How did I not know there was an official Strummer - Pogues live album

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

How did I not know there was an official Strummer - Pogues live album

Post by revbob » 29 Jan 2017, 9:57am

...Or is my memory going on me? Either way I don't have it and can seemingly only find it on vinyl which I really don't have the ability to play.

laxman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: How did I not know there was an official Strummer - Pogues live album

Post by laxman » 29 Jan 2017, 12:45pm

I think it was a Recordstore Day release on vinyl. It is out on CD too but in a box set ("30 Years"). I don't think it has been released on CD separately.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob » 29 Jan 2017, 2:52pm

laxman wrote:
29 Jan 2017, 12:45pm
I think it was a Recordstore Day release on vinyl. It is out on CD too but in a box set ("30 Years"). I don't think it has been released on CD separately.
Thanks laxman and thanks Doc who hooked me up with a copy. I like it but wish there were more songs from RRFM and RSL or even PIM.

AudioAmmunition
Corner Soul

Post by AudioAmmunition » 30 Jan 2017, 7:17am

Is there any chance someone could upload a copy of this. I am also a big Pogues fan but already had all the other albums in the box so couldn't really justify the cost just for the live album. Many thanks to anyone who could help.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 30 Jan 2017, 7:39am

AudioAmmunition wrote:
30 Jan 2017, 7:17am
Is there any chance someone could upload a copy of this. I am also a big Pogues fan but already had all the other albums in the box so couldn't really justify the cost just for the live album. Many thanks to anyone who could help.
I'll say that the remixed Red Roses for Me and, in particular, Peace and Love, are superior to the previohs versions.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

laxman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by laxman » 30 Jan 2017, 3:24pm

Silent Majority wrote:
30 Jan 2017, 7:39am
AudioAmmunition wrote:
I'll say that the remixed Red Roses for Me and, in particular, Peace and Love, are superior to the previohs versions.
I haven't bought that box set yet but I am tempted now!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista » 30 Jan 2017, 3:40pm

I've spent the last 8 years trying to comprehend that Wire had a new record. :shifty:
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 30 Jan 2017, 4:13pm

tepista wrote:
30 Jan 2017, 3:40pm
I've spent the last 8 years trying to comprehend that Wire had a new record. :shifty:
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread » 31 Jan 2017, 11:44pm

laxman wrote:
30 Jan 2017, 3:24pm
Silent Majority wrote:
AudioAmmunition wrote:
Don't buy it. Get the individual CD's as other than getting the live Joe/Pogues disc all the albums contain no extras.

AudioAmmunition
Corner Soul

Post by AudioAmmunition » 01 Feb 2017, 9:05am

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jan 2017, 11:44pm
laxman wrote:
30 Jan 2017, 3:24pm
Silent Majority wrote:
AudioAmmunition wrote:
Don't buy it. Get the individual CD's as other than getting the live Joe/Pogues disc all the albums contain no extras.

My approach exactly Marky, I never generally buy re-issues unless there's extra material on them. I have the other Pogues box set - 'Look Them Straight In The Eye' which is a good collection with lots of otherwise unavailable stuff on it.

Unfortunately cannot find the Pogues / Joe live album on sale individually anywhere (except on vinyl), the download sites sell some of the tracks individually from the 30 years set but not the live tracks.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston » 01 Feb 2017, 9:14am

I agree with Maj, the box is box is worth it for the remixed Red Roses and Peace and Love. Both serious upgrades.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Feb 2017, 7:28pm

Heston wrote:
01 Feb 2017, 9:14am
I agree with Maj, the box is box is worth it for the remixed Red Roses and Peace and Love. Both serious upgrades.
Red Roses is not a serious upgrade to my ears just a little subtler while Pece and Love was remixed by Steve Lilliwhite and has Shane further up in the mix.

I never minded the original RRfM.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob » 02 Feb 2017, 11:23pm

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Feb 2017, 7:28pm
Heston wrote:
Red Roses is not a serious upgrade to my ears just a little subtler while Pece and Love was remixed by Steve Lilliwhite and has Shane further up in the mix.

I tend to agree with this statement, its a grest album. I have the original vinyl release and later bought it on CD for a few bucks while traveling back in the late 90s.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston » 03 Feb 2017, 5:22am

revbob wrote:
02 Feb 2017, 11:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

I tend to agree with this statement, its a grest album. I have the original vinyl release and later bought it on CD for a few bucks while traveling back in the late 90s.
Have to disagree. It's a great collection of songs but sounded like shit. Just listening to Streams of Whiskey on the remix, you can hear stuff that was inaudible on the original release, especially the rumble of the drums.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 03 Feb 2017, 5:37am

Heston wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 5:22am
revbob wrote:
02 Feb 2017, 11:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Have to disagree. It's a great collection of songs but sounded like shit. Just listening to Streams of Whiskey on the remix, you can hear stuff that was inaudible on the original release, especially the rumble of the drums.
I wasn't even sure there were traditional drums on that song til the remix. Could have been a beer tray getting clapped before.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/