The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Inder
corecore vanguard

The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by Inder »

Because holy shit everything is terrible and everyone is bad.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Neoliberalism has been discredited, providing an opening for a resurgent humanist left in mainstream political discourse for the first time in a good forty or fifty years. That ain't full on optimism, but possibility.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I got nothing. All I'm praying for is cleansing fire from heaven.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Because those in charge heart's can't beat forever?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

A cleansing fire from heaven. Because it's being prayed for, and would prove existence of a more merciful God than Prosperity Jesus.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I got a round trip ticket to Guadeloupe from JFK for $160. The food is delicious and the beer is cold. I haven't read a lick of news in a week.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:29pm
I got a round trip ticket to Guadeloupe from JFK for $160. The food is delicious and the beer is cold. I haven't read a lick of news in a week.
The last several years I've been telling B that we should retire in Costa Rica. Cheap living and a nation without a standing army. And no shovelling snow in January. I'm not making much headway, tho. Then again, I'm skeptical that I'll actually survive to retirement age (wait, is that optimism or not?).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:38pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
The last several years I've been telling B that we should retire in Costa Rica. Cheap living and a nation without a standing army. And no shovelling snow in January. I'm not making much headway, tho. Then again, I'm skeptical that I'll actually survive to retirement age (wait, is that optimism or not?).
Consider yourself dissuaded: http://www.govisitcostarica.com/blog/po ... -rica.aspx

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Baseball season is coming.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Two married friends of mine quit their jobs and moved to CR a few years ago — they're doing great and loving it there.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Mimi wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:42pm
Now this I can get behind. 😎👌

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Consider yourself dissuaded: http://www.govisitcostarica.com/blog/po ... -rica.aspx
Aw, a big kitty cat!
Inder wrote:
Two married friends of mine quit their jobs and moved to CR a few years — they're doing great and loving it there.
I just want to die with the sun on my face and rice and black beans in my gaunt stomach.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Inder wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:43pm
Mimi wrote:
Last baseball season I was happy for like four days. This year I expect we can DOUBLE that!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:56pm
Inder wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:43pm
Mimi wrote:
Last baseball season I was happy for like four days. This year I expect we can DOUBLE that!
You guys always lead the league in playing the game the right way. That's gotta be worth something.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Inder wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Two married friends of mine quit their jobs and moved to CR a few years ago — they're doing great and loving it there.
Costa Rica is past the knife. I was in Colombia last April and have serious thoughts about calling it home. Guadeloupe is pretty sweet. Look up a Bokit sandwich.