How did I not know there was an official Strummer - Pogues live album

General music discussion.
AudioAmmunition
Dirty Punk

Re: How did I not know there was an official Strummer - Pogues live album

Post by AudioAmmunition »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Feb 2017, 10:02am
Hope Heston doesn't mind but I was listening to this earlier. So here it is.

https://mega.nz/#!PwVG0ATJ!CBsh4f76dG0s ... JbKXAnYYeQ
Thank you very much Marky, you always come up with the goods!

I was asking if anyone could upload this a couple of pages back.

Just listening now, sounding great.

Was on the verge of purchasing the CD box set (£23.75 from Dodax.co.uk if anyone's looking, crazy that you can buy the physical product for less than the cost of the download) for 1 album I really want, 6 albums I already have (with 2 remixes) and 1 I wouldn't really want (the last Shane-less album).

Must agree with you that some of their best material is on b-sides and EPS, in fact my favourite Pogues track is Rainy Night In Soho.

Have been wondering what Shane was up to lately, I know he did the regular re-union shows but not had any recordings since the Popes albums which I thought were decent albums (better than The Pogues releases without him). Came across this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... chair.html

Cheers again Marky

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Here's what I said about it on release, for anyone interested.
It's great that they used a show where MacGowan was sat in the audience. He seemed to find the band's rapid decline after they sacked him darkly hilarious.

I'll tell you one thing the band may have done wrong. They failed to adapt musically to Joe Strummer's voice at all, even a little bit. Throughout, the songs are banged through in their own universe, with no regard paid to their new singer's style. There's lovely interplay between the musicians, but it's as if Joe's been superimposed on the top of them. They developed this battle-hardened technique in the darkest days of Shane's tenure, training themselves to avert their eyes to the floor, play the songs, and if the vocalist is slurring out of time and forgetting words, well, what the fuck ever, we'll be out of here in ninety minutes.

It's probably a matter of lack of rehearsal too, I understand they pulled Joe in as a desperate last minute replacement and so he was forced to head a unit already on the march, with no opportunity to drop his own identity in there. It means that MacGowan's shadow is more present and noticable than it would have been if the potentially beautiful weird, possible meshing of Joe Strummer and the Pogues had organically met in some kind of middle ground. Joe has to perform in the hole where Shane would have been so mostly what we get is lack of Shane. I think this is one of the reasons why Hell's Ditch is my standout track of the release, the playing gives an organic opportunity for Strummer to show the sizable gifts that he could bring to the table. They sound like a band there.

"Singing's fucking stupid and completely, unsatisfyingly dissimilar to heroin." - What Shane seemed to be saying in his vocal performance on Hell's Ditch. Joe had no idea how to phrase Sayanora, though, that's a point to Shane.

They're great together on the Clash material. And when a Pogue steps on to the mic, you can feel a little more relaxation, as in Terry Woods' brilliant version of Young Ned. Terry's the real star of this album, his playing is consistently interesting, by the way. The band are like someone who had a dickhead for a spouse and are consistently pleasantly surprised to discover their new partner doesn't care if they chat to an attractive member of the opposite sex. They just may have had more chemistry with the dickhead.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

I've nabbed that re-up of the Strummer/Pogues show, thanks very much, Marky.

If anyone does upload the remixed P&L and RRFM, I'd love a link too as I've lost the files that Heston sent me in 2014.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

AudioAmmunition wrote:
06 Feb 2017, 8:06am
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Feb 2017, 10:02am
Hope Heston doesn't mind but I was listening to this earlier. So here it is.

https://mega.nz/#!PwVG0ATJ!CBsh4f76dG0s ... JbKXAnYYeQ
Thank you very much Marky, you always come up with the goods!

I was asking if anyone could upload this a couple of pages back.

Just listening now, sounding great.

Was on the verge of purchasing the CD box set (£23.75 from Dodax.co.uk if anyone's looking, crazy that you can buy the physical product for less than the cost of the download) for 1 album I really want, 6 albums I already have (with 2 remixes) and 1 I wouldn't really want (the last Shane-less album).

Must agree with you that some of their best material is on b-sides and EPS, in fact my favourite Pogues track is Rainy Night In Soho.

