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I just reread this entire thread because I am at work and what else should I be doing? Anyway, this thread is the god of all IMCT threads.

What do you all think of Jinkx Monsoon's (shes the winner of RuPaul's Drag Race season 5) cover of LOM? I dig it.

Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

muppet hi fi wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 11:13pm
This will strike some as a bit of heresy, but for one of the greatest (IMO) albums ever recorded - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - the track "It Ain't Easy" isn't a very good song, so why'd they put it on the album when they had so many other far superior songs recorded to choose from?

"Velvet Goldmine" is the obvious choice. "Holy Holy" is a great song as well. And if they felt like they really needed a cover song, they had an excellent take of Chuck's "Around and Around". Or they could have used "Amsterdam" or recorded "My Death". They could have recorded "I'm Waiting For the Man" or "White Light/White Heat", too. Or why not tighten up "Sweet Head"?

Thoughts?
Me and my buddy Jim were driving with my wife listening to the CD and when "It Ain't Easy" came on my wife said "I like this song" and Jim and I just burst into laughter and always tease her that her favorite song is "It Ain't Easy" which is clearly the worst song on the record. That was 10 years ago, and we brought it up again as recently as last month. Even so, I like the song a lot, it's just the worst on the record. Like being the ugliest Gabor sister.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 3:32pm
muppet hi fi wrote:

Thoughts?
Me and my buddy Jim were driving with my wife listening to the CD and when "It Ain't Easy" came on my wife said "I like this song" and Jim and I just burst into laughter and always tease her that her favorite song is "It Ain't Easy" which is clearly the worst song on the record. That was 10 years ago, and we brought it up again as recently as last month. Even so, I like the song a lot, it's just the worst on the record. Like being the ugliest Gabor sister.
Yeah, it's definitely the worst song on the album, but I still like it.

The honest truth is that there were enough quality outtakes/live songs from that session to make a bonus disc that is better than 99% of rock albums out there. It's astonishing how fired up Bowie was in that period.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:

Thoughts?
All those you mentioned are better tracks. I think "It Ain't Easy" is an OK song I think Bowie just liked the original and the idea of a cover version. RCA would never have let "Sweet Head" make the cut. "Around and Around" ('Round and 'Round) was on the original track list but got dropped once Bowie had recorded "Sufragette City" which is plenty Chuck Berry sounding. The track "Starman" replaced 'Round and 'Round from the original running order. Bowie also mentioned in 2002 a song called "Blackhole Kids" which he said should of been on Ziggy, no idea if it was ever recorded.

A great deal of info here. http://www.5years.com/outtakes.htm

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 6:46pm
muppet hi fi wrote:

Thoughts?
All those you mentioned are better tracks. I think "It Ain't Easy" is an OK song I think Bowie just liked the original and the idea of a cover version. RCA would never have let "Sweet Head" make the cut. "Around and Around" ('Round and 'Round) was on the original track list but got dropped once Bowie had recorded "Sufragette City" which is plenty Chuck Berry sounding. The track "Starman" replaced 'Round and 'Round from the original running order. Bowie also mentioned in 2002 a song called "Blackhole Kids" which he said should of been on Ziggy, no idea if it was ever recorded.

I wonder if Suffragette City became available for the album after Mott turned it down.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 10:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Thoughts?

I wonder if Suffragette City became available for the album after Mott turned it down.
I think it would be pretty fair to assume that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I think Moonage Daydream could very well be the greatest song ever recorded.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 11:33am
I cannot argue with this.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

JennyB wrote:
Sounds legit.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
It's no WBTCORNR ...thank god.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 3:59pm
JennyB wrote:
Really, is anything?
Got a Rake? Sure!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 4:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 3:59pm
JennyB wrote:
Really, is anything?
:lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Thoughts?

Some here too, from the same site: http://www.5years.com/iaeasy.htm
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc