Star Wars

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Star Wars

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:Okay, I really liked Rogue One. More than The Force Awakens, probably. It was also a good illustration why Disney dumped all the extended universe shit. That story had been told in the EU via the Dark Forces computer game. It would be ludicrous to allow an early 90s shooter prevent Rogue One from happening.
Yeah I'm in agreement with this.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I just watched the Phineaus and Ferb Star Wars episode. It was pretty damn funny.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The boss and I watched The Force Awakens again last night. I really do pity Star Wars fans who don't allow themselves to enjoy the fuck out of that movie. As someone who saw the first three during their original runs in the theatre, it captures so well everything that made those movies magical when I was a kid. If you hate TFA, I think it's valid to question why you claim to love Star Wars.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 6:53pm
The boss and I watched The Force Awakens again last night. I really do pity Star Wars fans who don't allow themselves to enjoy the fuck out of that movie. As someone who saw the first three during their original runs in the theatre, it captures so well everything that made those movies magical when I was a kid. If you hate TFA, I think it's valid to question why you claim to love Star Wars.
I like starwars. I was 10 when I loved it. The prequels were pitiful. TFA seemed like a modern reselling/retelling of a story I already knew. I'm bored.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 8:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I like starwars. I was 10 when I loved it. The prequels were pitiful. TFA seemed like a modern reselling/retelling of a story I already knew. I'm bored.
I liked TFA but I certainly can understand BBEs position. I went in knowing nothing about it but quickly realized the familiarity of the story. At first I felt a bit cheated but I was ultimately able to put that aside and enjoy it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Okay, this only applies if you're actually immersed in SW (i.e., not a casual fan), but it's key to realize that the whole thing operates under Medieval or pre-modern ideas. That whole thing about it being a long time ago and knights and the importance of religion binding everyone, that's really important for how SW works. And one thing about pre-modern conceptions of time is that it's cyclical, not linear, so there's a belief that the experiences of the world basically repeat, varying slightly because of the actors. People do not make their own fate—that's a moden belief—but are called to play roles in the narrative of the world. TFA gets it right by having establishing that the story and the stakes and the roles must play out again. (Plus, the old pulps work under the premise that the villains never learn. The First Order does the Death Star thing because that's what the Empire did—twice—and bad guys have to go big.) So SW, if it's being true to its premise, must be about telling a story that has neither a beginning nor an ending, but one that spins. Judging it on modernist or even postmodernist grounds is going to find TFA boring or a rip off. And to each his own, but it's not accepting the premise of the story on its own terms.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 9:46pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Okay, this only applies if you're actually immersed in SW (i.e., not a casual fan), but it's key to realize that the whole thing operates under Medieval or pre-modern ideas. That whole thing about it being a long time ago and knights and the importance of religion binding everyone, that's really important for how SW works. And one thing about pre-modern conceptions of time is that it's cyclical, not linear, so there's a belief that the experiences of the world basically repeat, varying slightly because of the actors. People do not make their own fate—that's a moden belief—but are called to play roles in the narrative of the world. TFA gets it right by having establishing that the story and the stakes and the roles must play out again. (Plus, the old pulps work under the premise that the villains never learn. The First Order does the Death Star thing because that's what the Empire did—twice—and bad guys have to go big.) So SW, if it's being true to its premise, must be about telling a story that has neither a beginning nor an ending, but one that spins. Judging it on modernist or even postmodernist grounds is going to find TFA boring or a rip off. And to each his own, but it's not accepting the premise of the story on its own terms.
I guess I felt like I could call the line before it was said. I liked it but it also further tarnished the original.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 9:46pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
*nods sagely and puffs on bubble pipe*
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 10:46pm

*nods sagely and puffs on bubble pipe*
That's the funniest thing I'll read on here for quite some time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Whenever I see this commercial …

… I think of this:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

FAO Hookworm (again): Here's another thing you should buy: https://www.booster.com/prequelsgood
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 3:36pm
FAO Hookworm (again): Here's another thing you should buy: https://www.booster.com/prequelsgood
Nice try, Lucas, nice try.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

i guess i'll rent that new star wars thing when it comes avail. on netflix. the last one was pretty not bad
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 4:37pm
i guess i'll rent that new star wars thing when it comes avail. on netflix. the last one was pretty not bad
I had mixed feelings about it. It was dark and captivating, but it never felt like a Star Wars movie to me. Star Wars is a grand-scale epic, people playing out cosmic and pure roles of good and evil. Rogue One is street level and engages in more ambiguous characters, where the good guy rebels can behave in nasty ways and their efforts are less epic than the shitty job someone has to do for the heroes. On its own, it's a pretty affecting flick that is a couple cuts above popcorn but, yeah, not really Star Wars.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Rogue One might be my fave SW property after A New Hope, tbh. It was good.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!