Silent Majority wrote:
04 Feb 2017, 6:50am
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2017, 6:39am
Silent Majority wrote:
04 Feb 2017, 6:21am
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2017, 6:08am
The remastered P&L is definitely worth a listen but the original will always remain the default setting for me. It's always been my favourite Pogues album so i guess I was happy with it the way it was and wasn't prepared for the changes. Blue Heaven in particular shocked me. I think they made a mess of a perfectly good song on the remaster.

The opposite of all this.
Ah yeah, I wouldn't expect to be in anything other than a minority of one on this...
I think the optimum way to listen to the original Peace & Love mix is in a studio ripped on great 1980s cocaine at 2am with Steve Lilywhite and the production inclined members of the Pogues, everyone egging eachother on.
I'd never claim it's the perfect record or, quality wise, the equal of previous, or even subsequent, efforts, but I loved it when it came out because I was getting a bit tired of the whole irish vibe thing and was thrilled to hear them breaking out in new directions. Of course that was always unlikely to work out with Shane but then things were always unlikely to work out in that sense anyway.

I don't remember listening to records around that time and thinking, hmmm that production doesn't sound great, that mix could be so much better...I just liked the records and the music or I didn't. But that could be just me I'd say.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: How did I not know there was an official Strummer - Pogues live album

Post by Heston »

I don't get hung up on production that much but I thought P and L had a technical fault when I first heard it, the vocals were that low.

Also, what did they do to Blue Heaven that was so radically different?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I would clarify and say my empathy for P&L probably isn't entirely a rational thing. I actually bought it on the same day as Earthquake Weather and I have a quite uncommon regard for that album too, so go figure!

As for Blue Heaven, it's a couple of years since I listened to the box set and I don't have it to hand. I mentioned Blue Heaven because from memory that was the most radically altered track, the one that grated with me most. Maybe I'm mistaken, just recall my ears being jolted the first time I listened to it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

It sounds like I need to get the remix of Peace and Love too. I got P&L when it came out, in cassette format. I spent a lot of time in my car in those days and it had a cassette player. I didn't have a player/recorder at home so cassette made the most sense.

My original reaction to it was disappointment but it grew on me over time but I still haven't heard most of it in about 10 years. As I look at the track listing and play the songs in my head I realize that the songs are good, some great and I really need to revisit this. The question I have, is this what sounds like superior remix available outside of the box set or do I need to bite the bullet and get the box?

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2017, 12:32pm
It sounds like I need to get the remix of Peace and Love too. I got P&L when it came out, in cassette format. I spent a lot of time in my car in those days and it had a cassette player. I didn't have a player/recorder at home so cassette made the most sense.

My original reaction to it was disappointment but it grew on me over time but I still haven't heard most of it in about 10 years. As I look at the track listing and play the songs in my head I realize that the songs are good, some great and I really need to revisit this. The question I have, is this what sounds like superior remix available outside of the box set or do I need to bite the bullet and get the box?
I'll have a dig around and send it to you this week if you like, I'll just have to locate it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
05 Feb 2017, 8:07am
revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2017, 12:32pm

I'll have a dig around and send it to you this week if you like, I'll just have to locate it.
That would be terrific. Much appreciated.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Hope Heston doesn't mind but I was listening to this earlier. So here it is.

https://mega.nz/#!PwVG0ATJ!CBsh4f76dG0s ... JbKXAnYYeQ

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Feb 2017, 10:02am

Thanks Marky. The good Doctor shared this with me as well. I assumed Heston was referring to the remix of Peace and Love since the conversation had drifted into that direction.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2017, 10:58am
Marky Dread wrote:

Thanks Marky. The good Doctor shared this with me as well. I assumed Heston was referring to the remix of Peace and Love since the conversation had drifted into that direction.
Yes I was, but if anyone has it handy feel free to upload as I will hae to rummage about in my car and find the CD as it isn't on my computer. There is about 200 CDs in my car so it could take a day or two.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
05 Feb 2017, 11:24am
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes I was, but if anyone has it handy feel free to upload as I will hae to rummage about in my car and find the CD as it isn't on my computer. There is about 200 CDs in my car so it could take a day or two.
I love this. In their cases or just scattered about.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2017, 12:40pm
Heston wrote:
There is about 200 CDs in my car so it could take a day or two.
I immediately concluded that Heston always dresses in track suits and sells stolen shit out of his car.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2017, 1:45pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
There is about 200 CDs in my car so it could take a day or two.
I immediately concluded that Heston always dresses in track suits and sells stolen shit out of his car.
That's just what it's like north of Watford Junction.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah, just scattered all over the fucking place. My car is in total dissaray.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
05 Feb 2017, 7:37pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I've been there. My current car has Bluetooth though so I just dump albums to my phone and play them thru there. I think I have 3 CDs in my car now.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2017, 9:11pm
Heston wrote:
05 Feb 2017, 7:37pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:

I've been there. My current car has Bluetooth though so I just dump albums to my phone and play them thru there. I think I have 3 CDs in my car now.
I'm still there. There are two 200 cd books in my car, as well as probably about 100 loose, most in the console, but some in the back seat and front floorboards.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"