The website is dying because it's just a circlejerk of inside jokes and happy birthdays

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The website is dying because it's just a circlejerk of inside jokes and happy birthdays

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:I think they were just displayed as they are now?
I remember there weren't many CD's on display as there was no back catalogue so to start with you only had top 20 albums. That's my excuse for buying some shit CD's!!!
Unless UK retailers used different racks or immediately converted to special cd racks, I suspect your memory is faulty. The second half of the 80s was an awkward period for media type in that albums and cd's were both being stocked side by side.

They had special CD racks but like I said they only stocked top 20 at best so wasn't like a big display. I was living in central London at the time so can only vouch for the major retailers don't know what the independants did. But there was definately no long boxes.

and if Heston or Marky pop and say there was I have my coat half on already.
Okay, that could make sense that there was a partial commitment to new racks early on.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The website is dying because it's just a circlejerk of inside jokes and happy birthdays

Post by Kory »

I prefer CDs by a wide margin. The clarity is a bigger benefit to me than warmth. Aside from that, I don't care for pops and crackles in the music unless the artist put it there themselves. I know people say that if you take care of your records, you don't get that as much, but it's so rare that one finds records in that condition.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

From my cold...dead...hands:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:I prefer CDs by a wide margin. The clarity is a bigger benefit to me than warmth. Aside from that, I don't care for pops and crackles in the music unless the artist put it there themselves. I know people say that if you take care of your records, you don't get that as much, but it's so rare that one finds records in that condition.
I honestly think 95% of the "analog is warmer" argument comes from the early day of incredibly shitty CD mastering. Just like most of the anti-digital music screeds are based on the shittiest, lossiest compressed files from 2001.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:I prefer CDs by a wide margin. The clarity is a bigger benefit to me than warmth. Aside from that, I don't care for pops and crackles in the music unless the artist put it there themselves. I know people say that if you take care of your records, you don't get that as much, but it's so rare that one finds records in that condition.
I honestly think 95% of the "analog is warmer" argument comes from the early day of incredibly shitty CD mastering. Just like most of the anti-digital music screeds are based on the shittiest, lossiest compressed files from 2001.
When you both die under mysterious circumstances, I'm going to tell the cops to check Neil Young's alibi.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I remember there weren't many CD's on display as there was no back catalogue so to start with you only had top 20 albums. That's my excuse for buying some shit CD's!!!
Unless UK retailers used different racks or immediately converted to special cd racks, I suspect your memory is faulty. The second half of the 80s was an awkward period for media type in that albums and cd's were both being stocked side by side.

They had special CD racks but like I said they only stocked top 20 at best so wasn't like a big display. I was living in central London at the time so can only vouch for the major retailers don't know what the independants did. But there was definately no long boxes.

Think you better get your Weasel and Stoat mate. I remember buying my first CD's in Tower Records, Piccadilly, London and they were in long boxes. My first CD purchase was "No. 10 Upping St." those long boxes were so wasteful.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Think you better get your Weasel and Stoat mate. I remember buying my first CD's in Tower Records, Piccadilly, London and they were in long boxes. My first CD purchase was "No. 10 Upping St." those long boxes were so wasteful.
Taxi!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Okay, that could make sense that there was a partial commitment to new racks early on.
Columbia House is how you start the collection

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Taxi!
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Holy shit, IMCT is 15 years old.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
08 Feb 2017, 9:00pm
We're still jailbait.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Inder wrote:
Is that when it changed from Satch's?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2017, 9:34pm
Inder wrote:
No, it was still Satch's when I joined 13 years ago.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
Inder wrote:
You don't remember the Hissyfit Rebellion when the name was changed? Good times, amusing times.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2017, 10:10pm
101Walterton wrote:
Inder wrote:
You don't remember the Hissyfit Rebellion when the name was changed? Good times, amusing times.
I remember it just don't have a Scooby when it was???