Have been wondering what Shane was up to lately, I know he did the regular re-union shows but not had any recordings since the Popes albums which I thought were decent albums (better than The Pogues releases without him). Came across this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... chair.html

Cheers again Marky
A pleasure mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Feb 2017, 2:18pm
Here's RRfM and P&L.

https://mega.nz/#!G98VUYyC!NzDgOT3hZapk ... l8q0aHvsf8
Many, many thanks!

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Here's RRfM and P&L.

Cheers Marky, will save me crawling about in my car for 2 hours.

These are a great listen to these ears, I wish The Clash would do something similar with Sandinista and CtC, there is no doubt both having mixing issues. The Pogues had a great curator in Philip Chevron, but I don't think anyone in the Clash camp has that level of interest. Such a shame.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Feb 2017, 3:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Here's RRfM and P&L.

Cheers Marky, will save me crawling about in my car for 2 hours.

These are a great listen to these ears, I wish The Clash would do something similar with Sandinista and CtC, there is no doubt both having mixing issues. The Pogues had a great curator in Philip Chevron, but I don't think anyone in the Clash camp has that level of interest. Such a shame.
Yeap I agree cheers mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

AudioAmmunition
Dirty Punk

Marky Dread wrote:
Here's RRfM and P&L.

Cheers Marky, will give these two a listen, see if they sound radically different to my originals CDs, P & L never been a real favourite anyway - too many non Shane songs, apart from the beautiful 'Albert Bridge'. Presume you've all noticed the 6 fingered boxer on the front (well technically 5 fingers and a thumb).

Nice touch there, calling the file KissMyArse.RAR - going back to their Gaelic roots.

Much appreciated

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Thanks marky, i have these cds somewhere but cant find anything in the mess of my house at the moment so took opportunity to avail of the download, generosity much appreciated as ever!

May be wrong but think Misty Morning is a Finer song? I love it regardless, one of Pogues most hauntingly beautiful tracks in my estimation. I guess I like P&L because it's less Shane than previous albums, the other members had so much more to contribute. And I still think Shane has great tracks on the album - White City is excellent and Boat Train is a great laugh. I think the blend they got on the record is pretty good.

I should also retract my previous comments about Blue Heaven, its not that radically different in the remix, not sure what I was thinking of. Just the piano bit that comes through on the non-vocal part, not sure it adds a lot, but not as ill-fitting as I'd recalled. USA, a song I love, does definitely sound a lot clearer and better on the reissue for starters.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

If anyone wants the other Pogues boxset ('Just Look Them Straight In The Eye') you can get it as a download for £7.49 MP3 / £12.49 higher-res.
Or you can just pick off the interesting tracks, e.g. Afro Cuban Bebop

http://www.junodownload.com/search/?q%5 ... +pogues%22

I still can't work out if this site is legit - if it is, the artists must get peanuts in royalties. (Or, the price for a download of a box set is fair, and is only what the artists get even if you bought the physical set anyway, which is a real eye-opener)
eg. You can get the Clash Sound System downloads for the same deal!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

AudioAmmunition
Dirty Punk

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Feb 2017, 9:26am

May be wrong but think Misty Morning is a Finer song? I love it regardless, one of Pogues most hauntingly beautiful tracks in my estimation. I guess I like P&L because it's less Shane than previous albums, the other members had so much more to contribute. And I still think Shane has great tracks on the album - White City is excellent and Boat Train is a great laugh. I think the blend they got on the record is pretty good.

You're right Low Down, It is a Jem Finer song, that was my point that I didn't really like so much the non Shane compositions except that one which I found outstanding.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

AudioAmmunition wrote:
08 Feb 2017, 8:01am
Low Down Low wrote:

You're right Low Down, It is a Jem Finer song, that was my point that I didn't really like so much the non Shane compositions except that one which I found outstanding.
I like the two Terry Woods songs a lot, but he's not so natural a writer as peak MacGowan. The rest of the non-Shane tracks are pretty average. Lorelei should have been done by the Radiators From Space, I'd like it better that way.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Young Ned of the Hill is one of my favourite songs by anyone, ever.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

AudioAmmunition wrote:
08 Feb 2017, 8:01am
Low Down Low wrote:

Sorry mate, I read it wrong, humble apologies. I do think Jem was an outstanding songwriter in his own right, but of course he was never going to be anywhere near Shane's league at his best.