No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 Feb 2017, 4:22pm

I've only skimmed this longish interview about reviving a more oppositional and demanding form of feminism, rather than the model that is being used to rationalize any behaviour by women (particularly famous ones): http://themuse.jezebel.com/a-frank-talk ... 1792367458
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Apr 2017, 8:05am

Image
Clearly, the answer is that more American women need guns, as must be the case in all those other countries.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 13 May 2017, 8:53am

Neil Macdonald on feminists against the transgendered in Canada: http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/trans-ri ... -1.4113455
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15369
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by JennyB » 15 May 2017, 11:54am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2017, 8:53am
Neil Macdonald on feminists against the transgendered in Canada: http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/trans-ri ... -1.4113455
I read this as Norm Macdonald at first, but that's neither here nor there...

I don't understand feminists who don't embrace trans women. It's mind boggling.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Flex » 15 May 2017, 12:06pm

TERFs are awful.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15369
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by JennyB » 15 May 2017, 12:11pm

Flex wrote:
15 May 2017, 12:06pm
TERFs are awful.
They certainly are.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 May 2017, 12:17pm

It reminds me of the Reagan years, when anti-pornography social conservatives found alliance with anti-pornography feminists. A good lesson in the porous nature of politics and ideology.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12591
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Silent Majority » 15 May 2017, 12:38pm

Intersectional or gtfo.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 14 Jun 2017, 12:05pm

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/mal ... -1.3456844

Ay-yi-yi, this situation is a mess, where law and culture clash. I can certainly see the validity of both sides in this.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 06 Jul 2017, 2:07pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.4190254

This has been an ongoing case back in Saskatchewan that's regained prominence as the killer has been sentenced as an adult, which has allowed people to speak publicly. The short version is that a teenaged couple broke up and the guy, possessive and violent, stalked and killed her. The latest revelation, and what is truly unsettling, is that huge numbers of kids at the high school knew what this guy was planning, that he had engaged and plotted with friends to do it. The levels of depravity—from playing along, thinking it serious or not, to looking the other way—is fucking chilling. The hypersocialization of Internet culture that also weirdly numbs social responsibility to others is nothing short of horrific.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Flex » 06 Jul 2017, 4:09pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 2:07pm
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.4190254

This has been an ongoing case back in Saskatchewan that's regained prominence as the killer has been sentenced as an adult, which has allowed people to speak publicly. The short version is that a teenaged couple broke up and the guy, possessive and violent, stalked and killed her. The latest revelation, and what is truly unsettling, is that huge numbers of kids at the high school knew what this guy was planning, that he had engaged and plotted with friends to do it. The levels of depravity—from playing along, thinking it serious or not, to looking the other way—is fucking chilling. The hypersocialization of Internet culture that also weirdly numbs social responsibility to others is nothing short of horrific.
That's horrible. And, as you say, it suggests something chilling about how social engagement is evolving with the internet.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 30 Sep 2017, 8:44pm

Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 18 Oct 2017, 8:21pm

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/why-w ... 1819637248

I'll offer something slightly different. Without denying one iota the centuries-old Euro-American male entitlement to treat women like objects, and women knowing that's how the cultural sinews of power are built and so challenging it will bring a world of shit down on them, another factor that is vital to all this is that these monsters, be it Weinstein or Ailes, get away with it because they generate great profit for their companies and the people associated with them. They are golden geese and that incentivizes everyone around them, men and women, to look the other way or otherwise rationalize their behaviour. They are immunized until something dramatic happens because we privilege profit over, y'know, basic human decency. If they can't make other people wealthy, their ability to be predators drops way way down (that is, their potential prey becomes less notable). It's the "I got mine" mentality of our economy that enables these bastards as much as cultural mores of male dominance.

edit: To be clear, I'm talking about how these powerful guys gets away with it, not the everyday humiliations women deal with because pushing back against cultural privileges is beyond most people, even good people.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7367
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Kory » 20 Oct 2017, 2:21pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 8:21pm
https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/why-w ... 1819637248

I'll offer something slightly different. Without denying one iota the centuries-old Euro-American male entitlement to treat women like objects, and women knowing that's how the cultural sinews of power are built and so challenging it will bring a world of shit down on them, another factor that is vital to all this is that these monsters, be it Weinstein or Ailes, get away with it because they generate great profit for their companies and the people associated with them. They are golden geese and that incentivizes everyone around them, men and women, to look the other way or otherwise rationalize their behaviour. They are immunized until something dramatic happens because we privilege profit over, y'know, basic human decency. If they can't make other people wealthy, their ability to be predators drops way way down (that is, their potential prey becomes less notable). It's the "I got mine" mentality of our economy that enables these bastards as much as cultural mores of male dominance.

edit: To be clear, I'm talking about how these powerful guys gets away with it, not the everyday humiliations women deal with because pushing back against cultural privileges is beyond most people, even good people.
Good point. I was going to respond to this but I got sidetracked at work and forgot what I was going to say. But I still wanted to acknowledge.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 04 Nov 2017, 6:33am

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-red-flag

Along the same lines of those same qualities that make for a successful CEO are those in a sociopath.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest