The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Inder »

Kory wrote:
Inder wrote:
tepista wrote:the pre-facial hair stuff was best, nerds.
I'm with Tep.

With the Beatles
Please Please Me
Revolver
Hard Day's Night
Rubber Soul
White Album
MMT
Pepper
Help!
Beatles For Sale
Abbey Road
Let it Be
I'm very interested in both of your reasoning. I love that stuff too, but it's rare-ish to hear this opinion.
For a start — The Beatles were genuinely peerless over those first albums. No one in popular music sounded like they did, wrote songs like they did or sung like they did. WtB and PPM packaged the soul of those great early Motown singles alongside Everly harmonies, Orbison's sense of drama, rockabilly guitars, and impressive stylistic depth (Ask My Why's Latin-esque stuff, Don't Bother Me's cha-cha) into great uptempo rock and roll. Really well written material (IIRC, most songs over the first few albums were designed to be possible singles), especially when you put it up against the Stones or the Kinks' early recordings.

The first couple of albums capture a shit hot live band with serious songwriting chops and something to prove, which is probably why they're my favourites.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Inder wrote:
Kory wrote:
Inder wrote:
tepista wrote:the pre-facial hair stuff was best, nerds.
I'm with Tep.

With the Beatles
Please Please Me
Revolver
Hard Day's Night
Rubber Soul
White Album
MMT
Pepper
Help!
Beatles For Sale
Abbey Road
Let it Be
I'm very interested in both of your reasoning. I love that stuff too, but it's rare-ish to hear this opinion.
For a start — The Beatles were genuinely peerless over those first albums. No one in popular music sounded like they did, wrote songs like they did or sung like they did. WtB and PPM packaged the soul of those great early Motown singles alongside Everly harmonies, Orbison's sense of drama, rockabilly guitars, and impressive stylistic depth (Ask My Why's Latin-esque stuff, Don't Bother Me's cha-cha) into great uptempo rock and roll. Really well written material (IIRC, most songs over the first few albums were designed to be possible singles), especially when you put it up against the Stones or the Kinks' early recordings.

The first couple of albums capture a shit hot live band with serious songwriting chops and something to prove, which is probably why they're my favourites.
Because Rock and Roll. Because 1-2-3-4. Because she was just 17. You know what I mean? Because we're rockin in 2x2. I like Strawberry Fields, but I like You Can't Do That better. Same reason Paul Revere & the Raiders are better than Pink Floyd. It's gotta be rock n roll music if you wanna dance with me.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tepista J. Werewolf
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

"Baby's in Black" is about trying to bang at a funeral.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:40pm
"Baby's in Black" is about trying to bang at a funeral.
And dealing with blueballs?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Unpopular Beatles take ahead …

I'm reading this book about Revolver, so I gave it a couple spins again. "Tomorrow Never Knows" is still my favourite Beatles song by a far stretch and "Love You To" has surprisingly improved in my estimation. But I just can't warm to "Got To Get You Into My Life." Those horns just don't work with the Beatles. It's jarring and not in a way that makes the song more appealing.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 8:56pm

I'm reading this book about Revolver, so I gave it a couple spins again. "Tomorrow Never Knows" is still my favourite Beatles song by a far stretch and "Love You To" has surprisingly improved in my estimation. But I just can't warm to "Got To Get You Into My Life." Those horns just don't work with the Beatles. It's jarring and not in a way that makes the song more appealing.
*grumble grumble grumble*
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I just can't warm to "Got To Get You Into My Life." Those horns just don't work with the Beatles.
I'm with that. never a fave

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

tepista wrote:
22 Jan 2017, 2:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I just can't warm to "Got To Get You Into My Life." Those horns just don't work with the Beatles.
I'm with that. never a fave
Yeah. Not skippable, not much else.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I prefer the EW&F version.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
23 Jan 2017, 11:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I prefer the EW&F version.
I won't say I like it exactly—there's a show biz slick to it—but it is better.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Which book?

Love You To is one of those songs I usually skip, but always blows me away when it occasionally sneaks in. The fuzz/drone bits coming in and out are fantastic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
23 Jan 2017, 12:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Which book?

Love You To is one of those songs I usually skip, but always blows me away when it occasionally sneaks in. The fuzz/drone bits coming in and out are fantastic.
It's kind of proctological and not as much social history as I had hoped, but it's a decent account.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Pepper remixed and expanded reissue —

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I knew that they were putting out a new and remastered (already?) edition, but I didn't know it'd be six discs. I probably have all the extras via all those boots, but still, hot diggity! So many versions of "Within You Without You" to skip over …